Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a cat happy ?

He's really good about coffee and tea. He leaves them alone, however, a partly full glass will get pulled over so he can see what's in it if it's too far down to get his nose close.
    Randy

6wks is to young. 7wks is a good age. I gave my cats kittens away at 7wks because they were only nursing for the fun of it. 12wks is way to old so don't wait to late. I once had a cat I got at 9wks and she was the best ever. Let your cat go outside. That's what they like. Make sure you spay or neuter at 8mo. That's the healthiest age and it's the most effective. Don't declaw either. They won't scratch the furniture if the can go outside and scratch trees and earth. Collars are nice. Don't use the release type because they loose them non-stop. I'd put an ID tag and rabies tag on too. Some people like the type w/elastic in them. Make sure to give your kitty lots of love and attention. Some cats appreciate a cat door. You don't have to deal w/a litter box if you use that! Hope that helps>^.^<
    Gryphriends 4ever....

Remember: never hit or slap a cat, even if they have done something bad. Cat's do not respond to this kind of action, in fact it usually makes them more aggressive. A squirt bottle or loud NO will usually do the trick. We trained Ritzy to respond to her name and while she occasionally does her "cat thing", we have had good success with the loud NO RITZY.

Some things cats will just always be prone to do. You will find that most here are against declawing, because it is really an inhumane way of treating something that is a natural part of kitty-hood....

Kitties are just wonderful companions! They are bright and interactive, some are "lovey lap cats" and others are more discriminating about their show of affection, but it doesn't mean they aren't still wonderful cats.

From what I've read about Ragdolls, they are B E A U T I F U L cats, and also typically very sweet-natured (and they get REALLY BIG!).

Diet, stimulation (play!!!), and regular vet care is important, otherwise, add love and watch-em grow!

Good luck with your new kitty, we are all picture addicts here, so bring on your new kitty pics!
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Oh, and be careful about yarn and string - Ritzy has had a few close calls eating them! They are fun play, but supervised. Also, the toy fake mousies are great, but some cats like to eat the tails off....generally not a bad thing, but in a kitten it could cause obstruction....supervise play and take the mousie away when you aren't there to watch.

Kitties like little ping pong balls and wiffle golf balls too..things that roll and make noise (sometimes a crumpled piece of paper will do the trick!)
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Hmmm... seven weeks is just too early, in my opinion. There's a lot more going on in a kitten's life at that age than just nursing. They are learning social skills and survival skills from their mother and siblings. In a few more weeks - like 10 to 12 - they are much more confident and emotionally healthy, a small investment that pays off big through their life.
    Randy

Add rubber bands to the non-toy list. Those get eaten.
    Randy

True happiness....

I agree w/Carlotta. Cats need to be outside and that's what makes them happy. Their life may be shorter but it sure will be happier. Ok, ya'll don't get mad at me, I'm just expressin' my opinion.
    I'd hate to be kept inside my whole life. You may think "I spend most of my time inside" but you have the computer, televison, books, etc. You may think that toys keep them well occupied but as we all know(or at least I think we do)cats are highly intelligent. Do you think that they're so stupid that a catnip mouse or ball is continuously exciting?
    Cat gyms are nice but do they offer a lifetime of pure happiness? They wouldn't for me. If we love our cats as children(I do mine)then you should give them what they really want most and give them freedom. Cat doors are what I would highly recommend. That way you know you're giving your cat whatever they want. They can come in and out as they please and I suggest keeping their food and water inside to keep them in more and keep strays and birds out of it.
    You really need a collar for sure! Shelters pick up people pets because they were no id. They maybe fixed or even declawed but they steal them anyway. There should be elastic in the band so that they don't strangle. Get a rabies tag and id. It's cheap enough to do it but since it's your baby we're talking about...I think I'd be willing to pay an arm and a leg.
    Cats that go outside eat less since they aren't bored so you will spend less on food bills They are less likely to enter obesity if allowed outside to excersise.
    Most importantly, make sure your pet is spayed or neutered. They are less likely to I agree w/Carlotta. Cats need to be outside and that's what makes them happy. Their life may be shorter but it sure will be happier. Ok, ya'll don't get mad at me, I'm just expressin' my opinion.
    I'd hate to be kept inside my whole life. You may think "I spend most of my time inside" but you have the computer, televison, books, etc. You may think that toys keep them well occupied but as we all know(or at least I think we do)cats are highly intelligent. Do you think that they're so stupid that a catnip mouse or ball is continuously exciting?
    Cat gyms are nice but do they offer a lifetime of pure happiness? They wouldn't for me. If we love our cats as children(I do mine)then you should give them what they really want most and give them freedom. Cat doors are what I would highly recommend. That way you know you're giving your cat whatever they want. They can come in and out as they please and I suggest keeping their food and water inside to keep them in more and keep strays and birds out of it.
    You really need a collar for sure! Shelters pick up people pets because they were no id. They maybe fixed or even declawed but they steal them anyway. There should be elastic in the band so that they don't strangle. Get a rabies tag and id. It's cheap enough to do it but since it's your baby we're talking about...I think I'd be willing to pay an arm and a leg.
    Cats that go outside eat less since they aren't bored so you will spend less on food bills They are less likely to enter obesity if allowed outside to excersise.
    Most importantly, make sure your pet is spayed or neutered. They are less likely to roam and you help prevent unwanted litters. Males basically become a different animal when neutered. They are the most friendly loving animals on the earth whereas the tomcats they can become are not. Neutered cats are more likely to stay around you house and therefore less likely to be picked up by the pound.
    Don't worry about hunting. If hunting were evil and terrible as most people say it is then they wouldn't do it. Cats keep the rodent population down and rats can carry horrible diseases if the population becomes to large. You should have kitty vaccinated for everything the vet will give you to prevent FIV, feline distemper, and other things that will make your cat unhappy or...just gross.
    Also use a flea and tick repellent. You sure don't want to bring in the that kind of trash!
    Hope this helps!>^.^<
    Freedom is a beautiful thing.

Usually I would say let a cat out, if it is relatively safe but in this case I have changed my mind. You can't let a Ragdoll cat outside.

Ragdolls are too friendly, they can wander away and get lost or befriend the first person they see and end up with a new home.

Sadly, they don't have any road sense and are more likely to have problems with RTA and end up being injured by other wildlife.

I would keep your kitten inside but with a second kitten for company (moggie or Ragdoll kitten)

All the best... I can't wait to see your new kitten.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 08-05-2003 at 05:41 PM.

I cannot agree with allowing a cat outside. That's sort of a 1950s mentality that is seriously outdated. Cats who never go outside don't know what they are missing so it's not an issue for them. I let mine onto the balcony (it's caged in) and they get the stimulation of watching the birds and people, sitting in the sun, etc. but are both safe from predators, ferral cats with diseases (like FIV, FIP and other deadly diseases that didn't exist in the '50s), cars, trucks, ticks and fleas. Their life is really better and they live a longer and healthier life. Yes, they look to you for more stimulation but why do you have a pet if you'd rather ignore it?
    Randy

any news on how soon you get your kitty?

Every kitty is different. Once you get to know their personality, accept them for who they are and not what you want them to be.

If you want a quiet kitty - you could end up with a talkative one.

If you want a talkative kitty - yours might be quiet.

If you want a lap cat - you could end up with one that only wants to be petted by facing away from you.

They will be who they are - love them for that and you are halfway there

These are not the droids you were looking for