Thread: Not exactly new but haven't really posted before...

Not exactly new but haven't really posted before...

I've been browsing this site and have been a member for months, but somehow never posted. I love coming to see the posts and sweet pets almost daily, and the only reason I signed up was to vote in the cute contests you all hold.

I have 3 pets, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I love them all dearly, but I am now awaiting my dream pet, the animal I have loved as the best since I was a small child, but never got a chance to own. A bird. I LOVE LOVE LOVE birds, and have always loved them with all my heart. My mom grew up with cats and my dad with dogs, so they never really knew much about birds and didn't realize how much I really wanted one. When I asked for a bird, my dad got me 2 dogs instead. Mrs. Zippy (pronounced Mississippi) and My Amy (pronounced Miami). I love them both with all my heart, but I have to admit, I wasn't that happy when they came home. Two dogs made me fear I wouldn't ever get my dream bird, the animal that I adore more than any other. I was sad, but quickly got over it when I discovered how sweet they were and how much they wanted to play and cuddle. I love them SO much and wouldn't give them up for the world, but I still want a little bird, that I could give head scritches to, that I could teach songs to, that I could play with and talk to, and get a response with a *word*, and that would live long and be with me for several decades. As much as I loved and still love my dogs, my heart and mind never strayed from the desire of having a little bird.
    2 years ago, my mom went to PetsMart to buy toys for the Mrs. Zippy's birthday. They had kitties up for adoption, and my mom just fell in love with one. Needless to say, Mrs. Zippy's birthday present ended up being a cat. Now I always loved cats and was happy to have a little kitten in the house, but cats being predators to birds made it even more difficult for me to get my dream bird. Toki Yo, my cat, now spends much of the day playing in the outdoors. We moved to the country and live in a very safe area where there are no cars and no dangerous animals, so its safe to allow her to play outdoors in the day. She loves it, but never strays far from home. Her litter boxes and food bowls are in the basement, and she has a pet door to go there and come in the house. In the house, she enters in the living room and has the run of downstairs.

Now, for my 18th birthday, I am FINALLY getting my dream bird. I just graduated from highschool and will be going to college close to home, so I'll be living home and driving to school everyday, therefore I won't be moving out for several years. I am very happy with this arrangement since I never wanted to live in the dorms. I like staying home, with my family and pets.

I plan on getting a little bird before getting a big one. I just want a bird, whatever it may be. I'm looking into getting a cockatiel. They are so sweet and can learn to talk and whistle very nicely. My parents have installed a door upstairs after the stairs that closes upstairs from down, so the dogs and cats will have no way to come upstairs where my birdie will have the run of the house, I'm SO excited, and I can't wait to get a feathered friend. Someday, I want to get every kind of parrot there is, but right now I want a sweet little tiel. I might get a pair, but we're not sure yet. I got my parents approval and we visited several breeders and are getting there. I can't wait. The bird of my dreams is hopefully coming home soon!

So that's my story. I know you might find my pets' names strange, but I like naming them cities or states, and messing around with the spelling to make something neat. I'd love to hear about your pets and their stories, and I'd love to hear about the little birdies who's mommies post here. Even though I don't post much, I'm always lurking around. I'll let you all know as soon as my little birdie comes home!
    Mom to Mrs. Zippy (maltese pup), My Amy (golden retreiver pup), and Toki Yo (orange main coon kitty). I plan on getting a bird soon, the pet I've always wanted.

Welcome to posting on Pet Talk. You have been "lurking" for quite some time.

I hope your plans of getting a bird work out for you. I am sure you have researched all that owning a bird involves, and about the interactions between your pet dogs, cats, and birds.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Thanks Fuzzy. Oh I have researched A LOT! LOL For years actually. I have like 5 books of pet birds and and am always on bird sites, so I know quite a lot about them. Also, my best friend has a cockatiel and a conure, and she's had them for several years now. I'm so sure I want a cockatiel as my first bird and I'm very prepared and ready to take the responsibility. I'm SO excited. Hehe. I'm not really worried about my dogs and I think my maltese is actually good enough with small animals to get to play with my bird sometimes, but I will need to be certain about that first and be sure its safe. I don't think my kitty will ever get to meet my bird because she thinks birds are snacks. No way is she coming near my little birdie. She'll get all her loving downstairs.
    Mom to Mrs. Zippy (maltese pup), My Amy (golden retreiver pup), and Toki Yo (orange main coon kitty). I plan on getting a bird soon, the pet I've always wanted.

welcome to pet talk

Welcome to PT!

Glad to hear that you are finally on your way to getting the birdie you've always wanted. Please do let us know when you get it (or maybe them)
    I'm sure everyone would love to see your dogs and kitty if you ever get a chance!

PS I love how you've spelled your pets names

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Welcome to Pet Talk!

I love your pets names. Great idea.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

WELCOME petsrthebest! im soooo excited that you are a birdie lover! i LOVE birds to, sooo much! I had to go through quite a few pets as well before getting my dream bird.

I own a Black headed caique named tiki, you can see her in my sig. she is the love of my life and my world is centered around her. she is the biggest clown i know!

although i LOVE birds very, very much, she is my only one. but she is an attention hogger anyways. lol. I really think you should get one!

I can tell you'll be a very responsible owner. I agree, its a great idea to get a small bird first! even though tiki was my first real parrot, ive had parakeets and canarys in the past, but nothing like tiki! lol.

Cockatiels, although ive never had one, are real big sweeties! i think they would make wonderful first birds!

if you have any questions about how to work this site and/or about getting a bird and what its like to have one, feel free to ask!