Thread: Cat Throwing Up??? Help please

Cat Throwing Up??? Help please

Ok. I posted this in the cat health section, can anyone help me please?

Cat Throwing up?
    Hello, I have a 2 year old male cat. He has thrown up 2 or 3 times with in the last week. He throws up every now and then. I will be calling his vet in the morning to try and get him in. He just threw up again about 30 minutes ago or so. I of course got it all cleaned up, he went to the bedroom to laydown. I went into the bedroom to make sure he was ok. I started petting him and his eyes had alot of eye stuff in the corners. His eyes are almost always clean. He also started growling if I would pet him to long, he has never growled at me before. Is there any kind of medication I can pick up at a grocery store tonight for him to settle his tummy or what ever it is that is bothering him? He has never been like this before and I am worried. He doesn't seem like he is in alot of pain or else I would take him to the emergency vet. But his vet is 2 blocks away and I should be able to get him in there in the morning some time. Please help me.
    Thanks,
    Katie

Can I ask you some questions first?

- What does it look like when he throws up (food, hairball, etc)

- Are there any other cats in the household?

- Does he ever go outside?

- Have you used new clensers or anything out of the ordinary?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Very good questions Aly.

Katie do not go and get any medication from the drug store as you don't know what is wrong with your kitty.
    Take up his food but leave a little bit of water for him and take him to your vet in the morning. It could be some kind of virus like my son's cat had, even though he is not an outdoor cat. Believe it or not, the vet said that we could even bring in something on our clothes if we touched any cat that was outside or even at a friends house.
    Your little one will be in my thoughts and my prayers.
    Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I haven't changed anything at all. Same cleaners, same food that he has always eaten. His throw up has a small hair ball or two along with liquid and some food in it. We gave him some chicken from long john silvers tonight just a small piece, we gave that to him a few weeks ago and he had no problem with it at all. We have no other cats and he is a strictly in door cat unless we take him to the vet that is the only time he goes outside and that is in his carrier. I tried to look at his gums, I asked my mom and she said that it kinda sounds like he might be dehydrated. I am freezing a frozen mug he likes to lick the sweat off of it so I am going to try that. I haven't really paid attention today to see if he has been drinking anything. I know it has been hot here but we have had the air on all weekend. Could he just been very hot? I know when I get to hot I do the same thing he does. I felt him and he seems a little warmer than normal to me but I am not a vet obviously. I am just trying to think of why my baby is sick and throwing up. This isn't like him at all. He throws up hair balls maybe once a month maybe every 2 months or so. Any kind of help or anything you can think of will really be appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Katie

It sounds like your kitty might be shedding in reaction to the heat wave, and in cleaning himself, is swallowing some extra hair. Have you ever tried the furball remedy? There are several brands, but they all look like brown goo and come in a toothpaste tube-like thing. Your vet should be able to recommend a good brand for you. Also, you might want to try brushing his coat out every day, to remove the loose fur that he is otherwise swallowing while grooming. The fact that it's hairballs coming up is a fairly good sign - hairballs are usually pretty easy to keep under control, once you see your kitty having some trouble with them!

Good luck!

I do try and brush him, he is more about playing with the brush and smelling it. I haven't tried any hair ball medication yet. I wanted to see what the vet says tomorrow just to make sure. I don't want to give him medication that he doesn't really need. You know what I mean? Growing up I had cats my whole life and none of them got sick like this, yea they all had the occasional throw up here and there but Cubby has had one problem right after another the first few months I had him. When I talk to the vet in the morning I will find out if I should buy hair ball medications before I take him in and see what happens.
    Katie.

Thank you every one for the advice more is always welcomed.
    I am attaching a picture of my little baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh what a sweety!!!

I think it depends on the cat, too. I've also had cats all my life, and some never had hairballs, while others would throw up hairballs at least once a week.

Good luck at the vet, I'm sure that you will be able to work it all out Give that sweet baby some cuddles and scritches for me!

He just moved into the living room. He has been laying in front of the fan in the bed room but we just turned the air conditoning back on so he is laying in an area where it hits him. Don't let his good looks fool you, he likes to bite when people pet him to much or when he just wants to bite. I jut got him to play the 'hand game' with me, so I guess that's a good sign.

Oh good, it doesn't sound like it will be too serious hopefully. I can't wait to hear what the vet says. Please keep us up to date on that.

I'm sure your sweet boy will be just fine. Sounds like you're doing what you can for now until he can go to the vet. I know he appreciates a good nurse like you
    Alyson

He may have eaten a toxic plant/product... Go to the vet !

Future owner of a Ragdoll (I can't wait 'til August 21th!)

I have one plant in the house that he has chewed on before and has never had any problems. Every time I catch him chewing on it I spray him with a water bottle. So I don't think that can be it, but tomorrow I will find out for sure. I guess anything is possible at this point.

Take his food and water from him until he stops

This morning I woke up and to my suprise Cubby is back to his old self, I just got off the phone with the vet and they told me just to watch him today and make sure he is back to his old self and make sure he is eating a drinking. The women said it is a hair ball problem and said I can come in and take a few sample treatment. I also need to find a way to brush him every day. Once he sees the brush he thinks it's time to play. Thank you every one. If he takes a turn for the worse sort to speek I will keep you all updated along with a vet visit.
    Thanks again every one,
    Katie and Cubby

So glad Cubby is better!!

There is an over the counter hairball remedy that is available at pet stores. Its pretty safe and works well. Also you could switch him to a hairball remedy food. Shiloh is on a food that helps with hairballs and she almost never gets them anymore.
    Alyson

That's what the vet said too. I never knew they made hair ball food. I guess I just never took the time to look and see what different kinds they have. Today when hubby gets home he and I will have to go to the vet and get the samples and get a bag of food and see how it works. I only want to get the samples of the medication to make sure Cubby will take it with out any trouble. I have never had to give him any kind of medication before so I just want to make sure he will be ok with it. He is out next to me right now trying to get some lovings and everytime I pet him for a minute or so he thinks it's play time.