Thread: Puppies and Floors

Puppies and Floors

Guess what!!! We might get one of LabLovers lab puppies!!!!!! but... My dad is concerened with our hardwood floors! So what do you think about it? Do you have hardwood floors? If so are they scratched up by the pups? Can you tell that much? Is there anything I can do like clip they're nails or file them? Please reply as soon as you can! Thanks! Wish me luck!

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited May 15, 2001).]

We have hard wood floors and Daisy hasn't hurt them at all. Just make sure you keep your pup's nails trimmed and never let them get too long. Good luck convincing your dad!

Hi! I have always had labs...and wood floors! Yes, an exhuberant labs' nails can leave their marks on hardwood floors. But mine have been few. Ususally from a sudden exhuberant sprint, chasing one of the kitty's! Normal "walking" doesn't seem to do any harm; just the normal wear and tear on a wood floor, like us humans cause. I do have area rugs down in every room and carpet runners on my stairs, however, as most people with wood floors do and that helps a lot. And while I do see the occasional mark, they are few! They have little nail "caps" now that cover the dogs' nails and protect floors and furniture. I haven't tried them, but plan to soon for both my dog and cats. They are safe and easy to put on, and don't prevent them from being able to "scratch" themselves. Most pet catalogs carry them. I've also had soft pine floors! Now that's a problem!!! Even a dropped fork dents them! Good Luck!! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a new lab puppy!!!!

I have ash floors with a polyurethene finish. If you look at my floors casually you don't see any scratches, but if you do a close inspection, you can see them. It seems like the scatches are in the polyurethene finish as opposed to the wood, because you don't see any change of color. Although I have some throw rugs, I don't have enough. The key is to put them in the traffic areas, the paths the dogs use going from one area to another. And yes, it's that fast take off that does it, not the walking. When you have dogs there is a some level of "perfection" that you sacrifice. Anything worthwhile has its costs. Would I ever not have a dog, just so I could have "perfect" wood floors? That question is almost laughable. The love, devotion, companionship, solice, fun, enjoyment that my dogs (and I have two) provide are on a whole other level to what a "perfect" wood floor could possibly mean in my life. If I ever move, I will always have dogs, and I would put in another wood floor, despite the cost and despite the minor scratches. I hope this will give your dad some perspective. I wish he could see my wood floors so he could see, it's not that bad.

Jojo,
    Since I've already spoken up in an e-mail to you about my good luck with my dogs and hardwood floors, I just thought I'd say:

"COME ON, DAD. LET JOJO HAVE A PUPPY!!!!"
    Labs are wonderful dogs. Hope you win, Jojo!

Logan

Rachel, your comment was right on! I don't know why I didn't say it in my post, when I was thinking it, a little rushed perhaps, but....like you, I long ago gave up the notion of worrying or even caring if my house looked less than perfect due to doggie or kitty wear and tear! I can't say it better than you did! Floors, furniture, screens, whatever, can always be fixed, replaced or even ignored! But I can't live without the TOTAL presence of my kids throughout the house. It is their home as much as it mine. A knick here, a scratch there. They are all loving little reminders of, and tributes to, the love and fun we share everyday! I can live without that type of perfection. But I can't live without my babies and all the joy they bring into my life. And JoJo, I'm REALLY hoping the pup's going to be a "go!"

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited May 16, 2001).]