Thread: Help Buck is pooping in house again!!!

Help Buck is pooping in house again!!!

Well, When i woke up, I brought buck down(he sleeps in my room with me BTW!).... Like normal: Let him outside, I SAW him poop, And Pee, But about 10 minutes after he was in the house, He pooped on my moms brand new rug..... Any ideas???

Oh By the way, When Buck is outside(we have a big fenced yard)He looks over the left Side of the yard. After that, He runs to the door, Opens it, Then runs inside and stays right next to me. We have neighbors on both sides: Buck looks at the left neighbor, And the left neighbor isnt nice at all, He pushed my brother off of his bike when we were younger... I need suggestions on what to do!!! Mom said if he keeps pooping inside he will be outside Permenently !!!!

Thank you for the Awesome Signature, wolfsoul!

-ME

Is this a one-time incident? Amy idea what prompted it? Remind us - how old is he and how long have you had him?

What happens when he poops inside (what is your reaction)?

He might have learned that pooping on the rug gets him attention, even if it is negative attention.

A quick check up at the vet could rule out anything medically wrong.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Ok, In reply to Karens post: Buck was born September 19th that means hes 10 months old. we got him when he was about i think 2 months old, im not sure, he was a Birthday/Christmas present.(greatist present ever!!!)and he was potty trained in 30 days. Karen, Read down here for that last question, What i think prompted it. V.V

My reaction, well. i do all i really can do, Scold him: Yell at him, Tell him no, Then bring him outside so he doesnt eat it while im cleaning it up... of course my mom ties him up when hes out there, but he still wants back in because hes afraid of going outside for some odd reason. Thats why i think he pooped inside. I think its because some idiots were letting off fireworks yesterday in the middle of the day.... im not sure what to do, i did all i can do, i think my problem is resolved though, seeing as he is used to being outside now....

-ME

Some dogs go through a teenager stage right around 8-18 months, he may just be rebeling right now & may get over it.
    Also you said a new rug, maybe introdice new items to him slowly so he does not feel threatened or mark his territory. Also just ignore him when he goes potty inside & bring him outside right away. EVERYTIME you bring him out to potty go with him so you can praise him when he goes (just like re-potty-training him). You say he is scared of the outside so if you go out with him that will help, and also sometimes just out w/ him to play so he knows there is nothing frightening out there.
    And keep a good eye on your neighbor, if he pushed your brother off his bike & your deg watches him there may be a good chance he is scaring your dog? And inroll in obedience classes as it will help train your dog in numerous ways, he will be smarter, he will bond more, he will have more fun & he will be better socialized. Try to bring him places w/ you to help socialize him & to show him that he goes outside to have fun. But the biggest part again is to PRAISE hwen he pottys properly.

Is there anything differnt that may have changed? His schedule or food or anything? That may trigger this behavior.
    good luck
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

In reply to what Lv4dogs said:

First: We did Introduce him to the rug when we got it.

Second: My mom doesnt ignore him. But i do. I cant get her to ignore him...

Third: We cant bring him outside hes TERRIFIED!!. We found out, Hes not afraid of our neighbor. We think its because fireworks, I took him up to my neighbor about 6 houses away for Fireworks, 1 small bottle rocket went out and he dragged me all the way home.

Fourth: I Go out with him, Its getting him out the door. As soon as i get him out, HE Leaps down the stairs of our deck, And then Runs right back up and trys to open the Door, He opens our doors(Only opens the Front door, Back door, And side door . So we always keep them locked.)

Fifth: We still have yet to Nueter him And we "Most likely" Going to get Obiediance Classes.

Sixth: Yep, He pottied good 1 time(he was peaing for about 1 minute Seriously....), i pet him and told him good boy, But then he ran and scratched the door to go inside more.

Seventh: I Take him places Every time i can, But its kinda hard seeing as he gets car sick ...

Eighth: We dont exactly have a Food Scheduale He Eats in the morning, Then i feed him Before we goto bed.

Im not sure what he could be afraid of, Seing as its The backyard, When i bring him outfront hes fine... but i cant let him off his leash in the front yard, We have so many cats, He drags me on the leash when hes out there...

I NEED HEEELP SOOMEBODY HEEELP ME!!!

-ME

Maybe you could take him on a small walk each day, to let him go pee/poo? I'm not sure what else to say..
    I've been BOO'd!

Seamusk,

First thing I'd do is make sure I'm not reinforcing his fear.
    Make sure your body language and voice convey that you're
    totally unconcerned. I'd probably tell him what a "silly boy"
    he was being and then just ignore the fear.

Next I'd make the backyard just the most absolute best place
    to be. Get a really awesome treat that you only use for
    outside... Hamburger or Potato chip, whatever, just anything
    he'd die to have... Not some dried up ole dog biscuit that he'd
    normally get. I'd also get a really fun toy too.

Get him really interested in the treat and only give it to him
    while he's outside. Then try to get him excited about playing
    with the toy. The goal is to make the backyard a really fun
    place to be. So that's where he gets the best treat in the
    world and gets to play fun games.

IMO, the key to potty training is praise, not scolding. You have to
    make pottying outside the greatest thing in the world too.
    Since he's having issues, I'd probably give him the really good
    outside treat, everytime he pottied outside. If I caught him in
    the act inside, I'd make a noise to startle him, like "Unt!", then
    take him right outside. If he then finished up pottying outside,
    I'd praise him to the hilt and give him the treat. Also, I wouldn't
    tie him up outside while I cleaned up. Being tied up outside,
    to me, would make outside a dreaded place to be.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Ok, I Just need to tell you, Buck poops and pees outside now, but after that he Sprints for the door..

