Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed..........a setback???

Disappointed..........a setback???

I no longer know if this is MEDICAL or BEHAVIORAL so I'll post here. I found a rather large pee spot on a pillow tonight. It is in the far bedroom (the cat room) and I know it was not there at breakfast, but I do not know when it happened. It could have been any time between 7 am. and 8 p.m. and it could have been ANY cat. Needless to say I am a little sad and afraid the problem will start all over if I do not figure out who is the culprit.
    This evening (5:30) was Sterling's first dose of the amitriptylin in cream form placed in the ear. Could that have made the difference? I don't know.
    DRATS.

Jen, I have no clue! I'm sorry wish I could help you out. Where I'm concerned you've been my expert! Good luck!

That's too bad. It's so hard when there's so many (I know). Kevin found some pee in our magazine basket last night. Of course we have NO idea either. We find something like this every onece in a while. I sure hope you get yours solved soon.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Poor Jen.... I sure hope the ear cream works for you.... I know you have been through so much! I don't know what else to suggest, except that you might have to start secluding one cat at a time for a few days, just to be certain who it is that has the problem!?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Uh oh!

I really hope the ear cream works for you. I forget, did this start happened after one of the fosters came? I ask because Micah has been doing this too, but only on my work shirts! I'm not sure if its the smell of other cats/dogs/etc or if he's mad with the foster kittens.

I added lots of Rescue Remedy to their water and he hasn't done it in two days. That...and I hid my shirts!

I sure hope you can get this figured out. Its been sad and frustrating for me as Micah just had a urinalysis and I know its not a physical thing.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Jen I'm so sorry. How frustrating to get this far and have a set back. Just a thought but is this the kind of meds they will have to be weened off? If so then I would think there would still be enough in his system from the oral even if the cream isn't is strong. That is if he had a dose of oral yesterday.

I want you to know I now feel your pain. I watched Ripley back up to my freshly painted wall and spray all over it and my brand new carpet. The carpet hadn't even been down 24 hours when he did it this morning. I'm going to post about it to see if anyone has suggestions.

Hang in there and please share any suggestions.

From Decker with Love

Sorry Jen, that's a setback you didn't need.

Maybe we need a Urinators Anonymous group. Someone widdled on our bathroom vanity basin the other day, filled up the indentation that holds soap
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out which cat did this and that the meds will continue to work. Good luck and try not to get too discouraged.

I thought that I had sams peeing over except now that I have found that he has been going on the spare bed in the basement and in the dirt around the water meter.I love him and if it means more cleaning , then so be it. But I know what you are going through as there is a smell in the house that I may nevr lose!Oi Ve!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well, I actually caught Sterling spraying the wall. I will be calling the vet in the morning to find out if there is a possibility that the cream form is not as effective as the pill form (since that seems to be the only thing that has changed).
    Wish us luck...........Sterling is in solitary for the duration.

Oh Jen, sorry I'm late getting to this thread and sorry for the setback. I'm surprised that the cream is not helping and maybe the pills are the way to go. Poor you and poor Sterlling. You've certainly had your hands full lately and I wish there was something I could do to help.

And once again, I count my blessings because I've never had any peeing or pooping problems at all (**knock on wood, I mean, my head **)

Please keep us updated as to what the vet says.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Different reactions to the meds

Jen, it is my understanding that the cream form does have some differences in the doses, as the actual medication is diluted by the cream. I would contact the vet and see if increases the amount or frequency would be ok or recommended.

When I first took Miley to an emergency vet when she had the puncture wounds from Ti's bites, the vet there at the time would not give me a prescription for the cream with amitpline because he didn't believe anyone would ever be able to determine the amount of medicine being supplied. However, other vets prescribe it all the time, and it works. I think the secret is to get the right dose.

Please keep us posted....and keep a stiff upper lip.

Remember, sometimes kitties are happier in a single cat household....or in some cases, just a different household. I know it sounds like a real heart breaking situation/decision, and I wouldn't want to be in your place. As long as you find your kitty, just the right house, you will be surprised how much happier everyone will be.......and then, maybe everything will work out without having to rehome the kitty. Rehoming is not "giving up" on the kitty, merely adjusting the kitty to a new living situation. The kitty will survive. Really.

I hope I have not offened you but just given you some food for thought.

SAS

No offense SAS, just tears. I feel that even if Sterling would adjust elsewhere, I would not. After all, he was FINE......perfectly FINE.......until I brought in too many and why should HE have to be the one to leave?
    But the other nagging thought is" What if I rehome Sterling and it doesn't stop, and then I rehome Jim and it doesn't stop.......?" And possibly Bonnie would have to go next, as she was the one who may well have started this whole problem.............See my problem, what if I get rid of my kitty only to find out I did not have to, that is was someone else all the time? Once they are gone, there is no going back.

As for the medicine, they vet asked me the dose of my pills so the cream could be made accordingly and supposedly that amount is in the dose that I am to use. (In this case, the dose is 5 mg and I administer .1 ml.....so 5mg in .1 ml)

Tomorrow morning I will be giving him a pill (not cream) and then I will talk to the vet when the office opens.

Oh Jen i'm so sorry to hear of your setback.
    I hope and pray that the meds take effect or whatever is bothering Sterling will soon be solved.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Don't blame yourself...

Jen, you were/are merely trying to take care of your pets and those in need of a new home. Some kitties adjust better than others.

I know how you feel about Sterling. It would be like me giving Miley a new home, when Ti was the last arrival..... I was more committed to Miley, since I had had her for much longer.

What about a cat behaviorist? Are there any around you? The one I was to engage was not that expensive, although I didn't keep Ti and didn't use her services. I was going to though.

Prayers coming your way!

L,
    SAS