Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little more Minnie...

A little more Minnie...

A brief history, first...

Minnie moved into my home in July 2002. She had been picked up in April, and kept at the shelter/clinic until a proper home could be had. From July to Oct/Nov...Minnie lived strictly in my basement....I hated it. (Of course, I made her several beds, had her food, litter,etc. down there). Then, I always think it just got too cold...and up she moved to under my bed. So, food, litter, etc., was relocated to my room. This wasn't a good thing at all. Too many cat wars happened.

I moved Minnie to the spare room, set up her 'station'...she had a huge computer box as her hidey hole (free reign of the home, but, she didn't avail herself of it). This was maybe in January 2003. By February/March, on very rare occasions, I would find Minnie on the window sill...but, the second I opened the door, or moved into the room, she ran. I kept the door closed for 12 hours at a time to afford her complete security.

At some point, I moved Minnie's house into the closet. I took out all my shoes, cut a hole in the door, and put food and litter in there. It seemed more comfortable to her.

By April/May....I would catch Minnie out in the room, on the window sill, and by June...it had become a daily ritual. She would come out at night (dusk) and sit in the window, under the chair, AND walk (OK, crawl) past me to do so. She know longer ran all the time. By July, every single day/night, Minnie came out. She would sit on the floor and watch us.

Well, guess the heck what? Today...I mean prolly since late July, Minnie has taken to wandering. She will now go, nearly every evening, out of the closet, down the hall, and set up camp under the dining room table. I sometimes find her there in the AM!!! Do you hear me? AM!!! I have found her in the living room, on the bottom shelf of the bookcase (which is set up for catnapping)! This weekend...she was in the LIVING ROOM WINDOW!!! Just looking out, sniffing things. She could not go any further in my house than that!

She purposely strides down the hall, away from the hidey hole, with me and Binx in plain sight, and goes about her business. She still runs when she sees me (though she sits for pets inside her hidey hole), but, not with fear, more with apprehension. In the morning, when I go to change her food,water and litter, I always smile when the closet is empty... cause I know she is out and about.

14 months.....whoever thought.....I can't wait for the day I can go up to her and pet her outside the hidey hole....I know that day is somewhere off in the near future. Maybe that will be Minnie's Christmas present to me.

Minnie is a good example for how long it can take!
    Congratulations for your patience. That's so great -and deep down in her little heart she knows she can trust you

Aww Minnie, you've come a long way girl. Pretty soon you'll find out that life is much better out of your hidey hole. One day at a time sweetie.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Go Minnie! Small steps are so exciting
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Soon you will be calling her Maxie!

I can totally relate to your story! I threw a feral indoors about 4 years ago. He would eat at our front porch, so one evening I told my husband to open the door, I snuck behind Blaze, grabbed him and tossed him through the door (not untouched though). He's been in ever since, but it took him months before he would venture out amongst the living.

Good work!!!!!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

This is wonderful news!!! Go Minnie!!!

"SLOW BUT SURE".....glad to hear progress is being made!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Blessed be your patience, Johanna!!!
    What a wonderful job you both are doing and I hope...no, I know...there will be success somewhere around the corner!!!

Go Minnie, your human's arms are already wide open!!!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

What wonderful news.... way to go on your patience and accommodating nature, and to Minnie for her bravery!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

It's always nice to hear good news about Minnie

Minnie, YOU GO GIRL!!

As I have said before, you could be talking about my Fern. Knowing that, you can look forward to the day when she DEMANDS to be petted (like Fern does when she is on top of the refridgerator). Many steps in the right direction will be made. Enjoy each and every one of them.

Congatulations! It just shows what kindness and LOVE will do. soon she will be as the Other cats and have a happier life , not being so afraid! It a much better life for her to have the confidence to roam the house and not have to feel that she has to hide!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

And, under the dining room table she was this AM!!! Hello Min-min...and I just go about my business.

Thanks for the kind words. It is really exciting to watch her progress...

You know how much I enjoy Minnie updates. You go girl, one step at a time! Woohoo! I'm so excited for both of you. It must be so great to see the progress.

My friend took in two feral cats a year and a half ago. The female cat came around faster than the male. She only recently has been able to pet the male. It's slow, but so rewarding for her.

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.