Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay! San Francisco to ban declawing!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Yay! San Francisco to ban declawing!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

What a wonderful (potential) acolade for San Francisco...To be the first American state to ban declawing, would be a triumph indeed.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Well, we're just a city, but a big-little city. North Hollywood was the first city in California to ban declawing; San Francisco is just following suit. I hope it passes!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Yay San Fran! I hope it passes
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Originally posted by RedHedd
    Well, we're just a city, but a big-little city. North Hollywood was the first city in California to ban declawing; San Francisco is just following suit. I hope it passes!

not me!!!!! and I DO have MY reasons!!!

just kidding......
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    not me!!!!! and I DO have MY reasons!!!
    just kidding......
    God, I just spit up again....... **snort** ** snicker**
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Yeah!!! This is wonderful news!!! I sure hope that it passes and then hopefully other cities will follow suit.

Ok @ the risk of upsetting many Ptalkers I just want to say this.

I hope that by banning declawing in San Fransico & possibly all of CA that the humane societies don't see a decrease in cat adoptions.
    I know some people will be thinking GOOD, cause if a person who adopts a cat declaws a cat they don't deserve a cat.
    I just can't help but think that banning declawing will allow less people to adopt & leave more cats in cages Which doesn't sound good to me either!

Originally posted by nodgeness
    Ok @ the risk of upsetting many Ptalkers I just want to say this.

I hope that by banning declawing in San Fransico & possibly all of CA that the humane societies don't see a decrease in cat adoptions.
    I know some people will be thinking GOOD, cause if a person who adopts a cat declaws a cat they don't deserve a cat.
    I just can't help but think that banning declawing will allow less people to adopt & leave more cats in cages Which doesn't sound good to me either!
    You might see an reduction in adoptions at the beginning but the cats which are adopted are a lot more likely to stay adopted not returned to the shelters because of declawing issues (i.e.cat biting or not using litter tray etc)

In the long run it is SO much better for cats.

PS. Don't forget at the beginning people will still be able to adopt cats which are in shelters because they are already declawed.

Encouraging news!!! I hope it passes this time. I do think legislation is the only way to get across the message that this is not a benign procedure for a cat.

Good news, let's hope it passes and gives a good example for other states to follow...

And do declawed cats really have a better chance to be adopted? Here in Germany, cats are not declawed and yet they are the most popular pets in our households...

Kirsten

Originally posted by Kirsten

And do declawed cats really have a better chance to be adopted? Here in Germany, cats are not declawed and yet they are the most popular pets in our households...
    How true!!!
    I hope this time it will pass!!! I have to agree with Kirsten that although declawing over here is illegeal it has no influence on the number of adoptions...
    ...I also hope that one day there will be only "no-kill" shelters across America, too...so there wouldn't be the choice to either declaw or having a healthy cat put down in a shelter...

But for now congrats to the City of SF for trying to make a difference!!!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

bisi.
    Question for you. In Germany they only have no-kill shelters? If that's the case I totally wish they would do that here in the US!
    No kill shelters would make the declawing issue a little better for me. Although it still leaves cats in cages.
    Also to PIF & not just to you, I see many people post about cats having declawing issues, I have never seen a cat have any of the problems talked about in these threads. All the "declawed" cats I've seen have been healthy happy little guys that have none of the issues discussed. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying I've yet to see it happen.
    Last edited by nodgeness; 09-20-2003 at 10:07 AM.

some of my Cats came declawed , and some with clwas and the main difference that I see is that when the Cat gets older , they cant groom the back of thier tail as well. And you have to make sure not to let them out as they cant get away. I willnever declaw a Cat , but then again I dont have expensive , scratchable things!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by nodgeness
    bisi.
    Question for you. In Germany they only have no-kill shelters?
    Yes, that's true!

As in the No-Kill Shelters in America it's only allowed to euthanzie an animal 1) in case it's seriously ill (with no chance of recovery) meaning the animal has, due to the illness, no quality of life and only suffers or 2) in case it's been severly aggressive towards humans...
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)