Thread: I'm getting a baby guinea pig!

I'm getting a baby guinea pig!

At my mom's work, PetsMart, they're only supposed to carry MALE everything. Rodents, birds, fish. Well, they got a PREGNANT FEMALE guinea pig. One of my mom's co-workers adopted this girl and when she has the babies, we're getting one.

I can't wait!!!!

Do you think we should try to house the baby and Spike together?

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

spikes a piggie??? I assume so, and go ahead and house then togetheras long as there the same sex, how old is the baby going to be when you get it?? 3 weeks is best
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

3 weeks????
    Lordy, my babies didn't even wean until about four weeks old! I Love Brian, congratulations (so is this going to be a Drusilla for your Spike? ) but I wouldn't advise separating him from the mother until at least six weeks old.

Good luck!

nonono!!! seperating from the mother at 6 weeks is WAY to old, by then he can breed his mom, they must be seperated as soon as they start rumblestrutting(rumbling and wiggling there butt) wich is 3-4 weeks old, once they are rumble strutting they absolutly MUST be seperated no matter how old they are, rumble strtting means they are ready to breed and can and WILL breed to there mom. I have raised several litters of piggies, and know lots of people who have as well.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

omgyou are so lucky .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

You're so lucky!! I want a baby piggie again, lol, but...we're getting another dog, sooo...another pet is out of the question.
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

Congrats!
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by cali
    nonono!!! seperating from the mother at 6 weeks is WAY to old, by then he can breed his mom, they must be seperated as soon as they start rumblestrutting(rumbling and wiggling there butt) wich is 3-4 weeks old, once they are rumble strutting they absolutly MUST be seperated no matter how old they are, rumble strtting means they are ready to breed and can and WILL breed to there mom. I have raised several litters of piggies, and know lots of people who have as well.
    Me too...six weeks is, according to all cavy literature and my experience, the best age at which to separate. Certainly not before five weeks. Many pups don't even wean before five weeks, so three weeks is definitely too early.
    We had one litter (a particularly large one - sextuplets) that did not leave home until they were ten weeks old. They were just not mature enough. I know it differs from litter to litter, depending on the size, but generally, six weeks is best.
    None of the sixteen males I have bred in the past have ever impregnated their mother, or any other female in the hutch, even up to the age of ten weeks. They will 'rumble strut' on occasion, this does not necessarily mean they are able to mate successfully. If the matter is particularly concerning then of course the mother could be separated, however, the litter should be together until six weeks of age.

From 'The Pig Shed'-
    The age of the guinea pig is also a problem factor. Young guinea pigs that have been taken away from their mother too early may not survive long. This is not because they are dependant on their mother - they are actually born prococial, meaning, they are born fullly furred, with their eyes and ears open, able to run around and eat solid foods. It is because they suckle from their mother until they are at least five weeks old; this milk provides the body with cholostrum, which contains antibodies to help the immune system fight infection and disease.

congrats!!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

my last litter was of 6, yes they do take much longer so they were together much longer however we have also had a litter of 3 and they were ready by 3 weeks, we seperate as soon as they are weaned and they are all very healthy and have the perfect temperment for a little childs pet, they are calm and relaxed, the females still live with there mom, yes, but the males who were seperated at 3-4 weeks for the litter of 3 and 5-6 weeks for the litter of 6, the males are less skittish, and more outgoing and more tame, as oppsed to the girls still living with there mom, skittich, stick together, hate to handled, and they are treated exactly the same as the boys and handled just as often. oh and just cuz the male inpregnating the mom has not happend to you does not mean it cant happen, friskit was with his mom to long we though that 3 weeks was to early well guess what he DID get his mother pregnent, it CAN happen, and it HAS happend, dont take the chance.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

I know you are just doing what you think is best but it remains my opinion that three weeks is just too early for an infant guinea pig to be taken from its mother and siblings.
    You are pro-natural rearing, against vaccines, aren't you? This is just the same. Guinea pig pups need their mothers milk for a minimum of 4-5 weeks.

To get back to the original point of this thread, congratulations I Love Brian Forever. When do we get to meet the little wheeker?

you should get two, not one. so I have learned

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    you should get two, not one. so I have learned
    lmao, true, true TM. I can just see you with your pen eagerly poised, taking notes and studying hard. lmao

Not that I know anything about guinea pigs.....

But Cali, isn't it possible that maybe you *aren't* right about everything?

3 weeks sure sounds young to me....

guinea pigs babies are born with fur and eating solids, many pet stores mistake them for being weened, when they arnt, I think 3 weeks is a lil young, I woul wait till about 5 weeks to let my pets leave their momma, I waited 5 weeks to adopt out my baby hamsters.