Thread: why doesn't my dog play?

why doesn't my dog play?

I have a great pyrenese male about 2.5 years old and he won't play any games with us. We've had him since he was pup and all he wants is to be petted.

Some dogs are just like that. My sheltie's only a year old and I've NEVER seen the puppy side of him. He does play once in a while but for a majority of the time, he's very mellow. The reason we got a sheltie was because they were some-what "active". Kai is anything but that! Lol I literally have to pull him closer to me because he's lagging so much during walks. But I wouldn't have it any other way

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Re: why doesn't my dog play?

A warm welcome to Pet Talk lizelizard,
    I hope to see some pictures of your pups.

I am not sure why some dogs play and others don't.
    I will assume dogs, like people have their
    own distinct personality.
    Some dogs are just so laid back.

We had a little terrier many years ago, that
    only played while she was in the puppy stage.
    Once she matured she acted like an independent old fart. lol

----<---<--<{(@

My dog, Rosco (he's in heaven now) was that way. He never really had a puppy side. He was always really relaxed. I don't think anything is wrong with that. It's probably just his personality.

My siberian husky is the same way .. She will not play no matter what lol. She just loves to be petted on the head or having her belly rubbed. some dogs are just like that ...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

A very good friend of mine has a Greater Pyreneese as does his family and a couple of neighbors. The Pyreneese are great dogs, but by nature are just not playful. We always joke around about how much they lounge around and don't seem to really burst out much energy (especially compared to my GSD). I wouldn't worry too much. You just got yourself a breed with a notoriously low-activity level. There is probably nothing wrong with him. It's just a trait of the breed. For those of us who have dogs that want to play 95% of the day, having a dog with a lower activity level doesn't always sound too bad .

Pyrs are a giant breed. Giant breeds tend to be less energetic. They like to mope around, and are very calm and gentle. This is why they are wonderful for small children.
    I've been BOO'd!

Agreed. The Pyrs I know are extremely tolerant of small children and seem willing to take quite a bit "abuse" at their hands.

I had ...have...err..... okay I have one pitbull lab mix left, Named Kiddi who is 7 years old, and will not play, unless it is me or the BF doing pretend moves toward her, and that usually just sends her darting back and forth across the house, or doing body plops at our feet so we can rub her. She has NEVER shown an interest in toys... just cookies and bones...other treats.

Shina, on the other hand, my 17 year old pit lab who just passed recently, LOVED to play. She would keep herself entertained even if nobody was there to play with her! I know many times I woke up in the morning to hear her in the other room, or even in her bed next to me, on her back, and just playing with her beloved squeaky toys... I would normally just lay there and giggle, and if I were within eyesight of her...she would stop, toy in mouth, look at her mommy, and wag her tail... I could go on and on .....

So, Yep! I think its personality...definately! I have two of the exact same breed of dog, and two totally different girls!

Like others have said the giant breeds are laid back.Our pyr was very laid back plus they get hot really easily and to us what is warm to them with little exertion is hot.When our great pyrenees played it was in the winter in the snow.He did like snow and some like carting or pulling you or the kids on a sled.It can be lots of fun.Watch your dog for over doing it but in the cold to us is much more their comfort level.In the summer it was air conditioning and lots of cuddleing.He was the kids pillow.We live in Maryland.What wonderful ,beautiful dogs.So very loving.Our giant breed now is a Leonberger laid back too but no drool.
    Laurie and the gang

Don't let my "name" fool ya, I do also have a black lab/boxer mix who barely plays. She is going on 6 and for the first five years she never played. Mellow, lazy, laid back...

Now that we have the two cats, she plays with their toys. Now we can't convince her she isn't a big cat and that tennis balls and squeeky toys are for her. Nothing like seeing an 80 lb dog prance with a tiny little catnip mouse.

I think in her case, she didn't understand the idea of playing???

Same with me! I had 2 black labs, shadow and jackson(they are both gone now ) and jackson was, well still VERY hyper because the breed is, but he would completely mellow out after a minute or so, and my other lab shadow didnt even calm down at 8-9 years old, he was always wired!! lol So it's definatly just the personality, alot of people lable dogs, like labs=hyper, rottweilers=visious, but they are actually like people, no matter where they come from and all that, they still have their own feelings and personailtys

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!