Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of dog food?

What kind of dog food?

Hi Everyone...I was curious to find out what brand of dog food everyone feeds their dogs. Katie is almost done with her bag of dog food that we got with her and my husband wants to try something different and better for her. He is strongly considering Eukanuba, because he read somewhere that it is really good stuff. It also has a good price on it too!!! Would like to hear what other folks feed their dogs.

Have a great day all....Robin

I would suggest trying Nutro Max. I believe it is in the same price range as Eukanuba. Eukanuba is owned by same company as Iams now and has degraded in quality. Nutro Max is a great food that you can commonly find though.

Also the Chicken Soup for the Soul foods are VERY HIGH quality. If you can find somewhere where they are selling that, that would be great to try. As it gains popularity, the big chain pet stores will probably start selling it.

Also Innova, Flint River Ranch, California Natural, and Canidae are good. I know I'm forgetting a lot but other people will come on and add their input too
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I recommend Chicken Soup for a Dog Lovers Soul. You can go to http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...m/default.html and check it out. Just read what it's made of and you will be sold. I think you can do a search on their website to see where it is sold in your area. And beleive it or not, it costs less than eukanuba and has higher quality food in it....

I researched many foods before picking out the one right for our puppy. We also plan to do the BARF diet (2-3 times per week)...havent started that yet though. BARF is raw meat and is recommened for dogs suseptible to bloat (and anyone who perfers this method of feeding for their dog)...and makes the dogs coat look awesome.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents

Robyn

I have used Eukanuba for years now, although I am introducing the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul right at this point, just for the reasons that Christiansmommy pointed out.

They don't seem to like it any more or any less than the Eukanuba so I may switch over entirely since it does appear to be very good and is less expensive.

Aly, in what way has Eukanuba degraded? How can you tell? Have the ingredients on the outside of the bag changed? Just wondering because I haven't noticed any difference.

that is so wild! i've heard of chicken soup books but not the pet food. i love it!!!

i used to feed my gurls nutro but now they get iams.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Another vote here for Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

We are in the process of switching foods right now. We previously gave them Eukanuba and they've done great.
    My main reasons for switching...I got a free 6lb bag from the company & the dogs loved it, plus...the smell. It actually smells good (not good enough for me to eat but good), much better than the Eukanuba does, and the ingredients are better.
    But everyone has their own thoughts on the subject.
    Here is another thread if your interested:
    What's the best kind of dog food?
    And here is a link to help aid in the selection of Pet Food
    Selecting a Commercial Pet Food

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I feed and recommend Nutro.

Kai was fed Eukanuba for the first few months of his life. He did fine on it. Then we switched to wellness for a couple weeks. He did alright on it also. It wasn't long enough for me to notice any big differences. Then we went on nutro max for a couple weeks. This again, wasn't long enough to see any changes. Then I finally switched to BARF. Kai's doing excellent on it. His coat is far better looking, his eyes are brighter and there's more energy in him. A great advantage for me is that he doesn't take as many poops and when he does, they dry up and turn chalky after a day or two.

Some quality kibbles that come to mind are wellness, canidae, innova, california natural, eagle pack and back to basics. Keep in mind, your dog could to horrible on canidae and wonderful on something like ol roys.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

My dogs have a constant supply of Iam's dry food and get fed a can of Pedigree food a day.

i feed my two solid gold(w/seameal supplement), it is free of any chemicals, chemical preservitives, it has no grains, no soy, etc, and all the ingredients are of human quality(no by products, nothing diseased). i used to feed canidae, also a really good food. Someday i wish to switch my two to barf

i wouldn't consider eukanuba a real good food, it has all kinds of chemicals, preservatives, grains(dogs are carnivores, they were not ment to eat grains) , meats that weren't "good enough" for human consumption(why should we feed are pets something that we wouldn't eat?) other brands that are similar to this and i would stay away from are iams, science diet, pro plan, kibbles 'n' bits, pedigree, alpo, etc
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

We also feed Nutro Natural Choice. I strongly recomend it
    Dayna, Alex, Phoebe, Cleo, Rolo, Scooter, & Holly

Thank you so much Popcornbird!

i found a good link telling why certain foods are bad and such

http://www.doganswers.com/food_body.html

Re: What kind of dog food?

Robin,
    It is good to hear from you.
    If you do decide to change Katie's food, make
    sure you do it very gradually or it will upset her
    tummy.
    Hope to hear some Katie stories and see some pictures
    of you baby girl.

Karen

----<---<--<{(@

Could someone please tell me what BARF is and why it's good for the pups?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

BARF stands for bones are raw food(or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) i'm not good at explaining so i'll quote from Dr. Billinghurst's site(www.barfworld.com)

"BARF is about feeding dogs and cats properly. The aim of BARF is to maximize the health, longevity and reproductive capacity of pets and by so doing, minimize the need for veterinary intervention. How do you feed a dog properly? You feed it the diet that it evolved to eat. It’s evolutionary diet. A Biologically Appropriate Raw Food diet. A BARF diet. The BARF diet is simple in philosophy and construction. It looks at the diet of a wild or feral animal and mimics that type of feeding regime using available whole raw foodstuffs. The diet may be enhanced with various supplements. Once the principles are understood, anybody can do this. No great education is required. "

"The philosophy behind using BARF is that the diet a dog or cat evolved to eat - over many millions of years of evolution - is the best way to feed it. This is the hypothesis accepted by most modern zoos or any zoologist concerned with preserving a species of an endangered animal. It is not the theory endorsed by most pet food companies or the people they train - and that includes unfortunately - many vets. If you want to feed your dog BARF, it means not feeding your dog cooked and or processed food. That is, not feeding your dog a diet based on cooked grains, no matter how persuasive the advertising. Artificial grain based dog foods cause innumerable health problems. They are not what your dog was programed to eat during its long process of evolution.

A biologically appropriate diet for a dog is one that consists of raw whole foods similar to those eaten by the dogs' wild ancestors. The food fed must contain the same balance and type of ingredients as consumed by those wild ancestors. This food will include such things as muscle meat, bone, fat, organ meat and vegetable materials and any other "foods" that will mimic what those wild ancestors ate. Please note that modern dogs of any breed are not only capable of eating the food of their wild ancestors, but actually require it for maximum health. This is because their basic physiology has changed very little with domestication despite obvious and dramatic changes in their current physical appearance and mindset."