Thread: Ruby keeps scratching her bedroom door!

Ruby keeps scratching her bedroom door!

We got a kitten about a month ago from the Humane Society. Ruby is about three or four months old (the vet and the Humane Society have different guesses at her age). Every night at ten o'clock we put her in her bedroom with her food, water, litter box and her favroite toy because she can get into places, but cannot get out of those places in the house, so we can't find her. In the morning, as soon as she hears one of us go to the washroom, she scratches on the door of her room and starts meowing until we let her out. You would think that this would not be a problem, but sometimes we take this trip during the night and we can't get back to sleep because she keeps scratching on the door and meowing. If we let her out of her room, she jumps on everyone's bed and wakes us up. We would all really appreciate any suggestions anyone has about our little problem. Thanks.

Have you tried keeping her in your room with a cat bed on the floor. If she jumps on the bed put her back on her bed. If she keeps waking you up, put her in the spare room. Hopefully she'll learn to stay in the same room as you guys, she has to be quiet.

Playing a radio/tape of classical music in her room might calm her down.

Or maybe you could adopt a second cat for company. If she has a friend to play with she'll not be bothered about getting your attention all the time.

We have two kittens around the same age as Ruby. We keep them in our room overnight, I find after 30 minutes of running up and down the bed together, they calm down and fall asleep.

Oh I am assuming that you are having a good long play session with Ruby to tire her out in the evening, so she doesn't see bed time as play time.

But enjoy her, kittens grow up so fast.

Since ruby is so young, she probably is beginning to adjust to her new home. If she plays on the bed with you in it, it could be that she is delighted with being on the bed with you. Perhaps you could allow her on your bed at night as she will eventually settle down. Young kittens will often play while we want to sleep, but this kitten behavior should not last too long. I concur with the other post, that getting a litter mate or another kitten should help the situation. When I adopted Solstice, she would attack the other cats, run and hide. But when I went back to the shelter the next day and adopted her sister-littermate, Summer, she immediately changed her behavior and began to run around the house, chasing each other.

Katie, it's me, Lisa Your friend. Note my username. Lol. Put something like old towels under the door to keep her from scratching the bottom of the door. You can also buy plastic coverings for the bottom of the door to prevent her from scratching. Good luck

By scratching at the door when she hears your movement she may be trying to convey that she craves your attention, so why not consider putting her on the bed and under the covers, so she can cuddle with you? This might settle her down, and meet her need for companionship.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

try this

When I got my kitten Maggie. I kept all her stuff in my bedroom, litter box, food & water, and bed. try that. My cat does the same thing. If im in my bedroom with the door shut I will hear maggies paws on the door and meowing she will keep doing this until i let her in.

I have two cats & we had to keep then apart for about a week when we adopted the 2nd. (just to make sure he didn't have anything he could pass to her) He would cry everynight when it was bed time. He'd cry until I got up & laid in the room w/ him for a hour or so. After that week we keep both of them in our room @ night. If you have time I would play for @least 30 minutes w/ them before it's time to go to sleep. On my husbands nightstand you'll find a basket w/ Bernie in it & on my side you'll find a kitty bed w/ Squeak in it. They both put themselves to bed now when we turn out the tv. Cat's are such creatures of habbits I even catch Bernie sometimes during the day taking a little nap in his bed I should add the food/water & litter box is in our room.

Ruby

Of my 4 cats, 2 of them have outgrown scratching at my bedroom door. I have high hopes for the other two - 1 year old Sweets and 2-1/2 month old Mr. Checks. When I go to bed, I close my bedroom door and the cats have the run of the house. (If I were nocturnal, I'd want the run of the house at night, too.) I have also found that if I play with them for 20-30 minutes before I go to bed at night, they will be quiet for longer periods of time. I find that holding string in the air out of their reach makes them jump and they become tired in a short time!

Hope this helps.