Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump?

Bump?

Simba has a bump on his side. I'm not sure what it is. What are cysts like? How can I tell that it's just a cyst?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

No way I know of for sure except taking him to the vet. It's probably harmless, but better safe than sorry!

Soft and movable ---- fat.......... hard and *not* movable .... go to the vet.

Icarus had a cyst once. It was huge, it took up his whole shoulder and more. It appeared next to his injury is because the injury swelled a bit and put pressure on the sebaceous gland, kind of blocking it. This in turn caused a build up of sebum and oils within the skin. After a few weeks, I finally popped it, and yuck, it was really gross. Lol.

Is it a tiny bump? I'm not sure what they are called, but there are bumps that dogs get sometimes. They look like moles. My friend took her cocker spaniel to the vet about it, and she was told that they are nothing to worry about.

Hope it's not serious!
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh gosh... it's hard and hard to move around...oh gosh...oh gosh.. no one is home. I have to wait until my dad gets home from my aunts. I wish I knew their number oh gosh oh gosh..

The bump is like the size of a quarter.

-rx bandits

I would go to the vet just to be sure. Is it just like hanging there, or is it in the skin?

it's under his skin

It may just not move because he's so fat and it has no room to move.

I don't think it should be anything bad... he JUST went to the vet for his checkup a week or so ago, wouldnt they of seen it if it was cancerous?

-rx bandits

It could also be an abscess. Sometimes abscesses are hard, but most times are soft. But don't poke around it too much...If it is an abscess, it's a possibility that you could squish the puss inside of it back into Simba's bloodstream and give him blood poisoning.
    I've been BOO'd!

Sweetie, don't worry too much. Most doggie bumps I've known are harmless - they do LOOK scary, though. Gracie (the mostly Great Dane my family had) had one on her side that SEEMED huge - especially in that oh-so-smooth Dane coat. But it was just a "wen" said her Scottish doc, and he promised it didn't hurt her, so there it stayed throughout her extra-long life, never causing her harm. The vet probably saw it and knew it was harmless a week ago, so forgot to mention it. You can call them Monday and double-check.

Don't get too worried. Call the vet, see if he had noted it on the chart. If not, a little trip to the vet wouldn't hurt.

There are so many types of lumps. Shiloh's last lump was hard, solid, immovable and on her leg. All the things her vet did not like. She had it removed and it was not cancer. Killian has had quite a few lumps removed, all benign. At the moment Killian has one over his hip. We are watching it. (He can't undergo surgery even if it is something ). So hang in there and don't worry. The vet can tell you if he feels it should be removed or just watched. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Don't worry - it is probably nothing

How big is it. It could be a pimple or a cyst or a fatty tissue deposit. If he was just at the vet last week and the vet saw nothing, my guess it is minor. Buster (my RB lab) had fatty deposits for 5 years before he passed on and when he did it had nothing to do with his "lumps". They looked like big lumps - but were harmless. Call the vet on Monday and talk to him/her. Cancerous lumps do not appear overnight. If you are really anxious - try the websites that offer "Ask the Vet".

Joxer always gets a bump when he gets vaccinated. I massage them and it goes away in a week or two.

I've had bumps on dogs be anything from a fatty lump to a cyst. They usually have to aspirate it to make sure.
    ~Kat

Hoping it's nothing to worry about! Are you planning on seeing the vet?? Keep us up-to-date, please!

I'll be praying that its nothing to worry about. Keep us updated. Hopefully you'll be just fine Simba. Don't worry.

Spot got a bump on his shoulder a few days after his vaccinations. It looked really big at first, but went down within a few days.

I know the gut reaction is to rush to the vet, but maybe give it a day or two and see if it changes...if not or it gets bigger, take him in. Even if it is something, one or two days really won't hurt him. And if it is smaller in a day or two you save the money for another time.

Paws and fingers crossed til we hear...