Thread: Introducing a new cat to an older cat

Introducing a new cat to an older cat

Hi Cat Friends,

I have a 6 yr old tuxedo named Howie and thought he needed a playmate when his best buddy next door recently moved away. I chose a one year old tuxedo from the local shelter, Hugo, and have kept them in separate rooms for 10 days as the shelter suggested.

Howie has not spent the night indoors since Hugo came home. He is his usual lovey self if I pet him outdoors but will only come inside for food and runs back out again. Trying to lock him indoors results in him howling.

The cats have seen each other thru a screen door and at first Howie sat calmly observing the new intruder. In the 2 sightings since (also thru the screen), Howie has hissed and growled.

I miss my older cat and want desperately for them to get along. Any advice from multiple cat owners on how to best introduce them and how long it may take them to live in harmony?

Howie does like other neighbor cats and Hugo is just a spunky, amiable guy that likes everyone.
    Thanks!
    Susan
    Susan
    =^..^=

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk. You might want to rub them with towels so that they can smell each others scent. It can take a long time for cats to feel comfortable with each other or even to like each other. Some cats will only learn to tolerate each other. Slow introductions are the best way to go. Also be sure to give Howie a lot of love and attention so he doesn't feel jealous of his new brother. Hissing and growling is normal cat behavior towards a new addition so I wouldn't be worried unless there is bloodshed. Hopefully Howie will stop running outside soon and will accept his new brother. Good luck and please keep us updated.
    BTW my cats Storm and Cirrus still don't like each other and I've had Cirrus now for a little over 5 months now. I think they'll just learn to tolerate each other.

It can take months for your cats to really settle down.

We have had a couple of kittens for two months and Milo & Treacle still aren't too keen.

I think it is harder to introduce cats when they are inside/outside (Like yours and mine) as the older cats run outside to avoid the new cat.

I suggest giving your original cat loads of extra cuddles and give both cats plenty of time to settle.

All the best with the introductions.

Thank you for the tips and encouragement! I will try the towel rubbing and see how that goes. I've been spending quality time outside with Howie and trying to make him feel loved, but he is still spitting mad. I did catch him over in the neighbors yard this morning visiting her new kitten through the window I just hope Howie can adjust and I'll get my sweet, loving boy back soon and he'll gain a new buddy!
    Susan
    =^..^=

I've had my two cats for a little over a year (a female and male both approximately 2 years old). When I brought Sylvester home (a month after I adopted Kona), she would have nothing to do with him or myself for that matter. She hissed at everyone. After a few months, she tolerated Sylvester, but would not initiate playtime. Just recently, I've noticed they are playing and chasing each other. It's a welcome site and well worth the wait. When I left for work this morning, they were side by side looking out the window.

You may want to put a small dab of perfume on them so they smell the same.

Be very patient. Even if they don't become best friends, they will learn to tolerate each other and exist in the same house.

Good Luck!!!