11 52.38%
  • Nutro Light (if they have Hairball)

2 9.52%
  • Other (

6 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help finding a "Light" Food :(

Need Help finding a "Light" Food :(

Well, I have been feeding Kylie Royal Canin for almost as long as I have had her. And since she has started to get portly, I have been giving her the "Slim" version.
    She really needs a hairball version b/c she has been coughing up more hairballs lately than she did on the Royal Canin Indoor Version.

I have been thinking of switching her to a light hairball formula for awhile and can't decide which to try. I absolutely LOVE Royal Canin and swear by it but apparently it is too rich for her blood! Surprise seeing's that she is such a princess!!!
    I can't decide to try Iams Hairball light, Science Diet Hairball light, or Nutro.
    I am not a big fan of Iams, but the people that have used it swear by it as do the people with Science Diet.
    Any thoughts?
    I won't be around this weekend so I won't respond until at least Monday.
    Thanks!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Out of these three I've voted for Science Diet, because I'm afraid that Nutro doesn't offer a Hairball Control/Slim Diet and I am also not fond of IAMS...

But if your Kylie loves Royal Canine Slim Diet so much, why don't you stick with it!?
    I've tried such a lot of different Hairball Control Diets on Nellie (because she has the hairball problem, too), but none of the diets really worked...so instead of changing her diet I would suggest to try an add some olive oil (or similar) to her food and give her malt paste...and of course a daily grooming session is helpful for the cat and fun for the purrson!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

Former User Guest
    I would also choose Hill's, as we're not fond of Iams either, it turns the cats coats weird, they feel filthy, sort of matted (that's with our cats, that is)

Lovable has been eating Pro Plan Extra Care Indoor Cat formula. He likes it, and it has been helping with the hairballs.
    Here is a link about it.

Pro Plan Indoor Cat Formula
    Steffi and Lovable

I voted for Nutro Light Formula. The actual name is Nutro Complete Care Weight Management Formula. It causes less shedding, fewer hairballs, and less vomiting. It also has 30% less fat than the adult formula to help manage your cat's weight. It contains L-Carnitine to help the body burn fat. My cats also love the taste. Here's the link to it: www.nutroproducts.com. Good luck with whatever you decide. BTW I also give my cats Laxa-Stat at least once a week to help control hairballs too.

My cats eat Iams Hairball Light. I tried Nutro (I mixed hairball with light) and Bassett hated it. I've never seen a Science Diet Hairball light - does this exist? Although I know all the "evils" of Iams, I did ask my vet about it and the cats also really like the taste. I mix that with a Canadian food called "Medi-Cal" reducing formula (Bassett and Nutmeg are both tubby, and Tilly is just right, so she doens't need to gain!) and that mix seems to work best for us.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Pet Gold Light Hairball Control Formula

I feed Mitzi Pet Gold Light Hairball Control Formula for my not-so-light little hairball . Now that I've got them both on a feeding schedule it does seem to be making a difference. I like this formula because the first ingredient listed is CHICKEN. Pure, unadulterated, fresh chicken. No "by products" for my furballs - they're too precious to me.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...ial+Needs&ct3=

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I know Purina have brought out new hairball one, I have not tried it yet, but am thinking of it, just a suggestion.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not totally sure that Nutro does have a light hairball formula. But I will take Tracy's word for it. I have seen that food before.
    Yes Kylie loves the Royal Canin Slim but I just don't think it is doing a suffient job, getting her weight down. And it doesn't help with the hairballs.
    She HATES anything drizzled over her food. Tuna juice, oil, doesn't matter, she won't eat it if I try anything like that. And she HATES the hairball rememedy even worse!!! If possible. I have to literally hold her down and pry her mouth open to put it in. It stresses her out and me out. Very much!!!
    I feel so mean when I do it.
    I have never heard of Pet Gold Light Hairball Control Formula, I don't think we have it around here. The closest we would have to that would be Innova, or Wellness, or Solid Gold and I have no idea where those are carried.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

we're not fond of Iams either, it turns the cats coats weird, they feel filthy, sort of matted (that's with our cats, that is)
    I agree with that, two of the cats I petsit for are on Iams and I HATE the way their fur feels. It almost makes me not want to pet them, at first I thought maybe they just needed to br brushed but that didn't help at all. Their fur just feels really gross.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Staci,

Royal Canin is coming out with breed specific cat foods that really may help. I'm waiting for the "Maine Coon" variety to come out for Noah..he needs hairball stuff too and that's one of the things in the food. It also encourages CHEWING the food instead of inhaling it like my Noah likes to do. I *think* it helped with their weight too. I know Kylie isn't a maine coon, but I bet it would help her a lot.

Does brushing Kylie's fur help at all?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I voted for the Sci Diet.

Recently, I tried to switch K'Cee over to the Royal Canin. I started mixing it with her sci diet; she ate around the new stuff--totally wouldn't touch it. Then, she decided she liked it. But after a couple days, her stool became hard as a rock; she had trouble going potty. Soooo...back to the sci diet for us!

Clarice and Tinker are both on the light/senior hairball formula. It doesn't cut out hairballs completely, but we have def. seen a difference.

First, have you tried the Zoom Groom brush for cats? I know many people who swear that the Zoom Groom picks up more hair than any other brush. I haven't tried it myself but here's a link:

Zoom Groom

There are also these treats that are also supposed to help:

Hairball Prevention

I really can't say that IAMS is better than Science Diet, or the other way around. Actually, I try to stay away from both of them! If Nakita needed a food for hairball control, I would go with the Flint River Hairball Management Formula. Click on the link and scroll halfway down the page to find the description:

Flint River

You may also try a higher fibre diet for you cat. This will help with any blockages that may occur because of the fur. Try adding a half a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to some wet food.

Also, many cats will lose more weight on canned food rather than dry food. So you might want to feed your cat more wet food and you will have the added benefit of getting more water into your cat! It also couldn't hurt to talk to your vet about your concerns. He/she may be a couple of other suggestions.

Good luck!

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

My cats like Iams , but I keep hearing that they have changed the Formula too much. So I got the Eukanuba to give them more protein. But I thonk that most of the Premium brands are the same. Moose swears by the Weight control Nutro Complete Care , some like the Pro plan indoor Cat , some Thge Royal Canin indoor Cat ansd some The Science Diet Chicken and Rice.And they mostly all like Fancy Feast and Whiskas Temptations!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Obviously I can't say I know anything about cat food, but we have decided to change Cincy to California Naural Reduced Calorie food, for about the same reason...the Sensible Choice just doesn't seem to be doing it. I chose California Natural becuase of the reputation of their products (Heathwise, Innova, etc) and becuase it is all human grade food.

The website is here . On this site you can comapre the ingredients of many foods, find a store near you (there is one in Findlay, one in Lima, a 2 in Toledo), and see all their products. I did not see any that were "reduced hairball", but if you see something you want to try, I can pick up a bag and bring it to you the 19th.