Thread: Long/short hair

Long/short hair

How old does a kitten have to be before you know if it will be long or short haired? My mom agree'd to let me have another kitten, but my friends cat has long hair..I was thinking its possible for the father to have short hair; and the kittens..I hope..My mom doesn't want long fur cats I can't wait for my mom to move into her new place so I can get one I've decided on getting a male. I'll probably name him Kiba If I can't get one of hers, I'll adopt one from the Humane Society..but they is never really kittens there so I'm not sure about that (I want a KITTEN to introduce it to smitten..I think its the best for her)

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

We could tell Bramble was going to have medium/long hair from the first time we saw her at six weeks/seven weeks old.

She was a very fluffy kitten.

More Recent Photo

Ok, good. Thanks for your post! I hope these kittens won't have long fur..My moms consern with the fur is that it will get everywhere..like noticable and such? Is that true for your kitty? (btw those pics are sooo cute! what a sweety )

I have both long haired and short haired cats. They all shed. Sometimes short haired cats will shed just as much or more than long haired cats. Usually short haired cats are easier to groom than long haired but in my case all of my cats are fairly easy to groom. Good luck with finding a short haired kitten.

I also think that you'd have no problem introducing a male cat 1 year old or younger. Sunny and Cirrus were 8 months old and my newest furkid was 1 year old when I adopted them. You can also tell more about their personality too.

Thanks I wanted a kitten however because of certain -cough- defending issues..I won't say anything more because some ppl will get angry. Smitten isn't very friendly. At all. I just don't want the cat to fight her back where as I'm sure a little kitten wouldn't..like patches did It took Smitten atleast a week to realize the cat in the TV set glass wasn't her enemy..although I still don't think they're friends

If you have dogs (I am assuming the dogs in your sig are yours) the fur from a cat will seem like nothing! My cat Bo is a short hair, however he has the thickest undercoat known to man. You know Pigpen, from the Charlie Brown shows? Bo is like that, but instead of dirt he is constanly surrounded by fur - it floats around him when you pet him. Even with his Pigpen fur, anything he sheds is insignificant compared to dog fur...

Actually you can tell that a Cat is going to be longhaird , right from the start. If the kiten is longhaired , so will be the Cat. In this case the acorn does not fall far from the tree.A cat that is kept in all the time , will shed more than a cat that has some outdoors access!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying your friend's cat is pregnant and having kittens, or are they planning to get the cat pregnant?

Please talk with your mom and friend about how many homeless animals are out there. Do some reading on the internet. Your friend's kitty needs to be spayed so she won't have babies. So many cats are killed in shelters every single day. You sound like you love cats and give a good home. Please consider rescuing a cat.

bo- Yes, they are my dogs..but they don't live at the same place as my cat (soon to be cats ;D) live. Smitten doesn't shed much at all..I never notice a lot of fur anywhere but my mom keeps her well brushed Hm, would you say long haired cats shed a noticable difference from short haired? Even if its well brushed?

catmandu- I just ment how long does it take for their fur to grow it, they don't have a lot when their born right? I just wasn't sure how long it takes for their fur length to grow in

2kitties- I don't think you read my post fully heh. She didn't plan on having the cat get pregnant. Its her sisters cat. She is an indoor cat and got out one day (before she could be spayed..) There is never any kittens at the humane society, they go very fast. I believe the kittens at the HS would find homes quicker then my friends kittens as she'll have to search for homes. And, as I said, if I don't get one of hers, I will wait to find the perfect kitten from the HS. No pet store. Also, I posted I will -only- get a kitten as I have a 5 yr old cat now who I don't believe its fair to introduce a older male cat with claws to her as she WILL try to attack it or hiss at it atleast..I feel I am still saving a kitten because I'm not getting it from a pet store, I want the introducing to go as well as I can for my cat I have now as she seems to stress over other cats. I feel this is best for her

Thanks everyone for the comments, it will help me a lot.