Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnie's UTI

Minnie's UTI

Hi everyone,
    Minnie has been diagnosed with a UTI and has been on Baytril for about 6 days now. The problem is, its not getting any better and she is in a lot of pain and discomfort. The doctor doesnt know why she's not responding to the medication.. Does anyone have experience with this? I am worried sick about her...

Poor Minnie! I have no idea why the medicine doesn't work, but you better ask your vet if he could try a different medicine. It's a serious condition! Have your flushed him with a cahteter?

Give him Hills S/D and water only!

Fister has been through this a few times, until we finally decided to have him operated.

This is one of the threads which may be of help.

Fister is on the edge again

Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for Minnie.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I don't know why she wouldn't be responding either, but if your vet can't give you a more definitive answer, I would get a second opinion quick! When Tubby had his UTI earlier this year, he responded to the antibiotics within 24 hours. He was still not peeing normal, but had at least stopped sitting in the litterbox and was much more calm and relaxed. Even with humans I believe antibiotics work within 24 hours. I also know there are different antibiotics out there, and kitties are like people in that some work better on certain kitties than others.

Then, sorry for not knowing this, but is Minnie a female or male? Males are much more prone to what Randi was referring to, but I know Ritzy had a bad UTI earlier this year too, that was possibly crystals. I'll have to see if I can find the thread and give you a link so you can see what worked for her.

But really, this is what bothers me most about your post
    The doctor doesnt know why she's not responding to the medication..

Even if the doctor doesn't know, he/she should be doing something about it, or trying something different, not just saying well, I don't know...

Here's the link to the thread about Ritzy's UTI. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by Tubby & Peanut's Mom; 08-20-2003 at 01:38 PM.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My Tony was my first to have blockages, and my Smokey ended up having surgery to make it easier for him to go the bathroom (he went from being a boy cat to being a girl cat with the surgery).

Smokey took longer to respond to the Baytril, I ended up having to take him back to the vet several times to get an injectable antibiotic.

I also agree with Tubby and Peanut's Mom...if you vet is not sure why Minnie is not responding, then maybe you should seek a different vet or just be blunt to the vet and say "Well, I'm not happy with that answer, I want to know what else can be done for my baby".

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Minnie is female so, its even more strange that she's having such a hard time. I went back to the vet to give a stool sample as he is going to check for parasites. He also said that if she doesnt' respond to the antibiotics that we will take x-rays to check for crystals. So far, she's been on the Baytril for 7 days and no change. Please keep her in your prayers for me....

I'm sorry to hear about Minnie's UTI. Is it possible that Minnie could have diabetes? The reason I say this is because my cat Ali has diabetes and would often get UTI's if there was too much sugar being spilled out w/ her urine. The answer to this problem was to find the right amount of insulin for her get in shots every day. Ali has not had a UTI in about a year. Just a thought. Minnie will be in my thoughts.

just to update on Minnie-- still no improvement. She is still straining to pee and there is still blood in her urine. From reading some other posts on this topic, I am thinking that she may have a resistant form of infection. I am going to mention this to the vet and see what he thinks. Thanks for all your advice so far..

I'm so sorry to hear about Minnie's problem. Please get well soon Minnie. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please keep us updated.

I hope your vet find the right treatment for poor Minnie - we'll keep fingers and paws crossed for her.

I hope the earlier posts will help solve the problem, there are some links too.
    Last edited by Randi; 08-22-2003 at 05:40 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I sure hope your vet decides to at least change treatment or something. There is no way she should still be straining this long after starting treatment. Poor kitty. I personally know how awful UTI's are and I hope she gets some relief soon.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

MIGHT I SUGGEST A SECOND OPINION? There is something wrong here...please go to another vet for a consultation.

Good luck.

I am considering bringing her to another vet. She only has 4 pills left in her dose and she is no better than she was when she started. I hope its not too serious.. On a positive note, she was very playful and affectionate today and actually peed a lot at one time, although she still made frequent trips to the litter box...

I agree that you should get a second opinion. Please don't wait too long because it could develop into a more serious condition. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Please take her to a different vet. Smokey the Elder had a bad UTI in 1996. She did not respond to Clavamox or Baytril; had to be on Tribrissen for 3 weeks. That stuff tastes nasty to a cat but it works. Poor Minnie!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I just read this for the first time....... I sure hope and pray that Minnie gets feeling better soon, and that the vet(s) can find what is going on in her little system! Please do keep us informed on her progress!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!