Wolfsoul... um.. that's one big border collie! Mine is medium size/height at 42 lbs and 19 inches. Sounds like his breeder crosses bc's out with larger breeds That probably isn't totally unheard of, as some shepherds and ranchers may want bigger dogs so that they can herd bigger livestock.

Cali, I totally agree with you! I'm in the BC club of Northern California... and I've met a lot of people with barbie bc's. The coat texture alone seems totally unnecessary .. I can't stand the big, fluffed out hair and short muzzles and everything. Archie, my bc, is from herding stock all the way back. He was raised on a cattle/sheep ranch and was started on sheep at a very young age. He looks a little bit mangier than your average show border collie, with a longer muzzle and a lankier, but muscled, body. He has perfect fur, exactly what a shepherd would want out of a dog that was meant to herd sheep through all types of weather, especially rain. I also totally agree that ranch dogs are a lot more animated and true to the breed... and cuter My boy could beat out any pretty barbie collie, when it comes to trueness to what bc's were made for

What annoys me is when owners of barbie collies ask me if my dog is a purebred. Of course he is! He might not be beautiful and primped, but he is an awesome dog with great instinct, loyalty, and hardiness and that's how borders were meant to be. He was raised on a ranch, where border collies belong, not in some kennel.