Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: has animal control been called on you???

wow! that has to be one of the terrified things I have ever heard..Having a gun pointed at your dogs? yikes!
    When I walk Katie and I see people, kids, and other dog ecpecially bigger dogs I always pick her up and carry her until we pass them.

Yes I have had animal control called over to us.

Leo "bit" a child. The child was teasing him and Leo gave him a little nio.
    AC came over and were very nice and told us that as long as it didn't happen again we were fine.

~Rachel

I'm just saying he should NOT be frivalous with a gun. I'm not saying I don't understand his response, he just shouldn't be drawing his gun on instinct, that can lead to a horrible accident. And f it werw civilian, older man or not, I would be attacking him harder. It is my strong opinion that no one should carry guns on the street.

well all things considered....

go to court and HOPEFULLY you can fight this.....

the worst part about it is that COPS NEVER LIE!!

he'll probably cry about feeling his 'life was in danger' or 'self defense'

My bro-in-law was an LAPD cop for years.....and while all cops aren't jerks, the stories he told of being on and off duty did not do anything to endear him to our side of the family.....

good luck and hope things go your way!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Well said, magcpen. The more I thought about this today, the more surreal and horrifying the whole scenario became. I remembered back to one day a while ago when I was out with Cody and Star on a walk. It was the first and only walk I ever attempted with a "y" connector. Well, it didn't take long before they each decided they wanted to go their separate ways, at full speed. I tried to hold on as they pulled me through a field. We came to a tree, Star on side, Cody on the other, me headed right for the tree! I HAD to let go. I captured them quickly. But I can't imagine my reaction if they had kept going, running up to another dogwalker and he/she pulled out a gun and pointed it at them, or me. I think I'd have screamed in horror and disbelief. I know for sure, I would run to them to try and protect them instinctively with little regard for my own welfare. When my Jingles and Cody both were attacked by a dog several years ago, I literally threw myself in between them to get the dog off Star and got bitten, and my finger broken in the process. Still, I never wished..."If I only had a gun."

If this had occurerd in my town, it would definitely make the news in the local paper and the whole situation would be brought in front of our Board of Selectman during our open town meeting.

If pilots on jetliners are still being denied the right to carry a firearm (in a locked box no less!!) on board their planes to protect their passengers from potential highjackers, terrorism, I have a hard time justifying the right of an untrained citizen/non law enforecement officer to carry a concealed weapon on a neighborhood street without good cause.

I read today that a Tennessee Walmart has now ARMED IT'S CHECKERS with hand guns held in hip holsters; ostensibly to prevent (???) shoplifting and robbery!! That would mean.....they SHOOT????.....WHEN???? I'd be careful how I reply the next time your checker asks "Paper of plastic??" He/she might be having a bad day!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 09-04-2003 at 05:24 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

So - what are you being charged with? Do you actually have to go to court just because you accidentally let go of your leash? I would think they'd give you a warning or two first!

I can see they guy getting scared and, since he was a police officer and carries a gun and uses it regularly, it might have just been second nature for him to pull it. I can also see him being upset that you couldn't control your dogs. But I think he owes you an apology for scaring you like that! If he wasn't wearing a uniform, you had no way of knowing he was a police officer and not some freak.

I'd probably pee my pants if somebody pulled a gun in front of me.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I don't agree with the man pulling out or even carrying a gun but I DO agree that you should only take one dog at once if you cannot control them. Who knows what will end up if it happens again. The person may not think twice about pulling the trigger.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

You're right KayAnn! And that's the scary part! It's also why I NEVER let my dogs off leash ever except in an enclosed dog friendly area or in the dead of winter, on the tidal flats, a mile or two from shore with no one in sight for miles. You never know how your dog will react to other dogs or strangers, or them to you and your dogs! I'd definitely walk them separately if there's any question you can't hold onto them. Maybe some playtime at a dog park??

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Pulling out a gun seems like an overreaction to me. While I would never react the way he did I do understand that some people get very scared. But to call animal control and drag it out like this? If someone pulled a gun on my dog I would never let my dog run at anyone again - lesson quickly learned.

I saw the clip of the Tennessee dog shot by a cop and it seems that cops need more training on how to tell friendly dog behavior from attacking dog behavior. That dog just looked happy to be out of the car romping on the side of the road til the cop killed him.

Good luck. I hope this is over for you soon and you never see the man again.

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    I have to admit that if I had a gun I might have pointed it as well. If two big dogs were running up to me I would be scared. If she didn't say that they were friendly how was the man supposed to know? All the man knew was the she couldn't control these two dogs and then she screamed that she was letting them go. And dogs are not like humans you can't reason with them. At least when you are dealing with a human criminal you can talk to them and get a better feel of what they are going to do. But something like this is sudden you don't have time to think. And the man was just looking after himself and his dog. Now don't think that I said I would shoot the dogs because that's not what I ment. But if I were in the situation I would have the gun ready just in case they started to bite or attack.
    Well, I think Uabassoon expressed my opinions very well.

Why didn't you yell to tell the guy that you were sorry & that
    your dogs were harmless (just overly friendly) ? Just saying
    " I'm going to let them go" is not exactly a re-assureing thing
    to yell at the guy & his smaller dog. I do not mean to sound
    harsh or mean in any way, but you're very lucky your dogs
    were not shot.(That would be over reacting if the dogs did not
    attack the other dog) The man happened to be a cop who had
    a gun and given the circumstances you described, if I were him
    I would have done the same thing. You should never attempt to
    walk the two dogs together by yourself if you cannot have
    complete control of them at all times. As you said yourself, He
    just wanted to walk his dog in peace.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well said lizbud

Originally posted by stacwase
    So - what are you being charged with? Do you actually have to go to court just because you accidentally let go of your leash? I would think they'd give you a warning or two first!

I can see they guy getting scared and, since he was a police officer and carries a gun and uses it regularly, it might have just been second nature for him to pull it. I can also see him being upset that you couldn't control your dogs. But I think he owes you an apology for scaring you like that! If he wasn't wearing a uniform, you had no way of knowing he was a police officer and not some freak.

I'd probably pee my pants if somebody pulled a gun in front of me.
    i think i'm being charged with not being able to control my dogs but i haven't received the summons yet.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

i just wanted to say that i do not disagree that the guy was right in protecting himself from my dogs...i just feel that it was over-excessive that he pulled the gun on my dogs. what if he didn't have the gun on him?? what would he have done then???

when i normally walk the dogs, i look around and if i see people i walk to other way to avoid confrontations like that...

anyway, we'll see what happens...thanks for your opinions.

btw, he is a cop for the george mason university.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

So he's a security Guard? or he just patrols the university?

Kingrattus in the US some of the larger universities have their own PD. University of Arizona has their own PD as well, their patrol area includes all of the campus as well as a few neighborhoods that are very close to campus.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!