Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dead Cone

Originally posted by Barbara
    At that time he will be used to cats so he may be able to deal with Tigris wanting to use him as a scratchpost (Tigris is a nawteekat unfortunately ).
    Oh, Barbara, when you mentioned this, visions came to my mind of all the times Coney might have been used by doggies as a substitute for a fire hydrant! Oh my poor Coney.
    Pet cones are much more huggable than a rock!! Plus they are easier to dress up for special occasions.
    Absolutely! I will have to get different seasonal outfits for him. Kinda like the people do with the geese on their front porches. Hmmm....maybe some of those goose outfits will actually fit him. I know it wouldn't be as good as real cone clothes, but it might just have to do until I can get my hands on some patterns to make him his own clothes.

And you'll all be happy to know that he was doing really well when I checked on him this morning. He was all settled in and almost looked like he was snuggling with my Corvette. I knew they'd be best friends. I'm actually hoping he doesn't get too attached to the motorcycle though, because that's for sale and I'd hate to have to break his heart when it comes time for the bike to go. But then we'll have room for the bicycles, so he'll have two friends to make up for the loss of the one.

I'll have to check on those rabies shots, Barbara. Does anyone else know what other sorts of "preventative" doctoring he might need? I'm just so new to all this and I just want to be sure and do everything right for him.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Now if the authorities were sensible, they would insist on cones with handles.
    Much easier to save from automotive destruction:

Why The GRABBER-CONE?
    Its a question worth asking. And the answer is increasingly clear.
    If you look closer, you'll see what truly differentiates The Grabber from the competition: its versatility, strength and ease of use.
    And that's where The Grabber really stands out.
    Every aspect has been carefully thought out: its unique handle design, it's durable low density polyethylene material, the smooth integration of available components, and the multiple applications you can create.
    And, we've taken into consideration the long-term effect The Grabber will have on the environment and made it 1OO% recyclable.

GRABBER-CONE Features
    The Grabber measures 42" or 28" in height
    Made of flexible low density polyethylene
    Bright orange color molded throughout
    UV inhibitors to minimize fading
    Grabber handle allows for easy movement and prevents cones from sticking
    Stackable for storage and transport
    Available with various size reflective collars
    Available with keyhole slots and plastic barricade panels (42" Grabber cone only)
    Bases will not crush when run over
    Meets Federal M.U.T.C.D. standards

Applications and Uses
    (As a cone, tubular marker or barricade)
    Channelize or delineate traffic
    Barricade construction work zones
    Lane closures
    Vehicular or pedestrian traffic control
    Parking lot traffic control, striping or resurfacing
    Water/flood control
    Parades/crowd control
    Tree trimming

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by jonza
    I haven't seen such blatant pet abuse since Lyndon Johnson picked a dog up by it's ears:

A cone should ALWAYS be lifted and carried by it's wide, stable base, not grabbed by the head or neck.

I had thought the striped cones were Bengals, but I could have been misinformed. Congratulations on your new addition!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

If you're really serious about keeping the cone, T&P's mom, this might help:

CONES AS PETS

Cones are not picky creatures, and most can live in a wide range of habitats. However, there are a few simple things that can make your pet cone feel more at home. As cones are naturally territorial, it is recommended that you set apart a small corner of your house or apartment that they can call their own. You might adorn this "cone home" with a photograph of a construction site or a bit of yellow caution tape. A small slab of asphalt or concrete for resting upon is also greatly appreciated.

Cones need very little in the way of maintenance. Periodically, they should be wiped down with a clean, damp cloth.

Cones can be adopted at all good hardware stores. They can also be obtained through the Traffic Cone Preservation Society's Dwarf Cone Adoption Program. It is not recommended that you obtain cones from the wild. Many species are endangered, and removing them from their natural habitats and duties could threaten their survival.

When choosing a cone, make sure it has a healthy shiny coat, sturdy foot, and a curious nature. Research to see what type of cone would best suit your needs. Some cones grow quite large, and would not be suitable for apartment living. More cone information can be found at the Traffic Cone Preservation Society's web site.

