Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for my dog-in-law

Prayers for my dog-in-law

My grandmother-in-law has a beautiful Cocker spaniel, Charlie. I believe that he is an English cocker, he is black with tan and white. Anyways, Charlie is 13 and has lung cancer. There is nothing else that they can do for him. I just went to visit him and it broke my heart. When I knocked on the door, he barked as usual. She opened the door, and he ran up wagging his tail as usual. I'm thinking 'oh, he's not doing to bad'. Then, from the excitement, he layed down and started gasping for air. The tumor is pushing on his larnyx, so he is often hacking. Since he is ok 50% of the time, my grandmother is having a tough time putting him to sleep. She can't stop crying and is having a rough time making the decision. Please pray that no matter what her decision is, that Charlie will not be in pain.

This isn't a picture of Charlie, but the dog on the left is what he looks like.

Oh that's terrible news. I pray that Charlie will get better. Is it possible, him getting better?

Either way, I hope he makes his journey to the RB peacfully and without pain.
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh, poor Charlie That must be so hard for her to decide what to do. I'll pray for him, and that he won't be in pain, no matter what the decison is.

Is there anything that can be done for him?
    Dayna, Alex, Phoebe, Cleo, Rolo, Scooter, & Holly

Thank you so much Popcornbird!

Tonya this is so sad and I understand completely what your grandmother-in-law is feeling. The fact that Charlie was able to run up to the door, wagging his tail says so much about what dogs are all about, doesn't it. As sick as they may get, they still love the sound of human visitors at the door. I know when my Ashley (RB) was so very sick she still came to the door with a wagging tail even though she was too sick to keep any food down. I will pray that when it is "time" your in-law will know. (((Hugs))) to all of you and especially Charlie. This is just heartbreaking.

I am sad to say that Charlie doesn't have any hope. They caught the cancer to late; it is terminal.m He is on a few meds to help with the breathing and light pain pills. The vet wasn't going to give Charlie pain pills and few breathing meds because it would ruin his liver. My grandmother said that is a ridiculous thing to worry about since he is dying anyways. As long as he dies peacefully, who cares about his liver at this point. She found another vet that was willing to prescribe meds to make Charlie as comfortable as possible.

That's good that Charlie can at least be at home instead of the sterile environment of the vets office. I hope both Charlie and your grandmother in law are alright. It's sad to lose one of your best friends.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'm so sorry for your family and especially your Grandmother I hope that Charlie will be able to stay with her comfortably, for as long as possible. What a sweet, sweet doggie. I know how very heartbroken she must be. He's been her loving companion for so many years. I'll be keeping Charlie and your Grandma in my thoughts and in my prayers. {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

bump

This is so sad to hear. I will keep them all in my prayers.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

That has to be one of the toughest decisions to make. I'll keep Charlie and you grandma-in-law in my prayers.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Poor Charlie.

*hugs to him and his family*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Prayers are being sent for Charlie and all who love him.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Oh how hard it must be for your Grandma! I'll pray that Charlie has quality of life for a while yet. Your Grandma will know when the time comes.
    How ridiculous of the vet to deny meds because it will hurt the liver of a teminal dog! Quality of life is better than quantity of life. Right now Killian is on a drug for autoimmune that is not good for his liver disease. BUT since he is on this drug (necessary for the autoimmune d), the quality of his life has gone way up. He acts so much more normally now. However, it is not good for his liver. In the end, he will most likely die from liver disease and nothing will change that. But for now, he is really enjoying life! So sometimes drugs that give quality of life, do take away quantity of life.

Prayers for Charlie and your Grandma!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I just want to let you all know that Charlie passed away. According to my mother in law, my grandmother put him to sleep last week. I had been calling to check on him, but she wasn't returning my calls. My mother in law said that she is taking it very hard. I'm going to go visit her this weekend and hopefully try to comfort her.