Thread: A question about hamster babies

A question about hamster babies

Hi, guys.....since I've never had a baby animal before, I was wondering if it was normal for hamster babies to cry all the time. They're about 10 days old now and are still in the tube with their mama...haven't seen them at all, still have no idea how many there are...and only see the mama when she comes out to get food. As soon as she sees me, though, she goes running back into the tube to protect her babies I don't mind this at all, but I've been hearing them cry more and more during the night. They cry pretty much during the day, too, but I notice it more at night because they're on top of my dresser which is right next to my bed. I think it's kind of cute, but I sometimes wonder if they're all right in there. Is it normal for them to cry like that? They sound like little puppies (which stands to reason, since they're called pups). I suppose there isn't much I could do if something *is* wrong, but I'm just wondering. I know it's how they communicate with their mama, but the frequency sort of makes me worry a little.

Am I just being a worrywort?

I figure they'll come out in a few days, probably by the beginning of next week, and I can't wait! I'll be sure to get pics of them and post them, too

Thanks,
    hamsterlover

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just let the momma do her job.

Re:

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just let the momma do her job.
    I am...just wondered if all that squeaking and crying was normal. I'm a first-time mama, too! She's doing a wonderful job, though. I know from what I've read online that she will bring her babies out when she feels it's safe and will move them to a new nest if she feels they're in danger, but I was wondering if she would delay bringing them out to the food if she heard noises. There's really no way around that...there's no place in my apartment that's noise-free, but they're in the quietest place possible: on top of my dresser, which is right next to my bed. Once we place the pups and it's just the mama, my son wants it in his room....I'm a little nervous about that, though! He's only 4.....

Anyway, whatever anybody can tell me about hamsters, I'll be glad to listen. This is the second one we've had, but we don't know much and this whole thing with the pregnancy and babies is completely new to us. I've never had as much as a pregnant cat, so I'm clueless as to what to do. But thankfully, this has been pretty low-maintenance so far.

Thanks guys,
    Donna/hamsterlover

yes it is normal for them to be whiny while they are in there mothers care. they could be play fighting or just wanting milk and cant get it. I wouldent worrie, my hamsters babies did the same thing . And they are all happy and healthy. I wouldent seperate thm from there mother intull they are 14-16 days old older for the females. good luck.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Re:

Thanks....they turned 2 weeks old yesterday and I'm going to wait another week. Talked to the guy at the pet store and that's what he recommended, since their eyes aren't open yet. They've been roaming around for food, though, and eating (just saw two of them...they're so cute!)....guess they're finding food by smell. Anyway, going to wait another week just to be sure, but no longer than that...don't want her to mate with the males or start killing the females, that wouldn't be good!

Thanks....now at least I know what they're doing is normal