conditions,
    multiple breeds, and such. When you get home, make
    some
    notes so you don't forget anything. Then contact
    your local
    humane society and express your concerns. Hopefully,
    they'll take action against the "breeder."
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

THANKS STACI....awesome advice! I just think one more step is in order...before you leave, both of you grab the $#@&^%$%@ owner, throw them in the feces filled cage, run around and let all the dogs loose, then call the humane society!!!
    Golden smiles,

We think there are a couple of puppy mills around, but no evidence yet. I called the local Animal Control and they said if it's outside the city, they wouldn't do much, but would send an officer out if you have evidence that this is a puppy mill. I wish the people who run those things the same fate of the poor dogs. I'm big into Hamarabi's Law!!!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I was just reading a post on one of my poodle clubs and this girl has 23 poodles. Now, I want a lot of dogs. But how on earth does one get 23 poodles????? She also said she does all their own grooming. By the time I finished grooming 23 poodles, it'd be time to groom the first one again!!!! I hope this girl is full of it because I don't want to imagine the conditions of her home for the poor pups. I'm wondering if its some sort of puppy mill. I bet her dogs are inbreeding.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Spencer, you are absolutely right. It is a true mental disorder and although it still is cruel and horrid for the poor pets it is not someone trying to get $$$ - it's someone who is sick and needs help...every bit as much as the poor poor babies in that situation
    ~ at least I'm not...

The situation Aly and Spencer described brings up an interesting question. How many are too many? When does helping become hoarding? I've often wondered that, now I'm wondering it out loud. My answer is when the animals are not medically, physically and psychologically taken care of.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

I think too many are when you can't give them good food, a clean bed, individual love and care, have not thought or made arrangements for their care when you are not capable or not here anymore. An animal is not owned by you, they are in your care, you are the guardians.
    Chuck I don't believe that it is typically a 50 or 60 year old woman that would have many animals that she can't care for. I believe it is a person who is mentally ill, no matter the age or male-female, probably for company, for love, I don't think it is a case of animal hoarding. I think it is a person who is alone, most likely no family and the animals become her-his family out of control.
    Jackie

The girl who has 23 poodles doesn't sound like she loves them though. That is what initially brought about my suspicion. She doesn't talk about her dogs like the Pet Talk people do. She seems weird. My stomach aches for those poodles (all toys and minis).
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly, I know how you must feel, the poor poodles, actually I don't believe you are going to find many people like the people on Pet Talk who love their animals so very much. This is a very special place with very special people. Many people treat their animals as things to tie up in the yard, throw a dog house out there if they are lucky. I don't know how you work at the shelter, you have to be very strong to do that, much stronger than I am. I think you have to be careful working there, it may take a toll on you mentally, so make sure you get some rest and recreation.
    Jackie

Chuck, I understand what you are saying, I would think an animal collector would be rare.
    Did the article say why a person becomes an animal collector?

Jackie

Well it's hard to believe someone would describe animal hoarding as a lifestyle choice, get real
    It does sound like an obsessive - compulsive disorder and I do believe they think they are saving the animals when in reality they are putting them in grave danger.
    Jackie

I watched a Breed All about It episode on Animal Planet about the Japanese China and this couple had 31!!!! But they had to be well taken for or I wouldn't think AP would have had them on. Their house looked spotless. They even had some of them litter trained. They were all very well loved. But that was one case.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Very interesting topic!! I do believe that these extreme cases are rare and few and far between. They are obviously mentally unstable. I must say though, than "non animal" lovers have commented about my 4 goldens, 1 toy poodle, and 2 kitties on more than one occasion! They usually roll off my back.......but when people "assume" beacuse you have several animals you are dirty and crazy that's when I get mad. I have a woman i work with who made a comment about "not wanting to eat at my HOUSE" beacause of all the animals(1st of all..she was never invited!! )SO....to soothe her ignorant mind, i brought in a copy of COUNTRY DECORATING IDEAS, that my home had just appeared in, and brought it in and left in on the break room table!! I believe i got the point across!! Each case is different!
    Golden smiles,

Chuck, it looked like the woman was going to turn you into a collector for her. I'm sympathetic with rescue no doubt about it. I don't mean this to put it down, but sometimes it goes to the extreme when the animals are worse off.
    Looks like you were trying to do the right thing and got caught in the middle. That's a shame about your carpet, I don't suppose she offered to have it cleaned. No I didn't think so.
    Can feral cats ever be tamed? I believe the little cat I found on Christmas was a street cat, Baby, and she was so loving. In fact we were so suprised we have a chain link fence and gate around our property. One night a dog was trying to get in the gate and we were there and she went up to the dog and hissed and made a racket, of course on our side of the fence and I was surprised she wasen't afraid. She also had babies here and we found homes for all of them except one who died.