Thread: Max is Pissing me off.

Max is Pissing me off.

So far my prcious "little" gem has completely destroyed a $100 pair of Oakleys. He has also, destroyed 2 pairs of 140 Oakley's. And it's not like I just leave them around, he actually went into my hat which was on the counter and chewed them. But He's too adorable to get maad at for too long. He has also chewed on my brand new Nike Phillies hat and my other good hat I got a t a Phillies game. Any advise. I bet he won't chew on the the cheap glassses...lol!! OH , well I guess I'll have to keep them in a safe for now on.

Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant

the only advice I have it try to keep a close eye on him when you home, and if you catch him going for things you don't want him to, make sure you have a toy as a replacement.

This worked for us.

I can definately relate, our dog chewed up 2 kiddie pools, portions of our deck, and 2 cell phones!

Best of Luck, hang in there!

Michelle

yep..keep a close eye on him. You could try some training by using maybe...food or something he really likes but you know he shouldn't take. You can leave the item somewhere really accessable like say, on a coffee table. Make sure you're right at the item so you can correct at your very first oppertunity. Once he takes it, say NO! Then you can keep trying. He should catch on pretty quick..you may want to say "leave it" before you give him the chance to take it so he knows what he can take and what he can't take.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

4. I dont really have any advise fr oyou but i have to agree, I couldnt stay mad at him for long either! Max is really cute!

There was a thread here maybe a year ago about how many different items had been chewed up by our Pet Talk doggies. Some of them were unbelievable! My comment to other family members when we first got Bella at 8 weeks of age, was "if you care about it, put it way up high." Puppies will be puppies. Make sure Max has a lot of acceptable things to chew on in the meantime. This won't last forever. Oh, in the case of Bella though, now at the age of 2 1/2, she still can't resist the urge to poke her head in the bathroom trash can and grab a tissue and shred it into 100 pieces. Yuck!

P.S. Welcome to Pet Talk! I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and now live right over the bridge in NJ!

I can see why you can't stay mad at that face!!!

Max sounds a little nawtee!!!!

Abbey has desroyed 2 remotes, and my husband's cell phone--all three were left within her reach, when I went out to walk one of the other dogs--I know better, but wasn't thinking.

Otherwise, EVERYTHING stays up high or put away in cabinets or drawers--we never know what may fascinate them!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I feel your pain! When Leo was in his chewing phase, I kept him either crated while I was gone or only gave him access to a couple of rooms (baby gates work wonders). When I was home, I kept his leash on my wrist so every time he got up - I went with him or made him stay next to me.

Now Leo only chews toys or my underware (which I have learned to put in a closed hamper rather than a laundry basket). I still to this day keep my bathroom door closed so he can't get in the bathroom trash can!!!

First off, do you crate him when you aren't around?
    How old is Max?
    I have a 2 year old GR and even if ran out to my garage for something, I would shuttle her into the crate.
    When you can laugh about it, maybe you should write up a story for
    http://www.baddogs.com/index.cfm

I put a couple stories of my RB baby Shaianne on there.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I have the same problem!

When I can not watch them, I gate them off in my bedroom. For some reason, they do not chew on anything in our bedroom.
    So when I am in the shower, or doing something where I can not watch them 100% they go in the bedroom.

There favorite thing is to get kitchen towels and play tug of war!!
    But Buddy likes books, and baseball hats too!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I crate trained Owen too. And used "stationing" where he was connected to me, or to furniture near me. Regardless of age when you first get a dog you have to keep an eye on them until they learn all the rules.

Good luck! He sure is a cutie!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

lol, halter91. Stick it out, it'll be worth it! He's a beautiful dog. Trust me I feel your pain. My dogs have eaten my phone lines, cable tv, drip system, sprinklers, my walls, my couch, you name it. And they eat the stuff more then once. As soon as I repair it, it's eaten again. My husband gets so so so mad at me for it. (Like I chewed it myself.) I finally built a dog run on the side of the house and put crates inside for when I can't have my eye on them. All though I feel a bit bad for confining them, it's better then constantly scolding them and arguing with my husband. lol. Plenty of dogs toys and bones will help. And change the toys out everyday so that he doesn't get bored.

Changing toys out is the perfect solution, it worked for us. Our labbie is now 1 year old and is in the house by himself during the day.

Always, always have a replacement toy around when they go for the good stuff......it takes patience and time, but its worth it in the end!

$100 worth of new toys is so much better than having to replace $100 items all the time too!

Hope all goes well!