Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spelling does count in life!

Spelling does count in life!

I am so tired of reading words typed by some of our pet talk folks. Words that they cannot spell correctly and are too lazy to find the correct spelling. I am not talking about type-o incidents, I am talking about some of the easiest words - totally wrong! Of course there are times when words and letters get transposed. That is what "edit" is all about. I am not saying that the typing has to be perfect, just a bit closer to perfect than not!

We once had a deal when I was a child and that deal was that we were not allowed to say the word unless we could spell it. I think it helped in the long run. For some folks I suppose it is too late.

So folks, do yourselves a favor and take the time to look up a word if you don't know how to come even close to the correct spelling, so that the fellow pet talkers don't have to try to figure out what the heck you are trying to discuss.

Some of the topics of the threads are just so badly spelled that I have a hard time trying to figure them out.

Thank you.

I totally agree!!!!!! Actually, that's what "Preview Reply" is all about. I preview almost every reply before posting and catch any spelling mistakes. I've even caught my own mistakes days later and can't move on until it's edited.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Gosh, did you hit on a nerve that I totally agree with.

So many times words are spelled so incorrectly that it is painful to read.

I wonder if people understand that the way you spell can tell us a lot about you. Are you young, are you just lazy, or do you really not know how to spell certain words?

If you can't stop to try to spell correctly - how do you run the rest of your life? How do you treat your pets - the same way - haphazard?

All of us make some spelling mistakes........but when a post is just loaded with them I usually skip on to the next one - where I can understand what the person is trying to say.

We are thinking the same way today, SAS, Gini, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I have wished for a spell check feature on Pet Talk, just for me, and I think I do pretty well most of the time, unless my hands get moving faster than my brain! But sometimes, it is almost unbearable to try and decipher some things that are written (did I spell decipher correctly??)! It's as easy as opening up a new window on Internet Explorer, typing in www.dictionary.com and typing in the word to make sure you get it right! You don't even have to open a book anymore!!!

Today, I have really wished that all members would be a little more careful!!!

Well said, Sas!! I'm not english speaking in my daily life, but I do try to get it right when I post. Sometimes I have to look up a word and sometimes I express myself a bit awkward which is very frustrating, but even I can see lots of spelling mistakes. A typo here and there is OK, but most people have a spell checker on one of their programmes.

The way some express themselves on PT is meant for chatting, but PT is not a chat session. There are people from all over the world here, and I bet we'd all like to see the correct spelling.

It's particularly sad that so many young people use this way of communicating - what are they going to do when they get a job in the real world?

How lazy can you get??

Btw, this doesn't apply to "Cinder & Smoke" - because they do it really well!!
    Last edited by Randi; 07-03-2003 at 01:47 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

EXACTLY!

I know I'm not the greatest speller in the world. I really try hard to get the word correct and if it's way off or doesn't look right, I look it up. I hate " Internet Slang ". It makes a person look really dumb.
    What do I mean? Words like "Dat" , "Cuz", "iz"..or any other word with "z" instead of a "s"... The list goes on.

Dictionary.com is my best friend. I use it almost everyday. I've probably given that site more hits than anyone. Try it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I agree!!! I hate when words are spelled wrong--typos, ok everyone tries to get things out quickly, but just laziness, come one people!!!
    I haven't seen dictionary.com, but I will use it now. Incorrect grammar bugs me too, when I am talking to someone I am that person that has to correct someone, annoying as it may be.

Nothing beats the internet slang though, itz reely gitz on mah nerveez!!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

We can forgive Phred

We do need to excuse Phred from any of the above comments.

Creative writing is NOT spelling words incorrectly.

Phred's posts are entertaining and easy to read, even though it is in " Internet Slang " , Atleast you're able to understand it how he puts it.

Iz cuz i uhm uh VETT n meh doogg izz sikk buh daTz kEWl!!!!!111

-rx bandits

lololololololol...

spelling and HANDWRITING....

I ABSOLUTELY CRINGE when someone hands me
    a handwritten page and wants me to decipher it..

any doctors out there???? lol, for some their handwriting is legendary for being bad... people would bring me doctor's orders to decode.....yikes!

there are times when my spelling really sucks but one word of warning to all you youngsters out there.......

one day you will be at your job and someone will read something that YOU HAVE WRITTEN AND MISSPELLED..that person will make a snap decision on YOU, YOUR SCHOOLING, YOUR INTELLIGENCE, YOUR
    SPELLING-they may end up not liking your shoes for that matter.

that always goes over well when you look for a job-

Q: Why did you leave your last job?
    A: Well the boss had enough of my spelling and
    let me go...

All you peeps out dere!
    get ur actz togetha and look edukated!
    datz de way 2 get ahead in life!
    U R LOTZ SMARTUR then THAT!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I feel it is just plain lazy. I work for the post office and you wouldn't believe the letters we get. How many new states do we have............................. We all learned them in grade school, but seems people think there are new ones now.

Richard ~ You always make me laugh, Lol.

-rx bandits

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RICHARD
    [B]

they may end up not liking your shoes for that matter.

Richard, this has nothing to do with spelling. You just triggered a memory.

A few years ago, I had to interview some young women for a receptionist job. A young woman came in who was nicely dressed and she had sandals on her feet.

I had, just by chance, glanced down at her feet and noticed that her toe nails were just filthy. Then I glanced at her hands and noticed that they too were dirty.

It was though I could not take my eyes off of her toes. And the whole time I was thinking "and what is the rest of her like?"

She didn't get the job, but the final decision was not mine.

I'm off to shine my Chuck Taylors now....

-rx bandits

We must remember that when Cinder and Smokey write to us, it is coming straight from them, a whole different language!!!!