Thread: Kitten born in my heating vent!! Only one though.

Kitten born in my heating vent!! Only one though.

Not to long ago I took in a female cat, I was told she had been fixed by the Vet. WRONG!!!! I guess when they rescue this group of cats she sliped through somehow without getting fixed. If I had known that she would have been house bound, like it or not, till it was taking care of.

Well she had a kitten in the HEATING VENT of my living room, today. Don't know how she got in there. I got the kitten out.....thank God. I just can't belive there was only one Kitten, she was just to fat for one.

So my choice is either the other kittens didn't make it and somewhere in my vent there are dead kittens.
    Or could she have had them in a different spot? Has anyone ever heard of a mommy cat doing that?

She in the house now going nuts and I don't know if thats because she wants out to get the other kittens or because she hates being inside. She never has liked being locked up inside.

I'm going to let her go out side just to see if maybe there is more kittens somewhere and hope she brings them back. Getting her back in the house is going to be fun though!!!

Has anyone heard of a cat having kittens in different spots? Or for that matter just having one Kitten with being so fat? I mean I was sure by the looks of her that she have 4 or 5 kittens.

I just pray there is not any dead Kittens in the vent.....How would I get them out? The one I got was just luck, he/she crawled to the opening. I've bent a fish net and have tried to feel around in the vent some.....no luck.

OMG Fox-gal, that is terrible. Is there any way that you can get at the bottom of the vent and undo it to make sure there are no babies in there. Oh I pray there isn't.
    I'm not too experienced in momma cats, but I know they can have anywhere from 1 to 6 or even 7 kittens.
    It's unusual for them to have the kits in different places.
    What time did she have this kitten at? It could take a few hours for her to birth her kits.
    Have you felt her stomach to see if you can feel any movement in there?
    Was she outside before she gave birth to this kitten?
    If you do decide to let her out, FOLLOW her to see where she goes.
    Oh I don't know what else to say. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you better than I on this.
    Good luck and please keep us posted.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

The only way I can see to get into the bottom of the vent is by going under the house.....I'm not that skinny. I can't hear anything going on down there after I got the one out....so I don't know what to think.

I let her outside and did follow her, all she did was lay down in the front yard and sleep. She back in now, not happy about that, so I left the vent cover off thinking that maybe she go back down there if any more where in there. NOPE.

She had to had the baby early this morning or even last night. When I got the baby he/she was all cleaned up, dry, etc. and really moving around for a newborn. I know when I when to bed last night she had not had any yet. I put her on the screen porch, made her a basket etc, knowing she was about ready to give birth, you can always tell when their ready. Well there's now a hole in the screen. So if she did have others they could be anywhere within 10 acres.

I feel no movement inside her, I know they can have them hours apart but I honesty belive she done.

I feel really bad...I should have locked her in knowing she was going to have babies, she just hates it so much. She will rip the walls down trying to get out. (The down side of taking in a wild cat.) Right now all I hear is her MEOW MEOW MEOW wanting out. But I'm not letting her take the baby outside. She not as bad as she normally is, I guess the fact that her baby is in here helps.

I just feel like I should have done more, I just thought she stay in the screen porch......she come in there before to eat and all.

Cute kitten though.....calico. So I assume it a girl......most calico are females.

If there are kittens out there and alive - they'll be getting hungry by now and need their mommy. I'd recommend holding onto the one you have and letting her out to look for the others. To get her back to the kitten that you have, you should just be able to allow the little thing to meow and momma should come running. you can even try a little high-pitched meow of your own if the kitten isn't loud enough.

Does she still look pregnant? I remember that when our cat had kittens, she slimmed down imediately. Also, can you get a look at the mother's teats? Kittens will root to a single teat, so if more than one of them looks like its been used, that could also indicate that there are more kittens.

Gosh - good luck and keep us informed.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Originally posted by catland

Does she still look pregnant? I remember that when our cat had kittens, she slimmed down imediately. Also, can you get a look at the mother's teats? Kittens will root to a single teat, so if more than one of them looks like its been used, that could also indicate that there are more kittens.

I didn't know that about the teat....i'll check that. thanks
    No she doesn't look pregnant.

Good news is found another kitten. In the vent again. I'm thinking she brought it to the vent......don't think it was born there. I'm sure I would have heard it if it was in there before. But all day no sound till about 2 hours ago.....then I could hear it. Thank goodness for fish nets. or I would never been able to reach in.

After this is done I'm going to have to send the husband under the house and fix the duck work. Don't need any thing else coming up. I guess this was one way of finding out we had a problem with the ducking. lol Always try to find the positive side.....no matter how small.

Please keep searching...two is still a small number for a litter....good luck!

I'm with Catland and Cataholic. Keep looking, if she did have more than one they will be getting hungry and probally start crying. Maybe you could go outside and listen for any mewing. I have had experience with 2 of my mom's cats who were momma cats and they were very (I don't quite know the right word) deligent and would get very disturbed if all of the kittens were not with them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Oh, I do hope you find them if there's more! Keep looking!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Cubby's birth mom only had 2 kittens. We did have a cat that had them out side then when she trusted us enough she would bring them in. It took her a day to move all 8 kittens into the house but it was well worth the wait. I agree with every one else keep looking. Follow her as much as she will let you. What we did when our cat had kittens outside, she would come in to eat then go back outside we would stand on the back porch to see where she went then after she got far enough away we would start walking and she would lead us right to them with out knowing we were behind her. If she wants them to hide that much you can also try that. Just make sure you keep a close eye on her.
    Katie
    P.S. Good luck

Found them !!!!!! :)

I got all the kittens, there is 3 that lived and 1 that died.

She brought them to me through the heating vent. They all look healthy and very very cute. I'm so gald she had the sense to bring them to me. It was a all night thing though, first one I found, second on she brought 5 hours later, next one was a couple hours later and then the last one about 4am in the morning. The last one is the one that didn't make it.

Their in the house now, in a basket I made for them, and the mom come in, through the vent to care for them. We decided to leave the vent cover off for her, she seems to feel better about being in the house knowing she has a way out I guess. A NEW FORM OF A CAT DOOR!!! LOL Won't need heat for awhile so we will worry about fixing it later on. First time I have been gald our house was build odd, a/c and heat run through differnt vent.

Thanks everone for the help and concern.

Now anyone in Florida looking for a kitten........ LOL
    Thats going to be my next problem to figure out. Well atleast I have some time before that one.

YAY for mamma kitty!!! So glad she brought them through. At least they are safe from all of the elements the outdoors can bring. At least you don't have to invest into a cat door for her to get in and out now . Cats can have some weird ideas and minds sometimes. I am very happy for you and for all the kitties and of course momma kitty. Good luck with all of them, try and post pictures if you can.

Katie
    P.S. I am posting a picture of my little Cubby which isn't so little.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL I think I'll tell my husband that we don't have to invest in a cat door now. I'm sure that will make him happy.....less work for him.

Of course I'll have to get my silly MinPin to stop falling in it. LOL
    Goofy dog fell in it 4 times today.....you think she learn.

Thank god that you have all the kittens and you can set your mind at ease! It would be the not knowing that would bother me , wheteher there were any more Kittens!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Prayers for the little one that didn't make it, that it passed safely to the RB to be greeted by all of the beauties there. Good luck with the remaining babies and mommy cat.

Oh my goodness!

What a story! I was lucky, that never happened to me. If one of my cats fell pregnant, I would help her out by putting blankets in all the nooks and crannies in the house, then show her where they were.

Lucky you found the rest of the kitties! For the one that died, good luck at the RB, little one!

Pictures of the rest please!!!!!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.