Thread: Teddy scared me half to death today!

Teddy scared me half to death today!

This morning, Mike and I were out front putting a hood on my truck. We had Teddy on a chain with us. I saw Teddy slip out of his chain and run to the backyard. We were both trying to hold the hood, so I just figured I'd get him in a minute. The big dogs are pretty good with him. Then all of a sudden, we heard Teddy practically scream; like he was really hurt bad. I was freaked out, but I had to wait another 30 seconds till Mike got the bolt in the hood. I ran into the backyard and I couldn't find him. For the next hour, I kept hearing faint cries and whelps like he was somewhere in pain. I figured that he'd climbed under someone's fence and one of the neighbor's dogs had gotten him. I went to the court behind my house and knocked door to door explaining that my dog was injured somewhere and could I please check their backyard. Some of the people were nice, but a few were rude. One lady was all "There is no way a dog could get in my fence, it's secure." I was trying to convince her that my dog was really small and that he could fit anywhere. She then said "Well, my dogs would never hurt anything." I'm like "Well, can you at least check?!" It was frustrating because I was frantic and I could hear his faint cries, but no one else sensed my urgency. I couldn't figure out where the cries were coming from and they were getting quieter and quieter and less and less frequent. I finally came back home and told my husband that there was no hope. (He was staying home in case someone brought him back.) I was bawling and I said that Teddy is hurt and dying somewhere and we are just going to have to leave him. I was so upset and I didn't know what to do. Then, as a last ditch effort, I knocked on the evil neighbor's door. I didn't expect Ted to be there because we have double fencing on that side, rocks against the fences, and I hadn't seen Ted run that way. Plus I've trained Ted to stay away from that evil lady. (In case you haven't read previous threads, she stole my dogs and dumped them off before.) So, I knocked on her door, hoping she'd help me. (We haven't spoken in a while.) She said she doubted Teddy would be in her yard, but I can go look. I'm explaining to her that I can tell he is injured by his cries and blah blah blah. And then I walk into her backyard and there Teddy is, laying with all of her cats. At first glance, it was like six cats, and this orange furball. He almost blended in with the crowd. My guess is that those whelps were because momma cat was slapping Ted. He probably finally convinced momma cat that he wasn't a threat and he was just laying there sunning with the cats. He saw me and started shaking because he knew he was in trouble. I didn't even discipline him, I was so relieved to find him! WHEW!

Whew is right!!!! I'm so glad Teddy found solace with those cats and that the neighbor allowed you to check for him! Maybe she isn't so wicked after all!

Oh Wow,

Of all place to be...in the "evil" neighbors yard I'm so glad he was ok & not hurt!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

sounds like he went to the last place he thought you'd look for him, he must have known he was in trouble for slipping the leash.
    bigthunder

I know exactly how you feel! One day, Duke got loose and I could hear him sort of screaming. There's lots of woods around behind ours and the neighbor's houses. I was also worried because the garbage men were there and I thought he had gone to them and they had hurt him. Turns out, a few doors down, he had encountered a kitty through a fence and it was slapping at his muzzle with it's claws. Boy was I relieved. So, I sure can sympathize with you.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

That's some bad luck.
    Sliping off the leash and ending up in a evil ladys backyard??
    glad i don't live it town
    (no offense)

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    "Destiny is a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

Whew...... Glad that story had a happy ending!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome