Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a personal recommendation

a personal recommendation

I am just writing to recommend a company that I just had great service from.

The company is called CEDARSACK and they are located in Redmond Washington. The manufacture pet beds.

The cedarsack that I bought for my dog about 2 years ago did not held up to my expectations and so I sent the company an e-mail telling them. The very next day I heard back from them, telling me that they would replace my defective bed. I just received the new bed today and I am thrilled to deal with a company that did not make me jump through any unnescessary hoops.

I just adopted a new puppy and I can tell you that I will purchase a CEDARSACK for her when the time comes for her to leave my bed and have her own!!!

It is so nice to deal with a company who stand behind their product and want to make their customers happy!

Oooo, Lane, I am hoping it was a figure of speech for you to say when the puppy leaves your bed for her own. If not then please as soon as possible stop the puppy sleeping with you in your bed. It will confuse the pup as to her status, make her hard to train to be on her own and may cause very many problems in the future.

OOOH, Carrie. There may be specific dogs where that approach is necessary, however, for the average pup, I don't see it as a problem. All of our dogs have slept in our bed. To me the act of sharing my bed with my dogs is one of the most rewarding aspects of having a dog. There is a bonding and a closeness that is so enjoyable. As we all cuddle up together, I say to myself.."This is what I want Heaven to be like, it doesn't get any better than this."

As a puppy my Bailey was placed in a cage at night for housebreaking purposes. She would go to her cage willingly and be quiet all night. After a couple weeks and no messes in her cage, she started whinning after being put to bed. It was like she was telling me, "Okay, I am able to not have an accident, so now I can sleep with you guys".
    And she did, for the rest of her life. One night my husband had to take an out of town trip so I was alone. I had a little trouble getting to sleep that night, but I just lay there in the dark with my eyes closed. After about 20 minutes, I felt Bailey arise from her corner of the bed, gently step over me and go to the corner by the nightstand. It was then I heard in the stillness, her lapping as she helped herself to some refreshment from my glass of water. I wondered how many times, unbeknownst to me, we had shared the same glass of water.

Actually Dharma has slept on her own once, and came to the bed in the morning. And sometimes when I take her outside in the middle of the night, she comes back in and heads for the sofa, which is where Odin prefers to sleep. Maybe I will leave her there one time and see what happens. I guess I am more comfortable having her in bed with me at this point so I know what she is doing. I don't mind her on the bed now but I can see it becoming a a challenge if she actually grows into the BIG dog we think she's going to be!
    I wonder what others think of having their puppies sleep with them...

Jeffrey sleeps with me and Bandit sleeps with my daughter.

RachelJ I love that story!! It does make you wonder doesn't it!!!! That is tooo funny!

We also used a crate for overnight training purposes and as they proved themselves "potty trained" they were all allowed to eventually sleep with us except my standard poodle. There just wasn't room! She really wanted to though. It was a shame. I often said she was a toy poodle trapped in a standard's body! Occasionally my miniature poodle would sleep with the kids. There were times when she would be sleeping with me and my son would come into the room and take her to his bed! I think having a doggie in their bed helped when there was a nightmare. They had some furry protection right there!

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited December 16, 2000).]

Personally, I would prefer that my dogs not sleep in my bed. They don't usually want to anyway as they prefer my daughter. The cat usually cuddles up at the top of my head. I haven't tried to discipline the dogs too much from getting in bed with Helen, but they do take up a lot of space. I am hoping, Carrie, that I can be the Alpha Dog, by not letting them sleep with me! Of course, this morning, Helen has a fever and is in my bed. Guess who's in there with her?

Yah Daisy sleeps with me too. She was crate trained and slept in that until she was about 9 months old, mostly because my mother insisted she didn't want Daisy in any of the beds. Then in June we had a big heat wave and the only room with air conditioning is the office upstairs, so we all slept up there, including Daisy. Then the heat died down but Daisy was destined to sleep upstairs with me forever, having proved herself obedient enough Of course, if she is mad at me, just to spite me she will sleep on a couch or in my sister's bed. I agree that sleeping with a warm little puppy is one of the best parts about having a dog. Night time is special for Daisy and me, we have little rituals that we have gotten into (such as me carrying her up the stairs... I'm starting to think that one has to stop though, she's more than half of my body weight!!). Anyway, I understand what Carrie is saying, and I think that you should make sure your dog is fully trained before she gets the treat of sleeping in your bed. Or should I say before YOU get the treat of having your warm doggie sleep next to you? It's hard to fall asleep without the smell of those yummy Frito feet!!!

