Thread: Dog Program Benefits from Prison Training

Dog Program Benefits from Prison Training

Dog Program Benefits From Prison Training
    Thu Aug 7,11:31 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By BILL BASKERVILL, Associated Press Writer

STATE FARM, Va. - Ignoring a fire hydrant with steely resolve, four abandoned dogs saved from death and transformed into pillars of the canine community wagged, panted and drooled as they graduated from a prison prep school.

After eight weeks of instruction for five to six hours a day, Alley, Shaggy, Tasha and Terry heeled, sat, lay down and stayed Wednesday to the delight of about 75 people looking on within the razor wire-topped fences of the James River Correctional Center.

Inmates here have turned scores of dogs into lovable, well-mannered pets adopted nationwide.

The Pen Pals program, begun in April 2001, is designed to lower the euthanasia rate at public pounds, provide job skills to inmates and teach prisoners respect for life.

Of the 60 dogs that have started the James River program, all but one have graduated, said Catherine Leach, director of Pen Pals for Save Our Shelters, an animal protection group that funds and operates the program.

"He was nervous, he was barking, maybe a little too high strung for living in prison," said Leach. Like the other dogs, however, he still found a home on the outside.

Tasha, a 2-year-old purebred Siberian husky, was the 10th dog trained by senior inmate trainer Anthony Orange.

"She was a little stubborn the first two or three weeks," said Orange. "She would bolt." On graduation day, Tasha was on her best behavior, complying with all commands and even ignoring two pieces of hot dog placed on the back of her paws until Orange gave her permission to eat.

Steve Marcus of Richmond has adopted Tasha as a companion for his other female husky.

"It's incredible what they've done with them," said Marcus. "I think it's the greatest program I've ever heard of for saving dogs from euthanasia."

Shaggy, of uncertain lineage, wound up in prison after his owner was shot to death, said inmate trainer Jay Earney. The 2-year-old flawlessly performed all the commands — blindfolded.

"It takes a special dog to do it. It takes a confident dog to do it," explained Earney.

Participating inmates receive no compensation but provide training that could cost as much as $1,000, Leach said. The inmates must be on honor status to get into the program, which is led by professional trainer Pat Lacy.

A fire hydrant served as an unintended centerpiece for the graduation ceremony on the prison lawn, but the dogs showed no interest in it.

Roger Walz, the prison operations officer, insisted it was only a coincidence that the dogs were lined up behind the hydrant, part of the prison fire safety system. "This is the best place we have to do this," he said.

The ceremony was filmed by the "Animal Planet" cable channel, which plans to air a 1-hour program on Pen Pals early next year.

The program was expanded this summer to the Fluvanna Correctional Center for Women and the Botetourt Correctional Unit. Later this month, a Pen Pals program will start at Buckingham Correctional Center, Leach said.

The program has a down side for the inmate trainers, however.

"They live with you. They sleep at the foot of your bed," said trainer Wes Adkins. "It's difficult to see them leave."

___

Isn't that the most amazing program! Everyone comes out a winner. The pups get a new leash on life and the prisoners learn a skill, experience the incomparable feeling of unconditional love (which I doubt few have ever known) and their self esteem just soars! I saw a documentary on this program once before. It was so heartwrenching. It was so bittersweet at the end as the dogs and their prisoner/trainers said their final goodbyes. Gosh, to see these "tough guys" in tears!! I'll be looking out for the AP special! Thanks!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I agree, it is a wonderful program.
    I saw it on cable too, and was amazed at
    how it turned hard core inmates around.
    Sandra, the program I saw had one guy with
    tatoo's from head to toe, who never spoke to anyone and visa versa until he got into this program.
    I had my kleenix box in full use.

----<---<--<{(@

Just proves what "healers" our precious puppers are, Karen

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Once saw a similar program on TV...

Inmates training to be Groomers when they graduated to the outside.
    Had a multi-station Pet Salon inside the walls...
    Kritters brought in for a day (I think) and received a full-course make over .

Foggy memory thinks they specialized in cats...?

Too bad more prison systems don't try this - probably be
    a LOT less "repeaters".
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

So right Phred! Picturing the inmates grooming the pups and kitties..."mulit station" Pet Salon

What a wonderful program.
    I too had heard of this before, and I can't wait to see it on TV.
    When it airs, we should all give each other a heads up, so we don't miss it.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada