Thread: Rat Question

Rat Question

Okay, you can totally tell I'm new to this pet business considering I want to post everything my furbabies do, but I was wondering, we put some cotton scraps from an old pair of pants for my rats to chew on and burrow in, and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't bad for them. There are some loose threads.

If there are any frayed edges I would take the cloth out as the ratties can get their little feet or toes strangled. Do you have any flannel to use? Maybe you should invest in a hammock or stuggle pouch. One of my favorite things to use for rats are my sons leftover baby blankets. They don't seem to chew them so they last long and they are really soft so the rats love to sleep in them.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thank you, we do have a hammock in the cage, but they don't seem to like to go in. We're considering putting a treat up there.

Yes some rats just do not like to use the hammocks. How about an igloo with some soft snuggle bedding? They also have ferret tunnels made of soft flannel that they might like. Sometimes their favorite things to play in are things you find laying around the house, like cardboard boxes.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

My stepmom made a playpen out of cardboard, so hopefully they'll like that, and they love climbing the couch, lol. But I'll definetely take a look around for what you suggested, considering their favorite place right now is below the first floor of the cage.

My ratties don't use their hammock but they LOVE their cardboard house.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]