Thread: eating strange things

eating strange things

Hi,
    Sahara is my 10 year old german shepherd. These past two months she has been bathroom garbage diving. She has eaten used feminine products. Nine the first time, vet made her vomit one and then she passed 8. Second time she passes one, then nothing for a week. . She ended up having to go to emergency clinic for vomiting causing severe dehydration and tachycardia.

I almost lost her.

My question is how many of your dogs eat used feminine products. She has only started doing this this year.

My dog Bailey will not eat used feminine products but she dives into the bathroom trash all the time.

She will usually go after tissues someone blew their nose on or sometimes QTips used to clean our ears. This morning we had to use a square of gauze and some medicine on our other dog's ears and she got the used gauze out of the trash too!

By the way, Bailey turns 1 in a week. I hope she grows out of this phase!

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

I have two GSD one is 2 and the other is 1 1/2, neither get into the trash. Mostly because all of my trash cans have lids on them, but if something is sticking out a little, they will grab it!! Mine take what ever is on the kitchen counter!! Towels....food....they like chewing on banana's that's for sure!! But no, they don't get into the bathroom garbage!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I can tell you after the money and fear of losing her, she will never get into another garbage can again.

She will sneak anything she can reach off the counters, tables etc, so I was always careful there, but this last time she went out of her way to eat the products. I fixed my house buit then she did at someone elses house. So from now on she will definately be under a watchful eye

Kai loves eating feminine products. He only goes in the trash for that. I just make sure I close the door when it's "that time". The only other strange things he eats are books. He tends to pick the more expensive books...gr

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Ah, I also have a 10 year old german shepherd. She is also very interested in the garbage...And the fridge...and the cupboards...and the doors...Let's just say my dog is Miss Houdini the mischief maker.

All I can say, is put the garbage and products behind a secure door.

Because of the problems with my dog knowing how to open doors, there must be a lock on every one. It's annoying, but atleast there will be no more joy rides through the neighborhood.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by Sahara
    I can tell you after the money and fear of losing her, she will never get into another garbage can again.

She will sneak anything she can reach off the counters, tables etc, so I was always careful there, but this last time she went out of her way to eat the products. I fixed my house buit then she did at someone elses house. So from now on she will definately be under a watchful eye
    I think it's time to bring out the hot sauce! Bring out objects of no real meaning to you, put hot sauce on them, and leave for a while. (Leave water). When you come back, I'm sure that you will find hot sauce-laden objects all over the place and a drinking dog guzzling down the water. Some think this technique is inhumane, but it's only a little hot sauce, and no real damage. It has been used by pros
    I've been BOO'd!

If Kai decided to chew more things...the hot sauce technique wouldn't work. He LOVES spicy things...weirdo Lol

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]