I can't really add anything to ParNone's suggestions - they are excellent. Remember to make the backyard the bestest place in the world to be. How about a big marrow bone? - or something else equally yummy. Remember only the best stuff for outside.

As far as his fear because of the fireworks - again just like Par says - make sure you are not telegraphing your anxiety to him. Think "happy - happy - joy - joy - we are outside having fun". When Leo gets fearful, I just tell him (think squeaky little girl voice) "Leo - what a silly silly doggie - lets play" Dogs have great memories - it is important that you replace the fearful ones with some happy ones.

Good Luck

Seamusk,

I notice on another thread you have another dog, Jefe.
    If he's a real confident dog, take him outside with you and
    Buck. If he sees Jefe having fun, he may not be
    able to resist going along with the other dog's attitude.

When my Collie, Oz, was a puppy I had some issues with him
    being fearful about going through doorways and walking
    on the leash. I went and got my Cairn, Murph, who is the
    bounciest, happiest, most fearless dog around, and we all 3
    started walking together.

Oz's fear, evaporated like *that*, when he noticed Murph
    having such a great time walking. He decided it couldn't be
    all that scary, if another dog thought it was the be all end all.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Originally posted by SeamusK
    In reply to what Lv4dogs said:

First: We did Introduce him to the rug when we got it.

Second: My mom doesnt ignore him. But i do. I cant get her to ignore him...

Third: We cant bring him outside hes TERRIFIED!!. We found out, Hes not afraid of our neighbor. We think its because fireworks, I took him up to my neighbor about 6 houses away for Fireworks, 1 small bottle rocket went out and he dragged me all the way home.

Fourth: I Go out with him, Its getting him out the door. As soon as i get him out, HE Leaps down the stairs of our deck, And then Runs right back up and trys to open the Door, He opens our doors(Only opens the Front door, Back door, And side door . So we always keep them locked.)

Fifth: We still have yet to Nueter him And we "Most likely" Going to get Obiediance Classes.

Sixth: Yep, He pottied good 1 time(he was peaing for about 1 minute Seriously....), i pet him and told him good boy, But then he ran and scratched the door to go inside more.

Seventh: I Take him places Every time i can, But its kinda hard seeing as he gets car sick ...

Eighth: We dont exactly have a Food Scheduale He Eats in the morning, Then i feed him Before we goto bed.

Im not sure what he could be afraid of, Seing as its The backyard, When i bring him outfront hes fine... but i cant let him off his leash in the front yard, We have so many cats, He drags me on the leash when hes out there...

I NEED HEEELP SOOMEBODY HEEELP ME!!!
    1st: If you introduced him to the rug it is probably not a territorial behavior.

2nd:
    My reaction, well. i do all i really can do, Scold him: Yell at him, Tell him no,
    How can you ignore him when you yell at him? Just don't do anything at all/

3rd:If he is terrified of the outdoors just be patient & practice A LOT, do not talk to him in a baby voice saying its allright etc... as it only praises him to act terrified. Like mentioned before give him a super good treat when out there & play with him w/ his favorite toy, after time he will learn that it is a safe, awesome place to be.Obedience classes will help this.

4th: Lure him outside w/ a yummy treat, also obedience classes will help here too. A properly used choke collor & proper training & he should be ok. Keep the doors locked if have to be, and never let him have his way, no matter how he acts make him obey any command before you let him in or out. This can be done for everything, before eating, petting, playing etc... it builds confidence & trains at the same time.

5th. get both done ASAP, it will help bunches. For both it should not be over a couple hundred dollars & well worth it! It is also part of being a responsible pet owner.

6th: EVERYTIME he potties in the correct spot praise him w/ a treat or pets, again keep him on a leash & do not let him scratch the door. Give him a sit command then let him in.

7th:By introducing him to the car slowly it should help w/ getting sick. Start by just sitting in the car for a minute or 2 as often as possible, at least a few times a day, them just sit in the car for longer (up to 10 minutes), then just start the car, then just go to the end of the driveway, then around the block, etc.... very gradually and if he acts up (pants hard or gets sick or destructive etc) just IGNORE him (I know its hard but it works) When he behaves calmly PRAISE! Also by bringing him to fun places instead of always the vet for ex. it will help overcome his sickness

8th: If he poops at night for example feed him earlier in the evening etc... Keep a note as to when he eats & when he potties then you will know when he has to go out to help prevent him from going in the house.

9th: If he drags you on the leash then 1st you NEED obedience & second you should never have & will never have control over a dog you can not control.

Good luck.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

As far as his fear because of the fireworks - again just like Par says - make sure you are not telegraphing your anxiety to him. Think "happy - happy - joy - joy - we are outside having fun". When Leo gets fearful, I just tell him (think squeaky little girl voice) "Leo - what a silly silly doggie - lets play" Dogs have great memories - it is important that you replace the fearful ones with some happy ones.
    That squeeky voice actually reinforces the behavior as it is the same tone as when you say "good doggie" Just act normal, be very stern or ignore all bad behavior. When my dogs ever act up(one is scared of fireworks & is a LOT better w/ them now) I just say very sternly "knock it off" Or sternly again "are you being a stupid dog".

OK, Buck is over it, Hes pooping/peeing OUTSIDE, Without Anyproblem.

BTW: I Used all the suggestions i got they worked

Thank you all, You guys are wonderful

-ME