View Poll Results: Would you help a wild animal?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd give it the care needed!

24 61.54%
  • No, it is wild, and you should let nature take it's course.

3 7.69%
  • I don't know

12 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you save it?

Would you save it?

Today my family and I went to a field to have out pictures done. We came across a large mouse thing -- I'm not sure what it was...It looked like a giant agouti mouse with a cute brown tail and pretty golden highlights around it's legs. It had a hole in it's side and it gasped for air every couple seconds and it's belly was sunken. I felt so bad for the poor thing

I really wanted to take it home and treat it, but my mom wouldn't let me. Where I believe that all suffering creatures should be helped, she believes that it's nature, and it should be left to die.

If you found a suffering wild creature, would you leave it and let nature take it's course, or would you save it and treat it until it was better?
    I've been BOO'd!

Depends on the situation and it depends on what animal it is. If I had a safe way to transport it (like a carrier) and a place to take it (Wildlife Rescue) then I wouldn't hesitate. But some wild creatures carry disease and I would very very cautious. I would not want to treat it myself because I've no experience in that area.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'll have to agree with Slick. Once my friends and I were walking to school and there was a bird who couldn't fly. Its wing was broken, I think. It was sticking out and even if people walked near him, he wouldn't fly away. I wanted to help so bad but I didn't know how to. I was going to school, I couldn't just pick it up and go. Also, some birds may carry diseases and lastly, I wouldn't have known what to do. *shrugs* If I did see an injured dog or cat or something and I was at home, I would probably do my best but something like a crow or a seagull...I just don't know what they could carry with them.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Yes, I would try to save it. If it were an animal that we don't have to fear (mice, birds, etc.) I would simply get gloves and put it in a shoebox and transport it to a wildlife refuge.

I have done this before with birds, chipmunks and squirrels. The people there are extremely friendly and will help any animal no matter how ordinary it may be.

If it were something more intimidating or large, I would call the wildlife refuge and let them know the details of the injury and location of the animal.

I would help it.

I already have helped out wild animals. I helped out an injured Mallard duck and a fawn. The duck had a broken wing and couldn't fly. So my dad picked it up, and I held it on my lap- on a towel. We took it to the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee. They have a wildlife rehabilation service, and they fixed the wing and released the duck. I don't want to talk about the fawn, because it is too sad. Let's just say we ended its pain after a person hit it and didn't stop. It's a LONG story anyways.

I have rescued countless painted and snapping turtles from the road. I think that counts too as far as helping them out!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I would have taken it to a vet or wildlife refuge. I've done that before with an injured bird.. I just couldn't let it suffer I wouldn't treat it in my own home though.

It depends here too. I'd more likely save animals that I know once helped they could go back to the wild and arn't young enough to think I'm momma.

I wouldn't treat it myself either, I would let professionals do it.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yes, I would try to save a wild animal if it was sick or injured. Of course, my safety would come first. If it was a freakin lion or bear, I'm running. hehe.

My husband just told me a story yesterday. He said that when he was a kid, he found a hawk. It was a beautiful hawk, but it was obviously not well because it let Mike pick it up. He said he was carrying it home to take care of it and these teenagers bullied him and took the hawk. He said they tormented it, tied rocks to its feet, and threw it in the river. Mike said he ran home crying, and to this day, it bothers him. He says he'll never forget how beautiful the hawk was. My husband isn't a real sensitive guy, so I was surprised he'd share that with me. We were both in tears by the end of his story.

it really depends for me, if I seen a wild animal injured and in pain I would either put it out of its misery or try to help it. If I seen animals killing another animal I wouldent interfere because that is the way it was ment to be.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I wouldn't take it to a vet. I'd call a vet, but I would never take it to them unless it was really really necessary. I've done that with injured birds I've found, taken them all to different vets and every time they just kill it.

I don't think my city has an animal refuge/rehab. I'm going to look it up incase one day I run into something I can't handle
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 08-11-2003 at 10:49 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

it really depends for me, if I seen a wild animal injured and in pain I would either put it out of its misery or try to help it. If I seen animals killing another animal I wouldent interfere because that is the way it was ment to be.
    I agree.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

it depends when I was younger I was walking with my brother and our friend, and we came across a red winged halk with a broken wing on the sidewalk, my brother and our friend stayed behind a watched the halk while I ran home to get my mom, she found a box, and towl and called the wildlife center, she came used the towl to get the halk in the box and then draped the towel over the box to help keep the halk calm, we kept him at our house until the wildlife people came to pick him up but them the halk was injured bad and was laying on the ground but alive, I think I woul dlet nature take its coarse for an animal with teeth however, they can and do bite when afraid, they could get me really really sick if i tried anything. it really depends on the problem and the animal.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cali
    came across a red winged halk.
    There is no such thing as a Red Winged Halk. Do you mean a Red Tailed Hawk?

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

oop yes I meant red tailed halk *blush* dont know where I got winged from but yes tail is was what I meant to say
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils