Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is 14 year old Carrie

This is 14 year old Carrie

I now have a dilemma of my own.

This is Carrie. She is a spayed, declawed 14 year old cat that her owner dumped off at the shelter today because (and I quote) "She doesn't play with me kids anymore more." Her two children, ages 3 and 9 were both with her at the time. Her 9 year old son was clutching Carrie and sobbing, saying goodbye. The woman was sniffing as if she was crying. I told her "Look lady, can the fake tears, you get no sympathy from me, turning in a 14 year old cat you've had since she was a kitten."

What the hell does she expect this 14 year old cat to do??? Jump through hoops??? Go chase a ball?? In human years, Carrie is 98 years old!!!

After spending a little time with her, I went to the director and told her I wanted to take Carrie home and foster her (probably till she goes to the RB at this point) providing they update all her shots, test her for Feline Leukemia and Aids, and put Revolution on her. She agreed.

Call me a crazy idiodic whackjob, but I cannot in good conscience let that poor old sweet cat spend the rest of her days in a cage, in a hot garage at the shelter.

She's coming home with me on Monday after I drop my daughter off at the airport.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

14 is not old! My cat Samantha is 15 and she still plays with my kids!
    How can she just get rid of the cat after 14 years?
    What is wrong with that lady? Is the cat healthy or is there something she wasn't telling you?
    Thank you for taking her in, do you plan to just foster her or maybe keep her?
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

I wonder what lesson the 9-year-old will learn from this. Maybe that when Mom's too old to "play" anymore, she should be dumped in a nursing home and ignored?

I hope he remembers his tears, and your entirely justified anger, and grows up to believe that pets are not playthings to be used up and thrown away.

It's good and generous of you to take Carrie in. Poor sweet girl! My Keke only made it to 13--I would have given anything to have had her around a little longer.

Oh Donna, you are far from crazy. What you are doing for this kitty is such a blessing. Just seeing the picture of her looking scared in that cage, wondering what is happening, brought tears to my eyes.
    I would have had a few more chose words for that uncaring woman.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Originally posted by CatsinDenver
    I hope he remembers his tears, and your entirely justified anger, and grows up to believe that pets are not playthings to be used up and thrown away.
    I have a feeling he will remember. When I was just out of high school, my mom got on a kick and wanted to adopt a dog. We adopted a shepard/rottie mix and I was IN LOVE. We called him Lucky.

Lucky wasn't so lucky. My brother left our back door open and Lucky was in the house all day (I grew up with outside dogs ) and actually scared MY bird to death, tore apart a pillow and ate a video. I wasn't mad at him, he didn't know what he was doing and hadn't had obedience training yet.

A few days later, my mom had my brother drop Lucky off at the POUND at night while I was at work. When she told me her plans, I sat out with Lucky and cried my eyes out.

I'll NEVER, EVER, EVER forget that. Pets are not for throwing away!!!!

To this day, I will not let my mom get another animal on one of her whims. (at all, basically)

I hope that helps a bit Donna to know that I would almost gaurantee that boy wont let her live that one down.

I would be doing the same thing as you are...thanks for being there for these sweet souls. These people don't deserve to breathe the same air.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

BIG HUGS to you Donna and a few for that precious kitty, too.

Donna, thanks for caring enough to take in an elder cat from a shelter. I took in Max for the same reason, not because he was abandoned (his previous owner was now confined to a home), but because of his age, he looks to be about 15 years old and possibly older. He looked so lonely in the shelter cage, and I knew that it would be difficult for him to find another home. because of his age. All Max does is sleep and eat, he is really no trouble to care for. Neither is he demanding of attention. Although he is an older cat, his jumping and fighting abilities are not delpleated. He is learning to jump the 6 feet from the sink to the frig top, from a still position. He does not cower from Otis' attacks either.

I am afraid that our society is too youth oriented, and this "philosophy" is applied to pets as well. I would not be afriad to adopt other older furkids because of their gentleness and undemanding demenor, if they were all like Max.

........wayne

Donna,

I think you are wonderful for taking in an older cat. I wish I could have another kitty for Bastet but sadly my living arrangements only allow for one.

That little boy seemed to love that cat - I wonder if his mum was using it as a form of peverse punishment. It seems to me his tears were genuine. I feel for him and the cat. The mum should learn what it feels like to be alone and abandoned. I wish you all the best. I am really glad that there are people like you (and everyone else for that matter) in the world.

Compassion for a creature is a wonderful thing to have.

HUGS and Head bumpies from Bastet and her human.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Donna,

Big hugs to you from me and Ally for taking in poor Carrie. I am sure you will be rewarded

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

People never cease to amaze me!

I wonder what people are thinking when they drop off a pet of 14 years. Maybe the cat needs to be played with.....or maybe it is ill...I surely hope not. I would check for diabetes, since it is old and seems to be a tad chubby.

Bless your heart for trying to give this little Ms. a home for the rest of her furry life.

SAS

How can you give away a pet you've known for 14 years?

Donna, I am so glad that Carrie gets a chance to have a quiet age at your home. It's so important there are people like you

Good for you. I'm sure she will be a lovely companion.

Donna, big hugs for being so caring and taking care of sweet Carrie. Please give her a kiss from me.

Originally posted by CatsinDenver
    I wonder what lesson the 9-year-old will learn from this. Maybe that when Mom's too old to "play" anymore, she should be dumped in a nursing home and ignored?
    Talk about sweet revenge...
    "Mom, remember the time that you took our sweet kitty of 14yrs to the shelter? Well guess what? For your 82nd birthday, we're doing something just as swell. We're having you put to sleep."

Bless you Donna for taking in this poor, confused soul.

Maybe she just didn't want to play with THEM!
    I think they can sense betrayal.

Tell her that at your house you honor the elderly.

Thanks for your caring.