Thread: Beer?

Beer?

I read in a dog health book, that a large dog should be given 1/2 - a full can of beer a day I figure if it's in a published book, there must be SOME truth to it. Does anyone have any idea? Any information?
    I've been BOO'd!

I've never heard that before! Alex is deffinatly a large dog, weighing at 115lbs. I think that might even be bad for his health, with him being so old. I don't know.
    Dayna, Alex, Phoebe, Cleo, Rolo, Scooter, & Holly

Thank you so much Popcornbird!

I have never heard that. Keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily require any kind of expertise or knowledge to write a book, so don't believe everything you read! Check the author's credentials before taking any advice therein.

I could find no mention of giving a dog beer doing a quick web search, I know some people give their dogs brewer's yeast to help keep fleas away, so maybe someone figured beer would do the trick, as it's a product of fermentation.

Just because it is published doesn't mean it is true...

I have heard of beer being used as a home remedy for something ( Bladder infections maybe?) I have also heard that a small amount of alcohol can have health benefits for dogs, same as it can for people. Not sure if I buy it...I have never tried it.

Doesn't beer damage the liver?

Lol. I've never heard of that before but like Karen said, I know alot of people give brewer's yeast. I guess brewer's yest=yest=alcohol=beer? LOL

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

On other message boards I belong too, they said it was bad for dogs? I dont know...

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Doesn't beer damage the liver?
    Yes. And it sucks up potassium. And it damages brain cells. LOL.

Still trying to figure out why on earth beer would be good for dogs..................

the book looked pretty old, that might be it. Well, once I go back to the school library in September, i'll let you know
    I've been BOO'd!

I would never waste beer on my boys...uh...I mean, I would never GIVE beer to my boys!

I would never waste beer on my boys...uh...I mean, I would never GIVE beer to my boys!
    lmao! Ditto. I have no idea about the beer thing, but I gotta alcohol related story though. My late grandpa, he was a Cherokee who seemed to believe that liquor solved everything. Well, way back in the olden days, he would give his dogs tequilla to get rid of worms. My mom says it totally worked. It probably cured the worms and gave them freakin liver damage in the process though.

Originally posted by bnormal

lol!!!

Beer story: my manager at work has 2 beautiful black labs--Brittany and Zoey. He has a little fridge in his basement where he keeps a keg, and it has a bucket near it for overspill. One night, Brittany was being such a lover girl and just acting goofy--she's a bit reserved, so it was totally out of character for her.
    She opened her mouth for a kiss, and his wife smelled beer on her breath
    The girls had gotten into the bucket and drank it!!!!

They were both ok the next day.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

when alex the wonder dog was a puppy, my ex and i had our annual beer&brats in august party. a friend, a non dog person, placed her beer cup on the table next to her lawn chair and went to get more food, when she returned, she found alexs' snout in the cup, lapping fast. he had enough that he was drunk. i freaked out(he's on phenobarb for his seizures), called the vet er. the vet tech laughed, said it happened, and to keep it out of his reach from now on. he slept so deeply that night, snoring a bit. he never let on if he had a hangover the next day.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Beer is gross.

I hate when my mother drinks it everynight and watch how it ruins her.
    I wouldn't want to put that on my dogs.
    I wouldn't want to see them stumbling and bashing into walls.

Besides, it's discusting. They have better taste than that.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I don't think I'd ever give my dogs beer. But I did know of a person long time ago that had, a bull dog and they use to give him beer.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"