Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem ... Advice?

I have a problem ... Advice?

Hi Pet Talkers,

Well I just don't know what to do. Last night I came back to my house, and was unpacking my car to my front lawn to carry it in to the house and all of a sudden I felt a gentle thud on my leg. I looked down and saw two huge green eyes staring at me. "Meeeew" was the response. I said "Hi Kitten!" and rub rub rub against my leg. I leaned down and pet her for a little while, then *jump* *cling* ... I had a grey furry attachment to my shirt. Instant purrrrrs. I stood there for a while and then looked at her collar. I found the address on the collar, and took the kitten to the house. I pounded on the door until I woke them. She answered the door, and I said "I found your Kitten, she is far to small to be outside, and you should probably keep her inside. She was almost killed twice." It wasn't far from the truth, my street is quite busy. So here is my dilemma. This kitten, yes kitten, should not be outside. It is too trusting and too young to understand what the big roar machines are on the road. To me personally this kitten should be inside and ... well mine. I will not let this kitten get smooshed by a car. There is no by-laws regarding "Cats" only "Dogs" so city enforcement won't do anything. I have warned them about letting their cat out and the Coyote warning that the city has out along with the bear and cougar warnings. My Question: Do I keep the cat as my own, keep it safe, and love it til it can't be loved anymore?

Regards,
    A/V Dept.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A/V Department to ..... ?

Pic 2

Second Picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes... I have a video

the video is 22megs, if anyone wants to see her in action

I don't have any advice besides trying to convince the current owners that she should stay inside. If they do not want her, KEEP HER!

She's so beautiful!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

OMG she is so cute! As for what to do I'm really not sure. Because they aren't exactly abusing her, and some people do choose to keep their cats outside. While I would never let my cats outside, I know that some people do it. Maybe you should tell them that she comes to your house all the time and you have fallen in love with her and would really like to make her a part of your family and that they could come and visit her anytime they'd like.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Definitely KEEP HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either you make a decision, or fate makes the decision. I would choose to make the decision.

That's a WAY CUTE Kitty!!

Hey Nate ~

Tuff decision!

Questions I'd ask...

How CLOSE does Kitty live to you?
    ... NEXT door or a couple houses away - it might be a little unpleasant for everyone involved...
    ... Two blocks or a mile away - no question - she has a new home!

That she has a collar and tags indicates the "owner" has some feelings and concern for her (and will miss her if she just *vanishes*).

What did the "owner" SAY when you returned her?
    And was she taken *inside* - or released back outside?

Any lil SkinKids involved with this kitten?
    A small child may really miss the Kitten - regardless of your/our feelings for the adults.

You might want to monitor the situation for a few days to see how well cared for the kitten is - before you make any decisions.

And lastly -
    What's the penalty for Kitty-Napping in Canada?
    You won't be able to help her too much if you're going to be in the *slammer* for the next 10 years!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I think Phred has some great ideas, and I have to agree that since she had a collar on with tags, they definitely intended for her to be returned to them.

However, I also think Laura's advice (Uabassoon) is good too. They might say no way, she's our kitty, but they also might say sure, go ahead she's yours, and you'll never know until you ask.

I do think, though, that since she had the tags, and you did return her once - so they know who you are - you'll definitely have to talk to them before just keeping her.

And I agree, she is way too small to be left outside on her own.

And where do we see the video?

Oh, and if it doesn't work out with her, now that you know you want a kitty of your own, I'm sure we could help find just the right one for you.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Re: That's a WAY CUTE Kitty!!

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
    Hey Nate ~

Tuff decision!

Questions I'd ask...

How CLOSE does Kitty live to you?
    ... NEXT door or a couple houses away - it might be a little unpleasant for everyone involved...
    ... Two blocks or a mile away - no question - she has a new home!

She lives across the street from my grandmothers house, which I am currently staying at, but as for _my_ house, it's miles away.

That she has a collar and tags indicates the "owner" has some feelings and concern for her (and will miss her if she just *vanishes*).
    Coyote, Cougar, Bear, Nathan one of these things is nicer than the others. can you tell which one? (sesame street payed off :P)

What did the "owner" SAY when you returned her?
    And was she taken *inside* - or released back outside?
    inside, released in the morning

Any lil SkinKids involved with this kitten?
    A small child may really miss the Kitten - regardless of your/our feelings for the adults.
    not to my knowlege .. no kids

You might want to monitor the situation for a few days to see how well cared for the kitten is - before you make any decisions.

And lastly -
    What's the penalty for Kitty-Napping in Canada?
    You won't be able to help her too much if you're going to be in the *slammer* for the next 10 years!
    Well .. for stealing a kitty, i don't know, but if I were to "find" her without a collar and take her in as my own, feed her, love her, and keep her inside wouldn't that be humanitarian?

Confused,
    A/V Dept.

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    And where do we see the video?
    It's 22MB. I can send it over MSN if you are interested. '[email protected]'

A/V Dept.

Take her!

This person does not care. I would just make sure it's subtle because you're the first person she will suspect.

P.S. She looks like my Bettie Blue....

I'm in two minds about this situation.

As you guys know, my cats are inside/outside and so I don't think a cat should be stolen just because he/she has some freedom to wander.

But on the other hand, even I keep my kittens in doors. Kittens need to be indoors until they have grown a bit and been altered.

But whatever you decided, please be direct with the owners, it is the only fair thing to do.

If they care enough to tag their kitten, how bad would they feel if she went missing.

wonder where this is headed...?

Originally posted by Lirathal
    She lives across the street from my grandmother's house,
    which I am currently staying at,
    but as for *my* house,
    it's miles away...

I don't know, but if I were to "find" her without a collar
    and take her in as my own, feed her, love her, and keep her inside -
    wouldn't that be humanitarian?
    This seems to be *leading* in one direction...

So Nate ~

Just how long will you and the "LOST" Kitty be "hiding out" at GranMaw's Howze??

But please - *Watch* the situation for a few days...
    (Unless Kitty is crossing the street - in which case *I* would take some positive action.)

The collar and tags say "They Care" - they just may be ignorant of what may happen with her running loose. At least have another conversation with her "folks" - try to get a feel for *how much* they care...
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I guess my problem with these owners is not that they let their cat out, but that they put her right back out as soon as a neighbor voiced his concerns about a kitten being out at night. Add to that the problem of coyotes, cougars, etc. and it seems to me like these people aren't being very smart.