Thread: worried about Mishka's tummy...

worried about Mishka's tummy...

I have an ongoing worry with my sweet little Mishka. I really need some input from my fellow Pet Talkers! Mishka seems to be a very healthy, happy kitty. He is very active and curious. He is always playing and running around with his tail sticking up straight up in the air (which is supposed to be a sign of happiness and contentment, right?). He also has a huge appetite. So all seems fine on the surface. His flatulence problem has subsided. But he still has very loose stool and quite frequently it smelly and runny - almost diarrhea. I have taken him to the vet several times. His stool was checked and was fine. He was put in Prescription Diet ID - he hates it and it hasn't make any difference at all in his stool (he's been on it for over 2 months now)
    So - does anyone here know - is it just normal for some cats to have loose stool? I mean its' not your usual "tootsie roll" like but like a "paddy" (oh gosh I could only get this descriptive here..)
    Should I be worried? Should I put him through all kinds of testing just in case? (the problem here is of course the $$)
    Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

I suppose he's dewormed so it's not that... But did you have him tested for e.coli? Luna had them and she used to have the same problems when she was younger, and it has totally disappeared after the treatment.

Could have many other reasons as well, for example some kind of food allergy... Does Mishka drink cow milk? Maybe it's just a simple lactose intolerance.

Kirsten

You may want to get a fecal test for him...the run about $25 here. I've learned that if they have loose stools because of a pest, you don't want to add fiber to stop the body from realeasing bad stuff. (Just like in humans)

Try that and then ask about Science Diet W/D...its done wonders for Micah....
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Perhaps another vet could give you a second opinion?

These are not the droids you were looking for

yay!

Well, I called my previous and original vet for Mishka with my concern. What an amazing guy - I am now definitely going back there even though it will be a far distance to go to see him. Anyhow - he took the time to speak to me on the phone for over a half hour!! He asked me a ton of questions about Mishka and suggested that I try to put him on some Metamucil (!?) for a couple of weeks before we go ahead and do a battery of tests.
    That suggestion alone makes me instantly trust this doctor because he is not pushing tests on me straight off the bat - which the other vet did right away which looked like a money grab to me.
    So Mishka has been on Metamucil for just over a week and it really seems to have helped. His stool is much better!! And he seems even happier and livelier than before - actually as my mom said "he's got the devil in him". He is bouncing off walls!! He acts kind of like this;

Silly, silly kitty
    Last edited by aguu; 07-23-2003 at 10:50 AM.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Glad to hear it -- how did you get pics of my Mishi? LOL! Those jumping cats look just like him! He's like that EVERY day!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Re: yay!

Originally posted by aguu
    He is bouncing off walls!! He acts kind of like this;

Silly, silly kitty
    Good description!

I'm so happy he seems to be better and things are working out for him.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

What is the Metamucil doing?
    I am happy sweet Mishka is better. He is such a cutie

Thanks Barbara!
    I think he's a cutie too!
    Apparently the Metamucil is actually "bonding" or firming up his stool a little. This is a pleasant surprise to me because I always though that the fiber does the opposite....

I have the same problem!

I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and it is controlled by taking Metamucil every day! If I get off of it for even a few days, it is back to diarrhea after every meal! I don't know how it works exactly but the Metamucil fiber works like a charm! Sooo glad your vet (2nd) was wise enough to see this!!!

Hugs to Mishka!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!