Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd looking border collie

Odd looking border collie

My uncle has a purebred border collie. It was bought from a reputable breeder, is registered in CKC, has a pedigree and papers and such. But he looks nothing like a BC.

My mom says that this dog is from an older pure line from Scotland or something.

He's black and white and has long fur and a long tail, but he is very broad with a wide muzzle and head, and he's huge. At first look, I'd say he looks more like a pyrenees cross. He's gorgeous though, with a perfect white blaze down his face, and dark brown eyes. He certainly acts like a BC, he's very hyper and loves his ball.

Is there a certain type of border collie like this?
    I've been BOO'd!

sounds like a barbie collie to me, othetwise known as a "show" border collie, wich is NOT a real border collie. but without pics I cant tell, lots of border collies have long hair, and most are broad bodied, but I would really have to see a pic. the reason I say barbie collie is that it have all these pedigrees and CKC registered, with "papers" and such, which is not what a border collie should be, may be good for most breeds but BCs are different the real border collies come from a farm are not given shots from puppyhood so that only the best of the breed are around, and are not registered exept maybe with a BC registry, and is bred soley for ability and never for looks. sorry I think I am blabbing about real BCs again oops sorry I will stop now

can I see pics??
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I am with....

I think htat "cali" is right. Barbie collies are rear. Arn't they?
    Layka

Barbie collies aren't all that rare. You can easily find breeders that have papers, pedigrees going back to a long time ago...and blahblahblah. If I do get my future bc from a breeder, I want a real bc. One with parents that work on stock...and do what they were bred to do..and not for looks.

Back to the topic...can you get pics anytime soon? Well...I guess it's very possible it's still pure-bred and well bred also. I believe Kai's well bred but he's a really weird looking sheltie. He doesn't look anything like the breed standard but he's pure-bred...

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

that goes along with what someone was saying in another thread about 'valley' and 'mountain' border collies.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

I can't get pics. Gunner's (the dog) owner broke up with my aunt so I don't really have any good reason to go see him lol.

I'll see if I can find a pic that looks like him..
    I've been BOO'd!

What do they look like do you have picts?
    Layka

you mean what does a barbie collie look like??????

here is a barbie collie

Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Re: Odd looking border collie

Our old dog trainer had a scottish BC named Scott
    He was small as a real BC but was ticolor... I dont know how it is in usa but here is almost ALL BC:s black/white....

Over here, it's common to see bc's in the blk/wht coat but there are tris, merles and reds thrown in.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    A CKC registered BC? hmmm must be an older dog considering that the CKC does not at this point in time reconize BC's, either way I would and will gladly stick to my lean mean herding (though she doesn't herd sheep or anything like that, and she's far from mean) machine.

I personally prefer BC's that have a sleek streamlined look to them then the huskier barbie collies.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Originally posted by Crikit
    A CKC registered BC? hmmm must be an older dog considering that the CKC does not at this point in time reconize BC's, either way I would and will gladly stick to my lean mean herding (though she doesn't herd sheep or anything like that, and she's far from mean) machine.

I personally prefer BC's that have a sleek streamlined look to them then the huskier barbie collies.
    I know, I was actually thinking about that today lol. I remembered that they aren't recognised, but he said that Gunner was registered...Can you register a Canadian dog in another country's registry? Or something...?

That picture looks NOTHING like Gunner. Gunner is huge. He must be 100 pounds, although it could be his fur that makes him look so muscular.. He looks more like a bernese mountain dog. He's past my hip, and I'm 5'6. He's really big. I talked to my other aunt and she said that he has herding lines, but not for cattle, for sheep. But he himself doesn't have any herding instinct at all.
    I've been BOO'd!

that does not sound like a border collie at all! 55 lbs is huge for a BC any bigger and there is no way its pure ya I wasent sure, but not all barbie collies look like that picture thats just the first pic I found, basicly a barbie collie has long fluffy hair, is husky, and a short muzzle and basicly looks like an aussie with a tail oh and yes dogs in canada can regiter with AKC, happys parents are registered, well her dad is, but thats cuz her dad is from the states a breeder of barbies collies, alothough he is not one himself, his parents were bought for working only there are long coat border collies but its never fluffy
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Well, he says Gunner is purebred...and he sure acts purebred. I think maybe his lines consisted of overly large border collies? They say he is from an older line from Scotland. And sometimes breeds from different countries look different. Like German shepherds from Germany are heavier, stockier, with more prominent noses, and stronger. American ones are thinner, more agile, with thinner noses and are smaller. Do you think that could be the case?

Your description sounds alot like him, but he is just really big. He looks more like an aussie than a border, but he's just so big.

I know that sometimes pedigrees are false, but I don't know about the pedigree AND the papers AND the registry.
    I've been BOO'd!

ok what I did find is that registry and papers do not mean the pup is pur, because the registry only knows what the breeder tells them, pedigree and registry ARE papers so if both can be wrong then I bet they are, border collies just dont get that big, sounds like a barbie collie, but overly large, probibly crossed with a very large dog in its lines, a bernese mountain dog or something, that is just WAY to big for a BC, they are medium sized dogs and 55lbs is already very big double that is giant and definatly NOT border collie size
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to: