Thread: Help! Need some advice on my cat.

Help! Need some advice on my cat.

Hi - I'm new but looking for some help. I have a female spayed indoor cat who is approximately 14 years old. She is very shy and stand-offish from other cats and disappears when anyone comes in the house. Last year she developed hypothyroidism and has been on Tapizole ever since and doing quite well. She has never been a big eater but loves chicken and tuna. Could smell chicken a room away and be right in the kitchen. She has never been very big because of the disease. Well, last week she quit eating altogether. She would drink water, still moved around, used litter box, etc. but would not eat a bite. Took her to my vet who told me some cats will do this. He has treated cats who would start again with a very minimal injection of Valium and then has had to put feeding tube in others and some have just started eating one - like they just wake up and decide to eat again. She has lost a lot of weight. So we took her back to the vet on Tues afternoon and he started giving her the minimal shots of Valium and he reported she ate a whole can of food after each injection and had us pick her up on Friday to see how she would do over the long holiday. Well, yesterday she ate about two tablespoons in all and you could tell she was still a little woozy. She drank water all night and wanted to be with on the bed. Today - she will have nothing to do with food. Has this ever happened with anyone's cat before?

I am so sorry to hear that -although I have no experiences. I hope some of the other people around can help you!

You're welcome

Sorry, I have no experience with this, but will hold you both in my prayers. Do keep us posted on her progress, okay?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I am sorry to say I have no advice either! Keep trying to tempt her with all her favorite foods. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk. My RB Pepper went through a few periods of not eating. I had to buy some special food from my vet and then dilute it with water and put it in a large syringe and then force feed him several times a day. If cats don't eat for long periods of time, they get liver disease. The other option is to have your vet put in a feeding tube but I'd only do this as a last resort. I'd try to force feed her if you can and hopefully she'll then start to eat on her own. Good luck and please keep us updated.

My friend's cat who is about the same age as yours has kidney failure. About a month ago they went throught the period of not eating too. They needed to force feed him for a few days when all of a sudden he started to eat on his own again.
    To force feed make a paste of canned cat food or baby food (beef or chicken) with water and if you can get a tube of Nutri-cal that would be good to add to the mix. Draw it into a large syringe (no needle) and squirt it into the cats mouth small amounts at a time. At least she will be getting some calories into her system.

Valium also comes in pill form. Seems like you could then give your cat a small dose to stimulate his appetite without having to take him in for an injection. I personally haven't ever heard of an injectible valium for cats. *shrug* I have always received it in pill form.

Denyce

Someone once told me their senior cat did the same thing - stopped eating - and the vet prescribed steroids to get her to eat again. It worked for awhile, then she stopped eating again, so they really pumped her full of steroids and she started eating again. Yes, she eventually died, but she lived another two years after the second steroid dosing, so......

Peanut is on Prednisolone and the when I took her to the vet he said that he wasn't surprised that she was still eating and drinking good because of the prednisolone.

Just another thought that you might want to bring up with your vet. Good luck and welcome to PT!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sorry to be so long in getting back on Baby Cat. When I brought her home the Friday before Labor Day, she started eating a little and she has gradually picked up more each day. I reported this to thre vet on Tuesday and he said we'd wait another week to see how she does before resuming the Tapizole and then at half doses to see if that is why she quit eating. All her blood work and tests came back great - its the most incredible thing that has ever happened since I've had cats. Now she comes out whenever she wants and meows like usual and is eating more each day = - almost like she never quit. When I was so upset and questioning the vet as to "why" - he said he didn't know either - "she's a cat"! Thanks for everyone's help and good thoughts and I sincerely hope she's not going to do this again.

Whew. Glad she's doing better. Keep us updated, okay?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Ah yes, the mysteries of the cat. Glad she is feeling better.

I'm so glad to read your baby is doing better. I pray that she continues to stay well.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I'm so glad to hear that she's eating again. Let's hope that she continues. Please keep us updated.

It's so good to hear this kind of news. Especially with older cats. I hope my two don't put me through too much trouble.

I hope you and Babycat have many more years together.