Thread: Do you brush your cats teeth?

Do you brush your cats teeth?

I was just wondering who here brushes their cats teeth and how often. I try to brush Tibby and Corkscrew's teeth once a week, but I forget so it's more like once every two weeks. Corkscrew is great about it, he doesn't really seem to mind. Tibby is a little harder but she still lets me brush her tetth.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I've tried it with Luna, but she hated it, so I gave it up. She's eating Hill's Oral now instead, with a very good result so far!

I'm planning to get Lily accostumed to getting her teeth brushed - wish me luck!

Kirsten

I suppose I should try it - although I HAVE gotten quite used to having 10 fingers, and would prefer to continue with 10 if at all possible!!!

How exactly do you go about it, and what equipment is needed?

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Sorry, I like my fingers the way they are so I don't NOT brush their teeth. Instead I give them plenty of dry food and the dental treats (which they love). The last time I took Emily in the vet actually remarked about how good her teeth were (given that she is almost 3 yo).

Zeus gets his teeth brushed, Peppurr and Majesty would bite my fingers off if I tried!

Tigris and Filou said they would rip my arm off

The vet said trying to brush the teeth of an un-willing cat could cause more psychological harm to our relationship than it would help.

I took one look at Bastet - valued my life - and have never tried.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Well, I try... Cassy loves the taste of our fish-flavored cat toothpaste, but isn't fond of the sensation of brush on fang. So I douse the brush with paste and tell him this is dessert for cats. Kind of silly, but marginally effective. He likes his brush so long as he has control of it. Somedays he takes it for a walk. Usually behind the T.V. My take on this is that he likes it. (Wonder if this is 'cat body language' for "I hate this thing and bury it behind the vast wasteland"???)

Livvy is more dainty and prefers the malt flavored cat toothpaste. Nothing's ever easy, right?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Fister likes the smell of Colgathe, but I bet I'd loose all my fingers if I tried to brush his teeth. He's due for the second cleaning soon - might as well when we take him for the vaccination.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I tried a long time ago with Storm and Sunny and they were okay with it. My other cats Sky and Cirrus would hate it though. Now I just feed them dry cat food that is supposed to help clean their teeth. Both Sunny and Storm have had their teeth cleaned before and I'm sure that my cats will need this done in the future.

I think it's easier to start this when their still kittens. Also some cats have better teeth than others no matter what you do.

How exactly do you go about it, and what equipment is needed?
    I bought a set from Petsmart it had toothpaste a finger toothbrush and a regular toothbrush. The first few times I put the toothpaste on my finger and let them lick it off. Then after a while I put the finger brush on and put some toothpaste on it. They both really seemed to like the texture of it and they would knaw on it a little, so while they were doing that I'd move my finger back and forth across their teeth. Then after a few weeks of that I brought out the toothbrush, I always just put it in front of their face first then wait for them to try to eat the toothpaste, once they put it in their mouth I hold them and start brushing. Corkscrew is very good about this, I brush his teeth while he is on the cat tree and all I have to do is lift his lips a little to brush the teeth. Tibby is more squirmish so I put her in my lap to do it.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Yep. Dudley and Sammy get their teeth brushed. It is really hard to brush Sammy's teeth because they are so tiny. Dudley drools really bad when I brush his teeth...

The toothpaste smells like vanilla frosting. The kit included a long toothbrush, fingerbrush, and the toothpaste. I never use the fingerbrush because it is too big for Sammy and Dudley chomps on it with his molars....owowowowowowowow- it hurts.

I don't brush my cats' teeth. Jessica was an adult ferral cat when she came to us and although she has calmed down, I would probably still lose a hand if I tried. Fortunately her teeth are in good condition. She is over 10 now and hasn't had to have them cleaned. Sam and Daisy wouldn't tolerate it either, although we got them into the house at a few months, they still didn't handle until much later.

We also use the dry food and dental chews solution.

Brush my cat's teeth??????? You're joking, right??? I can barely get their nails clipped without having my arms turned into shredded wheat!!! Besides, I have 8 cats. By the time I finished, I'd have to start all over again!!!

Brush my cat's teeth, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I suppose I should, Blueberry's breath does kind of smell

But even trimming nails my hand ends up in scratches and teeth marks. So I'd rather get a vet to brush his teeth.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -