Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to cat side

New to cat side

Just taking a little peek around the cat side here. I'm a dog person myself, but my husband's a cat person. We have a little 5-year-old (or so) black cat named Toby. He has fur just long enough to always look messy, and a broken tail permanently shaped like a question mark. He was a gift from my stepdaughter, after my husband's previous cat passed away. He's a real sweetheart - whenever he sees anybody coming, he runs out to the sidewalk and lays on his back waiting for whoever it is to pet him.

He thinks he's a dog. My dog, Jake, raised him. Jake used to carry him around everywhere with him, when he was a little kitten. Jake thought he was his puppy. I think that's why I like Toby - he's so "un-catlike"! He's not at all snobbish or aloof, and is extremely affectionate. He also only goes potty outside - so we don't have that awful litter box odor.

I think I'll go look around a little more. Just thought I'd introduce myself!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Well hi! Glad you have come to visit the Cat site. You don't have to be a dog OR a cat person. Loads of people here just love ALL animals. Glad you have come to visit us- please stay! There are some absolutly beautiful cats here to look at!

Welcome to the cat side!

Toby sounds like a character. We'd love more details next time you visit.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Originally posted by AmberLee
    Welcome to the cat side!

Toby sounds like a character. We'd love more details next time you visit.

And pictures too!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Welcome to the cat side. Toby sounds like a real sweetheart. I'd also love to see some pics of him.

Welcome!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Welcome to the Cat side! Toby sounds like a sweet heart -- and that fur! Every once in a while my Goldie would look like she was walking around in "wrinkled pajamas" cuz her fur was just long enough to look messy. Of course, being the neat little lady she was, she never walked around like that for too long.

Now my Mitzi is trying for that "wrinkled PJ's" look too, but somehow she just manages to look fluffy. It's that heavy fur thing ....

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Welcome.

If you read enough over here you will learn that not all cats are aloof and unaffectionate, even though most non-cat owners tend to believe this.

My cats are extremely loyal, greet me at the door, sleep with me but I would still not consider them dog-like. They tend to be less "demanding" than dogs.

I am honestly not trying to sound harsh, just honest. I will look forward to hearing about and seeing Toby in the future.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Do you think that some breeds of cats are more affectionate than others, maybe?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Some breeds have a reputation for having a certain personality, but it still varies animal to animal.

One thing is true of all kitties. They are much more discriminating
    about everything, from what they eat to whom they show
    affection towards.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by stacwase
    Thanks for all the welcomes! Do you think that some breeds of cats are more affectionate than others, maybe?
    I've read that Maine Coons and Abys tend to be more social so sometimes people consider this to be more dog like. My cat Storm is a Maine Coon mix and he's a very social cat. I call him my grey doggie. Sunny is half Aby/Tabby and is very affectionate to me but is still very cautious of others. My newest furkid Sky is a Siamese mix and he's also very social. Cirrus is my wild child so he only lets me pet him and brush him.

First, welcome to the 'cat side'....now that we have that pleasantry aside...stick around long enough so that I might dispel all eight of your 'errors' about cats..he he he...

I have six..and except for my semi-feral, Minnie...my cats are very unaloof...greet me at the door, come to me when I call them, still don't take the time my ONE doggie does, etc..

And, I guess I must have something wrong with my nose....as I just don't get that litter box smell. My house was odor free up until April...when my puppy came to live with me

Again, welcome, but, boy oh boy do you have some funny notions about cats....

Welcome to the cat side! My two cats are Felicia and Beau.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Hi and welcome to the cat side.

I am a first time cat owner (I have always had dogs), and I am now totally in love with cats.

Everything I thought about them as a "non-cat owner" has been proven wrong....

Ally is never aloof or selfish - always affectionate - running to meet me when I come home from work, snuggling with me in bed or whilst I watch TV, comforting me when I am sick or upset - in fact, ALL the things that I always enjoyed about dogs, but wrongly assumed would not happen with cats!!!

I have also never had a problem with the litter box smell.

The only complaint (from my hubby - I couldn't care less) is the HAIR that gets "everywhere" - although I have never known a DOG that didn't shed, so this argument is nothing new in our house

Hope to hear (and see) more about your cat in the future!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.