Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do I get Tikeya used to the halti ??

how do I get Tikeya used to the halti ??

please help, she really doent like it, and my mom got it for me as an early birthday present because she knew how much I wanted one. now I am so dissapointed .. Tikeya doesnt like dog treats or food while she is stressed and the halti makes her VERY stressed.

I took the halti out of the package and then read the lil booklet thing, then took her out for a walk aropund the block with it on, she went about half way befor freaking out, I feel so bad.

I am such a stupid person, please help me fix this !!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

If she doesn't like it then just don't use it. Simple.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

i know but ppl were telling me to not give up, and not to bring it back because she will and can get used to it, but how??

I guess just walking her with it and making her uncomfortable and stressed over and over she will eventually get used to it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Don't give up on it! No dog ever likes it at first. I have yet to see a dog who doesn't try to paw at it and get it off for awhile when you first start using one.

Just let her wear it around the house while you can supervise her. Don't start trying to walk her on it yet. When you put it on, be sure to give her lots of good treats. You can try only putting it on her when she eats her meals. That way she can start associating wearing it with good things.

Its important to never take it off while she's pawing at it or trying to get it off. That will reward her for doing that and then she'll always try to get it off. When she is calm and ignoring it, then you can take it off.

Don't worry, I'm sure she'll get used to it soon.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thanks Aly for your great advice! I was waiting for someone to step in here, with more experience than I, to encourage TM not to give up!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

ok she has it on right now, but she odesnt have the muzzewl part on, ugh she keeps pawing it downward and off. I am going to give her hoytdog with her halti . thanks for the advise, keep it coming please

my mom hasnt actually seen a halti in real life intull like 5 min ago, I was trying to give tikeya hotdog while wearing her halti, and my mom freaked out, saying this "that is sooo mean, I dont like that on her, take it off, TAKE it off" she continued saying "take it off I dont like it" for the next 5 min, so I did. and she was like " I am taking it back it is mean", what a waist :*(

Explain to her something about the Halti and how it works. Halti's can look like MUZZLES to those who don't know what they are! Explain that it does not restrict Tikeya's mouth movement at all and merely directs her head ! If you have a dog that pulls it seems to me to be a lot more humane to easily lead them from their head rather than tugging strongly on their neck and having them barely budge! Please have her at least read the materials that came with the Halti. If its some "knock off" brand there may not be anything helpful included, but look in whatever pamphlet for some data that will show you're Mom that Halti's are NOT CRUEL!

T_M, check out these links:
    http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?ID=29
    http://www.allourpets.com/htmls/halticollar.shtml
    http://www.doglogic.com/halter.htm
    http://www.dogpatch.org/training/halti.html
    Last edited by Kater; 08-31-2003 at 03:18 AM.

I showed my mom thoughs sites. but she still doesnt care she doesnt like it ..

I give up. the sites were good though thanks for trying to help ..

Just like puppies need to get used to collar and leash, it takes some time for dogs to get used to the halti. I am a big believer in the halti/gentle leader type collars. I feel they are the most humane training collar. Taking the pressure away from the neck can prevent damage to the dogs trachea, especially if he/she is a puller.

aww that sucks...I don't know if you still can convince her but maybe you should tell her how good it really was for us. I got the halti to take pressure off his neck. I noticed that Kai would 'weeze' after/during a walk. And Kater is sooo right. The halti doesn't restrict the dog from doing anything except pulling your arm off. The dog can still breath, pant, drink and bark. The thing only guides the head to where you want to go instead of trying to pull the dog back to you. If head goes to one spot, body follows.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Bella is a successful Halti user and I couldn't be happier with it. Before the Halti she took me for a walk. She caught on to the idea very quickly. On our first walk using the Halti she got the idea by the time we got to the end of the driveway and walks are a pleasure now. She seems to forget about it while we are walking but if we are not moving, like sitting in the waiting room at the vet's, she tries to get it off.

Haltis can cause problems with the vertebra in the dog's neck if used improperly and it is easy to see how that could happen with a dog who is really fighting it.

I have to laugh when I am walking her with this on. So many people will sort of 'stand back' when we go by because they think it's a muzzle and I am walking a terribly vicious doggie.

Here's Bella modeling her Halti.

Hey Bella, remember....models get PAID! Name your price....
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I showed my mom thoughs sites. but she still doesnt care she doesnt like it ..

I give up. the sites were good though thanks for trying to help ..
    Without talking back to her or being rude could you ask her to explain what exactly she doesn't like about it? Have her explain herself and defend her opinion. I honestly don't think she has any good reason not to like it if you have showed her that information. Perhaps she is worried about other people seeing Tikeya wearing the Halti and them thinking she is muzzled. The thing is, these collars are not new any more and are really quite common.

Ugh, I'm sorry T_M, I know parents can be frustrating sometimes.