Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dead Cone

Originally posted by moosmom
    BTW, where can I get one of these precious creatures??? It would have a wonderful life, I promise!!
    Well, Donna, since you ask. I was not able to help the cone yesterday. It's so called "owners" were around all day and I didn't dare go over and try and kidnap the poor thing. Couldn't they see it was suffering?

Today, however, is another story. Somehow it has made its way a little further down the street, so I may just take a little walk during lunchtime....

As you know, I can't have any more pets in the house, but if you are willing to take it, I would be happy to rescue it and foster it until we can meet sometime so I can hand it over. What do you say, are we going to rescue this cone or are we going to rescue this cone!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sounds like the GREAT CONE CAPER is about to start

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    As you know, I can't have any more pets in the house, but if you are willing to take it, I would be happy to rescue it and foster it until we can meet sometime so I can hand it over. What do you say, are we going to rescue this cone or are we going to rescue this cone!
    Adoptions kits are available here:

http://www.trafficcone.com/

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Please!! Let's rescue this poor thing from the throngs of inhumanity! Are you planning on coming to Findlay Park on Sunday?? Me and Moo will be there.

This poor orangie needs a home desperately and I'd be more than willing to help out!

Let me know.

ROFLMAO at the link!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ok, this is my plan. The cone is on the sidewalk, on the other side of the street, the side that I will be able to pull over on on my way home. And all other cars should be gone by then because there's no parking there after 4:00 pm. So I'm going to get in my car like normal, nice and casual so nobody suspects anything, then I'm going to pull out and when I get abreast of the cone I'm going to dive right in, jump out of the car, swoop in and grab the cone, throw it in the back seat, fly back to the driver's seat and be off before anyone even knows to look! Then when I'm back in traffic, I'll just drive like normal (hopefully the light will still be green and I can sail through) and before you know it I'll just be another car in traffic and Coney and I will be on our way to safety!

Whaddya think? Think it'll work? I just hope no cops are around because they regularly patrol for illegal parkers after 4:00 pm. I'm not worried about a parking ticket because I'll be out and back in and on my way so fast they won't even know I'm pulled over, but I'm worried about "stealing" a cone.

"But officer, you don't understand. This cone was obviously being abused! I have evidence and everything! And it was abandoned too! People were just kicking it all over the sidewalk! Please won't you let me keep it and take it to a good loving home where it will never know abuse again? Please? "

Oh, and Donna, I thought about bringing it with, but unfortunately we're not going to be able to be there - drat! That would have been the perfect place to hand it over to you. We could have had a little ceremony and everything.

Oh again, and thanks so much for the link Russian Blue! I never knew there was a preservation society just for cones! How wonderful!
    Oh, I know, maybe Mugsy can set up a rescue transport. I'd be willing to meet somebody at around the 80/94 & 65 intersection?
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

That is so, so sad.. I am almost in tears as I look at those pictures... How can someone be so CRUEL? Did you get the license plate? Gosh... call the police or something... I am so glad you are saving that poor poor cone.

Have fun, and leash train him and maybe something like this won't happen again!

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

LOL! Very good.

I got it! I'm so excited, this is the first cone I've ever rescued! I did just like I said, but instead of swooping, I casually sauntered over and grabbed it - much less suspicious. And the good news is Terry says we can keep it!

Now my question is, how do I tell if it's a boy or a girl? Do cones come in different genders? And what do I feed it? He (I've temporarily determined he is a he) is in the garage right now so he should be able to find something to eat out there, shouldn't he? And do I need to provide a litterbox - or do I walk him? I'm so confused...I've never had a cone before, you know.

The first thing I did when I got him home was give him a good bath. He was filthy, but that's to be expected considering he was living on the streets and got run over and everything. So here's a before pic.

You can see he's pretty dirty, but overall he's in pretty good shape. He was a little tender where he had been bent over, but I'm sure that will heal in no time. He also has a few scars from previous abuse, but he's really in pretty good shape considering...

I have determined that he is of the Conus zebricus breed. More commonly known as the Lesser Striped Cone. I determined this by the wonderful reflective stripes he has.

And to make sure and keep this somewhat pet related, here's Tubby watching me give Coney a bath (yes, we've named him Coney).

After he dried off a bit, I brought him into his new home - our garage. I thought he would feel right at home there, but would be safe from all the maniacs on the road.

I think he's going to get along quite well here. Tubby didn't seem to have a problem with him....

And Peanut was more worried about the extension cord on the floor. I expected her to be a little skittish of the newcomer, but she didn't even bat an eye.

So those are all the pics I have for now. We left him alone in the garage to settle down a little and get over all the trauma he's experienced in the last two days. Hopefully he'll start feeling right at home real soon. We plan to bring him along in the motorhome when he gets more comfortable with us, so he'll go from being a homeless cone out on the streets to a sophisticated traveling cone. Now if I could only get to Germany for the International Pet Talk meeting, I could bring him along and he could be a world traveler!

Security: "'Scuse me ma'am, is that a traffic cone?"
    Me: "Well, technically yes, but he's actually by pet. His name is Coney. Is there a problem bringing him on the plane? I didn't read anything where cones weren't allowed or had to be in my checked luggage...."
    Security: "Not sure ma'am. I don't know what the rules are on cones. Somehow I don't think we can allow it on."
    Me: "I'd like to speak with your superior officer, sir, because you don't understand. This isn't just any cone. This is Coney. My pet cone, and I believe I should be able to bring him on the plane with me."

Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

*YAY* For CONEY!!!

So glad you found a new home, Coney. You have MAGNIFICENT stripes! How beautiful!

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I'm so glad this story has a happy ending!!! I was so worried about poor Coney when I beganthis thread, but hearing he is home and happy is great news!!! Congrats on the new addition!!!

That's great news! How wonderful of you to give such a neglected cone a new chance in a forever home.

Thanks for the link to the Cone Adoption agency too. I am thinking of adopting one for Christmas.

Yay for Coney!

I see he's been given a very important job too, guarding motorcycles No wonder his stripes shine with pride!

Now if I could only get to Germany for the International Pet Talk meeting, I could bring him along and he could be a world traveler!

I am happy to give you some more information on that. There aren't too many restrictions but you must make sure that he has his rabies shots. This is something I would anyway recommend as you cannot be sure he has a clean bill of health after his rough streetlife.

Any automotive engineer should be able to do that and we would be happy to welcome you and Coney here. At that time he will be used to cats so he may be able to deal with Tigris wanting to use him as a scratchpost (Tigris is a nawteekat unfortunately ).

Congratulations on your new rescue! He looks so much better after his bath.
    I'm also glad to hear he's getting along with the cats...that must have been the true test to see if he belonged with your family
    I bet he would just love to be a world traveler!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I got it! I'm so excited, this is the first cone I've ever rescued! I did just like I said, but instead of swooping, I casually sauntered over and grabbed it - much less suspicious. And the good news is Terry says we can keep it!

I'm all in tears!!! You are just wonderful!!!! *sniff*

Security: "'Scuse me ma'am, is that a traffic cone?"
    Me: "Well, technically yes, but he's actually by pet. His name is Coney. Is there a problem bringing him on the plane? I didn't read anything where cones weren't allowed or had to be in my checked luggage...."
    .....This isn't just any cone. This is Coney. My pet cone, and I believe I should be able to bring him on the plane with me."

People have pet rocks! Why can't someone have a pet cone??? Pet cones are much more huggable than a rock!! Plus they are easier to dress up for special occasions.

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.