Thread: Please help Handsome

Please help Handsome

I am a volunteer for Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League and I am sending this email hoping you will be able to help us and a Great Dane named Handsome. His full story can be found at http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story....&Story=5516997

Here is the latest update from his Foster Mom as of 7/14.
    Handsome had a relapse of demodex and was started on the Ivemec treatment. We did the graduating dosage until he got to 7.2 cc's a day. He seemed to do fine until around the third or fourth day of 7.2 cc's and then it was downhill after that. He would or could not get up, defecated and urinated on himself and was basically in a coma like state. We stopped the ivemec (and he got better, not totally but would walk outside) We took him to the vet and the one vet said the dosage is to high, but the other vet disagreed and said start it back. So we did and again the same results. Again we stopped. So I guess we will try the dips again. Handsome is for sure not himself. He sleeps most of the time and walks like he is drunk at times also. Anyone had similar effects while on Ivemec?? Would also be interested in the dosages other people administered.

The court date is Wednesday the 16th. I recently got a e-mail from Penelope Vile who was the other AC officer involved in the case and she too has left AC. So that leaves us with no AC officer witnesses. I fear that the case may be dropped. I went this morning to the DA's office and found that Luis Olivera will be prosecuting the case but he is also preparing for a murder trial and so they are unsure if he will actually be the prosecutor, so basically we still do not know who will be prosecuting. I am going back tomorrow at 3pm to talk to any prosecutor who will listen to me. I know many of you have written me asking me why Gary Naler (AC officer) was not arrested for not showing up at the last court date. I have no answers. Calley and I have been calling and calling and we get no where. Our fear is that this case will be thrown to the wayside because in NC it is a misdemeanor. If they can throw this animal cruelty case aside as horrendous as it was and continues to be, the fate of all the other animals that need a voice to speak for them are in dire straits.

Please help us get this story out to the public. Handsomes abusers cannot get away with this.

Thank you for your time
    Lori Gray
    MAGDRL Volunteer
    www.mid-atlanticdanerescue.com

[email protected]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bless his heart, and all those who are attempting to help him. I will never understand how these things happen. I do hope that a loving home will come for Handsome. The news coverage will help, I'm sure. I will keep him in my prayers.

Just an unconscienable case of horrific cruelty And the legal system seems to be only compounding the horror. I can't understand why the AC officer cannot be compelled to testify??? OR, why he would not WANT TO!!! Cases such as these HAVE to be elevated to the status of felony. I hope that enough notoriety will bring the case to court and then prosecuted to the extent that it can be!! My most heartfelt prayer is that Handsome, and is he just that, pulls through and finds that very special home he so rightly deserves. I'm sorry...I have no experiene with Ivemec treatment in dogs. I pray you get the answers you need. Reading of how badly he is responding brought me to tears. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, for helping this beautiful boy. Prayers will be said for brave, courageous, forgiving Handsome.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

If what they are using is Ivermectin, It can be toxic in some
    cases. This is from vetinfo.com;

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/ddemotreat.html

The more publicity this case gets the better.Letters, e-mails
    or calls to local public officials will help get this case of cruelity
    the notice & importance it deserves. Thanks for including an
    address for medical contributions.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Our Dudley has demodectic mange and we give him ivermectin when he has an outbreak, but in no way is it that high. He only gets about 1.5 cc. Granted, he is not 78 pounds (he is 61), but, 7.2 seems WAY high. We also give him cephlexin for the staph that goes along with it. We give him 3 pills a day and that helps A LOT.

Handsome is so pathetic. I will put him in my prayers too. I wish we could take him, but our AC says 20 is 15 too many and can't get any more and have to be grandfathered to keep the ones we have. I will look for some help for you as I am looking for funds for our no kill shelter.

Good luck to you and to Handsome....I hope the poor boy makes a complete recovery. Let's just "hope" we have another miracle like our Hope in Colorado.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Poor Baby. I feel so bad for Handsome. But atleast I know hat he WILL live up to his name one day. He is in my prayers.