Thread: How many times a day did/do you feed your puppy?

How many times a day did/do you feed your puppy?

Originally, Dale was a little on the skinny side, so i had been blending his dry food with water to make it more "puppy teeth friendly" and more appealing to him (suggested by breeder), and eventually stopped that, and now i just am adding water to the dry food, and then i will do just dry. But my question is...how many times a day do you feed a puppy and for how long? I am doing 3 times a day right now...but am thinking about going to 2 times a day...(just larger quanities of food at each serving.) I guess this could depend on breed size and how much the dog is able to eat.

I know i have heard it is easier with housebreaking to do just twice a day, and that is what i will eventually do when he is grown, but i was just curious about what you all did, when you had your puppies.

Thanks.

I will post pics later on Dale (he has gained 4 lbs in the 2 weeks that we have had him...looks much bigger ) He is an awesome dog...i LOVE this breed....so great with Christian and great around the cats!

I feel Nala two cups in the morning, two cups around 5 or 6.

She gained 15 lbs the first week we had her.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Hi Christiansmommy!

Can't wait to see new pics of Dale!

I fed Oz 3 times a day, up until about 13 weeks old, then I went
    to 2 times. I still feed him twice a day, but he really only eats
    at one of the meals. Just nibbles a little at the other one. I feel
    like he should eat more, but the agility instructor told me he was
    the perfect weight, so I guess I'll trust that he knows when he's
    hungry.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I feel Nala two cups in the morning, two cups around 5 or 6.

She gained 15 lbs the first week we had her.

WOW!! 15 lbs the first week!! That is over 2 lbs a day!!

Originally, I fed kai 3 times a day. Once in the morning, after school and around 6. He barely ate any from the second and last meal. Now, I feed one in the morning and one around 7 or so. Sometimes I'll give him an egg or some fruits/veggies if he gobbled up his breakfast and seems to be hungry still.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I also fed my pups 3 times a day until
    they reached 6 months of age..
    After 6 months, I cut them back to 2 meals a day.
    I also mixed their puppy food with healthy
    adult food that is easy on their tummy's.
    I only used the puppy dry food instructions
    as a guide, on the amount to feed.
    Simply, if puppy gets to tubby, cut down on food, if
    to thin feed them more.

I also switched to a adult dog food at 10-11 months of age
    or fed a puppy kibble made for large size puppies.

Some pictures please.

----<---<--<{(@

It all depends on the dog itself, the breed, the age, etc..
    When I got both of mine, they were skin and bones, so I kept food in the bowls at all times. So I never got either of them on an eating schedule. (I know I should!!) But even with food in there bowls all the times, they only go to the bowl and eat twice a day, in the AM when I'm getting ready for work, and in the evening when were winding down watching TV.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

When we first got Daisy, we fed her 3 times a day, 1 cup in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at dinner time. With Molly, she was almost 5 months old when we got her, so we fed her 2 times a day, 1.5 cups in the morning and 1 cup around 5. Now, they get 2 cups a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night.

Sounds like my formula is similar to a lot of my pals! Star's breeder sent me home with very detailed feeding instructions when I brought her home and he insited that I follow them. She was 7 weeks old. For the first 6 months, she was fed large breed puppy formula, 3x per day..1 cp. per meal. Growing puppies actually require a higher calorie/nutrient content per meal that adults but at the same time, their immature digestive tracts cannot easily digest too large a volume at one feeding, hence the 3x per day schedule. After 6 months of age, her food was mixed 1/2 puppy formiula, 1/2 adult and she was started on two feedings per day, 1 1/2 cps. morning and evening. At 1 year, she was on adult only, 1 1/2 cps. 2 x per day. Hope this helps! Hugs to Dale!!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 07-29-2003 at 06:31 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I feed Darlin 2 times a day. She gets Breakfast and dinner. All though she gets lots of little snacks in between.

Originally posted by KYS
    I also fed my pups 3 times a day until
    they reached 6 months of age..
    After 6 months, I cut them back to 2 meals a day.

Boy, it's been 8 years since I had a puppy, but that is what I've always done as well.

My Vet used to say if their bowels are loose then you are feeding too much. A guide to the appropriate amount of food is a nice firm stool.

One thing though is that you have a really large breed dog whose nutritional needs may be quite different from those of our smaller breeds. In your case I would rely more on what the breed books may instruct as well as your vet. Another thing I have heard about very large breed is that you have to be careful with the amount of strenuous exercise they get as they grow.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Oh man, its been almost 9 yrs since Max was a pup, I was 11, hmmm I know we let him eat as much as he wanted when we first got him, then it went to 2 feedings/day & its been 1 feeding from there on. Max is about 70-80 pounds & he eats about 3 cups/day. We feed him Nutro & that food produces little waste, so he poops once aday & pees about 2-3 times aday. With Max we don't have to deal with him wanting to go outside every 5 mins for a pee or a poo, like the 2 annoying dogs here do.

with theodore (chihuahua) we fed ALOT of small meals often and that seemed to work with him, but id say feeding a puppy of dale's breeding would be alot different than feeding a chihuahua puppy.

with clover (now nearly 5 yrs old) we fed about 3-4 small meals, breakfast,lunch, dinner and a snack if she woke up hungry during the night.

ohhh now this will be testing my memory abit , with penny (now nearly 6 yrs) being one of our first ever dogs she pretty much ate when she wanted to and that was not very often.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I fed my pups 3 times a day. Now that they are older, I leave their bowls full, they are very good at not overeating.

Originally posted by Christiansmommy
    WOW!! 15 lbs the first week!! That is over 2 lbs a day!!
    Yup! It may have been a day over or a day short of a week. We got her on a Friday and late in the next week we took her to her first vet visit. She had weighed 13-15 lbs when we got her then when we took her to the vet she weighed 28-30 lbs.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits