Thread: Twins?

Twins?

I wonder how common it is to have twin cats (or dogs) ?!?!?!?! I mean actual genetic twins - that started out as one and became two.

So many times, kittens that are born together don't look anything alike - an orange long hair and a tuxedo short hair, for instance. Yet sometimes two kittens born together look very much alike.

Hmmmm I wonder!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Re: Twins?

Originally posted by TheAntiPam

So many times, kittens that are born together don't look anything alike - an orange long hair and a tuxedo short hair, for instance.
    This is probably because a litter of kittens can have more than one father...a cat in heat can be bred by more than one male, so the litter's appearance can be pretty "colourful"...but I've never heard of genetically twins in cats, yet...that would be really interesting, but I guess this is real scientific stuff...
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

That is a good question Pam. You remember meeting Annie and Emma - and aren't they almost identical?

Emma's eyes are more golden than Annie's, but aside from that they are just about identical in size and markings.

In their case, I believe that there was just one father. All four of the kittens were orange tabbys.

Interesting question! I never heard of that actually, but I'm sure it does happen!

Kirsten