Thread: Peanut and her Mousie

Peanut and her Mousie

As most of you know, Peanut has her little "house" that she so adores.

And you also know that she likes to play with her mousie.

She will normally play with her mousie while I'm there, watching or getting dressed, or just in the general vicinity. Once I leave the room, the mouse is ignored as Peanut follows me out.

Well, last night I was unloading the dishwasher in the kitchen. Peanut was in the dining room, sitting on her "front porch" which is the flap of the box that is flat on the ground. The next thing you know, I hear this noise. Tubby was laying on the rug right next to me, and his ears perked up and he looked quite interested in what was going on in the other room - but didn't get up.

I peeked around the corner, and here's Peanut, attacking her mousie! She would pick it up in her mouth, and as she shook her head back and forth, she'd let go and the mouse would go flying. She'd chase after it and bat it around, then pick it up and flip it again, chase it again, bat at it again.....This went on for at least 10 minutes! I don't ever remember seeing her play on her own like this, with no one around, no audience, just Peanut playing with her mousie. We had been gone over the weekend, and the camera still wasn't back in it's normal spot, so I didn't get any pics, but she was so cute flipping and chasing.

After about 10 minutes she flipped one last time, but didn't chase. Instead she decided to take a break so it was back to her "front porch" where she kept an eye on the mousie in case it started getting out of hand again.

Tubby just remained on the rug next to me. Looking interested, but I guess not enough to get up and investigate closer - good thing because that would have broke up the little play scene.

Guess my sweetie isn't such an old lady after all.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Peanut is such a darling, it sounds like she had a lot of fun with the mousie. I can picture it.

Love the pics! Is there anything better than card board boxes - Fister has some too, he is fighting with them nearly every night and having a blast.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Peanut, I can picture you playing with your mousie and just being so cute.
    Steffi and Lovable

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Peanut is just SO CUTE .... Mitzi would like to come play too. She's started doing the same thing with the Mousies every evening when we have playtime. She's just happy as a kitty playing by herself - flinging the mousie and chasing after it. She also starts chasing her tail too .... Mishi just looks on in bewilderment. my fluffy cuties!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Peanut and Bastet should get together and have a mousie flinging competition!!

Bastet does that too! Its very cute to watch! I hope that I will get pictures one day of that happening too!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

I think Peanut's trying to let you know that she still has some kitten left in her. Sunny, Cirrus, and Sky love to play like this and Storm will do it when he's in his frisky mood.

Sounds like my little Mandy. I think Peanut is showing you she still has the little kitten inside. I love the picture of her in her "house".
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Sweet Peanut! Juni does the same - shaking her head, sending the mouse or the whatever toy she's playing with high up, then catches it and so on. And newer, Pichu also plays by himself - he prefers the kithen - and we just hear noises

I love it when they dance with that mousie. Peanut you are great doing that for ten minutes. Not even Filou will do it for ten minutes and Tigris most of the time is too lazy for it alltogether

You look so cute in your housie. Didn't your mom once spray it with Feliway? Now I'm glad to see you inhabit it again, cutie

I AM IN LOVE WITH PEANUT!!!

That story just melted my heart... and seeing her sit in her house!

Tinky plays that game with her catnip mouse... it is soooo cute!!

*KISSES* for Peanut...

next time thought... *I DEMAND PICTURES!!*
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

What a heartwarming story and Peanut is still a great hunter... and a kitten at heart!!!
    She's sooooo cute and I do love that little sign with her name on it on her housie...

I guess every mouse - near or far - got the message:
    Never ever underestimate the power of a born hunter even if she sometimes pretend to be a nice, older and comfy lady!!!
    RRROOOOAAARRRRRRR!!!RRROOOOAAARRRRRRR!!!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

Thanks everyone. The last few days have been back to the so eloquently put "nice, older and comfy lady." No interest in the mousie at all. So I have no idea what got into her that day - guess the mousie was just getting out of hand that day.

Yes, Barbara, you're right, I did spray her little house with Feliway, and she abandoned it after that. After a few weeks of "airing out" I put some dry catnip in the house, and it's now back as her favorite spot again. Whew! Thank goodness I didn't ruin it forever for her. She just adores that box and always goes running to it, scrapes her paws on the edge of the cardboard, then sits on her "front porch" and watches the household go by.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Your Peanut is BEAUTIFUL!! These pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I need a new cardboard box, my cats haven't had one for ages!!

Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
    I need a new cardboard box,

Yep, if someone didn't know what we were talking about here, they'd think we were all bonkers.

Little would they know that cardboard boxes are such an attraction to our sweeties.

I was also thinking after I posted the reply above, that it's interesting that Tubby wants nothing to do with Peanuts "house." He likes boxes too, but I guess they need to be smaller since he really doesn't need hiding spots like Peanut does. Goofy kitties. Or maybe it's the challenge of trying to fit his somewhat "tubby" body into a "not so tubby" box.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012