Thread: Malpractice

Virginia Beach, Virginia/Geneva, Switzerland/New Brunswck, Candada

Malpractice

My beloved dog, Dinky had a minor operation for his ear infection. Two days later, he was totally blind (at 8 years old) and my Vet sent him to a Veterinarian Opthomologist. One month later, I had to have him put to sleep due to debilitation, almost overnight. I am shattered and know something happened during that operation that I was not told. I believe I have a malpractice suit, but do not know how to go about it? When I took him for his operation and blood tests, the Vet said he had a very high white cell count and had to have extra medication during operation. When he was put to sleep, in my arms by another loving Vet, she examined him after death and said he had a stomach tumor, or so she thought. The first Vet was negligent and did not even examine Dinky's ears when I returned two days later when he went blind. After Dinky's operation, the Vet phoned me to tell me about another dog who had had to have stitches and something else and I was confused and said, "What are you talking about?" She said, "Oh! You are not so and so?" She was not even talking about my Dinky.
    I delivered Dinky in Switzerland. I brought him to America and we crossed the U.S. by car and lived on the west coast for a while. He has always protected me and was too young to die, and certainly, too sweet a dog to suffer how he suffered from this Vet. What to do? Any suggestions?

Im a teen and can't help you but Welcome to Pettalk...

I am also a teen. The older members will have awesome advice.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet beloved pet, he will always live on in your heart and in the hearts of the people who he touched.

I wish you all the luck in the world. ::hugs::

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Wow...I'm so sorry to hear about Dinky.

I don't have any advice for you, unfortunately, but we do have a lawyer or 2 on the boards--maybe they will see this post and offer you some advice.

It certainly sounds to me like something is fishy with the vet--I would definitely not let it drop until you got all of the answers, but remember, a lawsuit and all the money you may get cannot bring your beloved Dinky back.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

A long shot

Hi,

I am not an attorney, although I have worked for law firms for years and years, too many in fact.

My experience is that it is very difficult and expensive to go after a vet. Since your doggie was 8, I think it would be even more difficult. You have to picture yourself facing a jury with your claim. I am afraid you would have a hard time finding a lawyer to handle it.

If I were you I would count yourself lucky to have spent so much time with your beloved pet and then change vets.

I lost two cats to an infection that could have been caught earlier.... both were young cats... I spent thousands of dollars trying to save them. I considered going after the Vet for their deaths and decided to consider it a very expensive lesson, in many ways, not just the pocketbook. My heart is broken from the event. The vets did the best they could....so I switched vets.

I would put this behind you and try to figure out a way to prevent this the next time. Ask for reports, xrays etc.

So sorry you have had such a rough time of it. Bless your pup. Rainbow Bridge is just full of our little furry creatures. RIP pupster.

Virginia Beach, Virginia/Geneva, Switzerland/New Brunswck, Candada
    Thank you for the people who responded about my dog, Dinky. I know I should let it drop, but I will send a letter to the Vet who I feel was negligent with him and end it there. It is such a pleasure to be surrounded by souls who love God's little four legged creatures! Without animals, the human race could not survive!

With love and light,
    Roberta (Dinky's Mummy)

Oh Roberta, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending lots of sympathy and support your way.

I am very sorry for your loss. How terrible when we lose our beloved pets and your loss was so untimely. He sounded like a wonderful comforting companion and you were so lucky to have had 8 great years with him.

It is unfortunate that the law still considers animals to be property or chattel. Therefore the most you can sue for is actual damages which is the value of the property. So unless Dinky was registered show quality animal with potential breeding rights then the value isn't very high. Of course I am not a lawyer so perhaps I am wrong.

Now in my opinion and I sure everyone elses here Dinky's worth is priceless.

Denyce

i am so sorry to hear about your loss,my heart and prayers go out to you .and although i am not familiar with how the law work regarding your situation i do think you should definatly consult a lawyer that specializes in such cases .it definatly sounds like malpractice to me ,unfortunatly there are heart less vets out there i wish you the best of luck ,and if you cant file a suit please do all it takes to prevent this from happening again,in memoryof your precious angel that is now in heaven waiting to reunite with you one day. go public about it maybe if you can get some kind of press involved someone out there might be able to further help you.

We all here at pet talk feel the same about our pets, and we all send sympathy and support your way, and pray for you that you may find comfort now that your beloved pet is gone but never forgotten!!!!

Welcome to pet talk.... and remember we all are her for you!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

At the very least, isn't there a board or Better Business Bureau type of thing that regulates vets? I would write a complaint to them. You never know, they might have had other complaints.

I am so sorry for your loss!

I agree with the rest of the board. I think it may be too costly to go forward with a case against the vet. I think about the only thing to do now is write the Vet a letter expressing your concern about the treatment Dinky recieved, However don't be threatening. If anything sometimes writing it down make you feel better.

I would make sure all of my friends and co-workers and anyone else with pets know what happened with this Vet and I certainly wouldn't recommend him/her to anyone.

We will keep Dinky in our thoughts and prayers....Dinky if you meet up with my MacDuff and the other Spike at the Rainbow Bridge tell them we miss them.

Lisa, Max and Spike