[This message has been edited by Daisy's Mom (edited December 16, 2000).]

Hercules sleeps on my bed too. It is so funny he rolls over on his back and streches out right next to me like a humane. then he lays his head back and his rotty lips fall back and looks like he's smiling. one morning my mom took a picture of me and Herc sleeping.
    My other two dogs sleep under my bed.
    There's going to be a rude awakening if anyone trys to break in to my room

My two dachshunds also share our bed. We have no dominance problems with them. I think it took my husband awhile to get used to it,( I had the dogs first) but now he wouldnt have it any other way either.

A large breed, on the other hand, I would not allow this even as a pup, since it would be harder to re-train the dog after it got too large. I had my husky/retreiver trained to sleep beside my bed from the day I brought him home, and he was happy there.

I forgot to mention about pet beds.. I have two monogrammed LL Bean beds that have stood the test of time ( they get lots of daytime use), one is 9 years old and one is 6:-) Even the monograms are still in great shape!

My greyhound sleeps on my bed, it is so comforting to have her her head on my knees as I fall asleep. When we are at my parents house she is forbid up on the bed and usually she does very well,not getting on them. But last week when I was spending the night and having an awful time with her, getting me up every 2 hours to pee. I was at my wits end, So at 4 in the morning, she jumped up there and I was too tired to argue and she never moved. You see, the next day was my grandpa's funeral and I think she knew I needed comforting or something! The next night when we were at home she let me sleep for 9 hours and never moved off the foot of the bed!!!!

At anytime, any number of 2 dogs and 3 kitties can be found hogging the bed, the pillow, the blanket, ahhh! But, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's the most beautiful time to love them. Finally, all is quiet and they are sleeping!! Looking at their sweet faces, so peaceful!!!! Little paws and whiskers twitching as they dream. For me, it's the stuff of beautiful memories. Besides, they ususally end up in their own beds on the floor after a while. Except the kitties, of course. You couldn't PRY THEM off the pillows!

Every dog I've ever owned has been a bed sleeper, and all the FurKids (German Shepherds or Shepherd mixes) were sure who was Leader of the Pack and never challenged it. Married for 15 years and the only problem we had was that whomever the second Human was that came to bed had to shove Casey or Arrow out of the way before climbing in. Side benifit of this was that your "spot" was pre-warmed in the winter.

Shadow, a Shepherd-Husky mix that adopted me and spent 5 wonderful years before she took a way too early trip over the Rainbow Bridge, was the most dedicated bed sleeper and recliner lap dog. If I fell asleep in the recliner, she would gently climb on top and settle down in my lap. If the no picture TV buzz got to her, she'd vacate the lap and go to the bedroom bed. The bed was her art form. She would start by quietly laying beside me, head tucked under my arm. After sleep befell the Human, Shadow got *comfortable*. I often awoke with the 60 pound FurChild draped over my chest, or stomache, or her favorites of over the legs or cradled between the legs. If those positions weren't to her liking, she would slowly edge her head onto the pillow, slowly easing mine OFF onto the bed. She also enjoyed placing her neck across mine to reach the opposite corner of the pillow. Morning were always interesting - I would waken and try to wiggle my various parts to determine where the numb and unresponsive part was - and that told me where Shadow was. She pefered NOT to be disturbed until I was dressed and actually ready to take us to work; then she would rise, stretch, allow the bed to be made, and then off we went. Miss that dog a lot!

The current Kids, Cinder the little German Shepherd and Boots the orphan Kat (who was raised by Shadow) have adjusted fairly well. They frequently "play" with each other to negotiate sleeping positions beside or around Dad, but no blood is spilled and positions only change a few times per night. Lucky for the Human, he's a sound sleeper and probably misses a lot of the nightime fun.

Animals in bed? Wouldn't have it any other way. Probably buy a bigger bed if we didn't all fit so well.

/s/ Phred + Cinder & Boots

My smaller GSD (95lbs.) sleeps with us. She sleeps at my feet. (Luckily I'm short.) The larger one (110 lbs.) sleeps on my son's bed, the floor in front of my bed or guarding the front door. The larger one needs his room. He doesn't like to be cramped! In the morning, he jumps on the bed for his pets and kisses!

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***