Albert Einstein

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    I had thought the striped cones were Bengals, but I could have been misinformed.
    That's true -but not for the Lesser Striped Cones like Coney!

If you ask me, this cone thing is getting way out of control!
    Is nothing sacred? Where will it all end?

If we let this thing run amuck, we’ll have presidents,
    pop stars and poodles wearing the damn things!

Albert Einstein

Originally posted by jonza
    Cones are not picky creatures, and most can live in a wide range of habitats. However, there are a few simple things that can make your pet cone feel more at home. As cones are naturally territorial, it is recommended that you set apart a small corner of your house or apartment that they can call their own. You might adorn this "cone home" with a photograph of a construction site or a bit of yellow caution tape. A small slab of asphalt or concrete for resting upon is also greatly appreciated.
    Oh no! Am I being cruel to my new cone?!!?? I left him in the garage, thinking that would be the perfect environment, what with the cars and motorcycle and all. And he has concrete under his feet - ok, so it's painted concrete, but it's still something he should be familiar with. I really thought he'd be happier in a somewhat familiar territory rather than brought in the house where everything is foreign and unknown to him - carpet, hard wood floors, cabinets, tile floor..... , I think I should run home right now and bring him in the house instead of leaving him suffer in the garage. My poor Coney! Thanks so much for the information Jonza. At least I have some idea of how to treat my cone now.

And ACGAS, I don't think that cone is being abused. I think it's ancestors might have been, but somehow it has evolved to the point where it's supposed to be picked up like that. It must have grown a much stronger neck, and you can see how the shape has changed....so I'm not really sure this would be abuse??
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Why I'm sure I've seen something in Edwina's closet that is oh so very similar.... we'll have to ask her advise on the latest in cone-wear.

Oh no! Please don’t misunderstand me Debbie, this was not a criticism, I think the garage is PERFECT. It was just some information I trawled on the web that I thought might be of value. I’m quite, quite sure that you will treat Coney really well and can bring up a cone as well as anyone. But are you aware of the long term implications? Cones grow up and develop too you know, sooner or later he’s going to need a mate.

As you can see from the picture of this happy couple below, it wouldn’t be the first time!

… and I agree with you on your theory of the evolution of the “Grabber Cone”, weirder things have been bred!

We wish you luck with your brave, daring enterprise!

Albert Einstein

I have a question and I am worried.

I have gone into my local ice cream store and they have a stack of cones.

Are they just babies that haven't reached their full maturity, color and stripes? Is that how they are raised - in a stack like that?

Oh dear, and I have to confess that I have been "eating " them.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the post office today. There, in front of someone's driveway were three "mini" cones. They were absolutely adorable!!! Just hanging out making sure nobody smudges the new driveway.

Hmmmmmmm...I wonder if they need rescuing???

Whatdya think guys?

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by gini

LOL, steering clear of that one...

i have seen green cones across the street...

but what do you expect in Los Angeles on Sunset Blvd.???
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

A long time ago I went into a store to eat one, but by the time I got it close to my mouth it was shivering so bad that I wrapped it up in blankets of napkins and held it close to keep it warm.

.......thank goodness for Tide with bleach.......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I have a question and I am worried.

I have gone into my local ice cream store and they have a stack of cones.

Gini, we have them here too, they're all over. Little blond girls are carrying them around giving them nosekisses. But I fear they'll be gone soon, it seems that only sunny weather can entice them out. It's so exiting, I suggest we start a Cone society! Coney should of course be President - but what about Elbert? And could they be gay Will the world accept a gay President!!! I thought only good hairdressers were gay! We must all study harder and learn more about them!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by Randi
    It's so exiting, I suggest we start a Cone society! Coney should of course be President - but what about Elbert?

we can make Coney Island the capital and Dan Ackroyd (Conehead) will be the mascot!!!!

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/coneheads.jpg
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.