Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is No Holiday Special?

Is No Holiday Special?

Friday is July 4th - America's Independence Day. National Holiday, not based on religion, like Christmas, or anything else, it's the day we celebrate our independence.

And I am personally quite appalled that the supermarkets have signs up that they will be open "normal hours," that retail places are planning on being open, that so many people are going to have to work on July 4th!

Is NO day set aside as being special any more?

I implore you all (who are living in America) NOT to shop on July 4th. Buy all your supplies the day before, stock up on lemondade, and prepare to relax for the day. If all these establishments lose money that day, maybe they'll get the hint.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Makes me mad (despite a certain devil's advocate saying "but they ARE celebrating - with capitalizm").

i agree all the way karen! I wont be shopping that day! As if independence day really doesnt matter? Ugh......

The forth and Halloween are the only holidays i ever really liked. The forth isn't the same without being in Michigan with my family. It doesn't even seem like it's around the 4th of July. I normally don't go shopping anyways.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

dear karen, i'll accept your idea and not shop on the holiday. i make it a point to listen to npr in the morning (around 10 est) and listen to the yearly re-reading of the declaration of independance. still gives me chills, even after reading it/hearing it all of these years.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I have never celibrated independence.. day Geeze I cant even spell it, lol. But it is impirtant to americans, I think it should be considered a holiday, just like Canada Day is considered a holiday here in Canada. I guess it isnt that big of deal in Canada, at least to my family, no offence. I am baby sitting on July 4th, I love babysitting Marlin and Solomon *twin babies* .. there mom and dad are going to see the tumonator 3. I cant wait!!!!!!! .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

You bring up an excellent point, Karen! It's sad that in today's society, many people miss that point too! No shopping for us either. We will celebrate and remember with friends on Independence Day!

Don't go shopping on July 4th? That's when all the BIG sales are! July 4th IS a holiday and everyone celebrates, but I don't see how shopping on that day means it isn't a special holiday. Everyone around here is getting 4 days off. Maybe not people who work in stores because they are having such big sales, but other workers are off for the day, if not for the entire 4 days. I respect your opinion, but everything's on sale and well, we usually shop on this day if we're not gone on vacation. Its when we are all free, have no work, the whole family's at home, and we usually go to the park or walk in the forests nearby, and sometimes go shopping for the sales. In the evening, we enjoy watching the fireworks from home. (We live right by a park where the city does fireworks every year. Its so close to our house that from the window, it looks like the fireworks are falling on us. Very beautiful.) Other than the fireworks, its a long weekend to spend time with the family on go on little trips here and there for us. Again, I respect your opinion, but I don't see how shopping makes it any less special. Its our independance, and everyone knows that. I just don't believe shopping makes it any other day, other than what it is. Around here, EVERYONE shops, and the fireworks and 4 days weekend is what makes it different from other days, what marks the independance. If you mean that the shop workers need a vacation on this day too, then I truely understand what you're saying. They deserve the day off as well.

I know what you mean--everything seems to be open every day here.

We're open this Friday, and I have to work. Probably only about 4 hours, and we're closing early to watch the fireworks, but how many people go out to eat on the 4th of July?? I guess I'll find out.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

going out to eat and to a movie on the 4th

Originally posted by popcornbird
    Don't go shopping on July 4th? That's when all the BIG sales are! July 4th IS a holiday and everyone celebrates, but I don't see how shopping on that day means it isn't a special holiday. (snip) If you mean that the shop workers need a vacation on this day too, then I truely understand what you're saying. They deserve the day off as well.
    Exactly my point. For you to be able to shop, many many people have to work, instead of having the day off for a holiday with THEIR loved ones. It's not just the cashier, it's the store manager, the people who stock shelves, the custodial staff, the cashiers and the assistant managers/closers who close the place. And that's just for one store!!!!

My Dad always worked holidays, because before retirement he was a stationary engineer, and I understood that people NEED eletricity, even on holidays. But do they NEED to shop? Eat at a restaurant? No.

That's my point.

well no we don't HAVE to eat out, but that is a holiday to us, its how we celebrate a holiday, as is our choice. I don't go out that often to restaurants at least not that kind, or to the movie theatre, so its a treat and not something to criticize.

I have to work on the 4th of July. I really don't want to, I wanted to go to the parade and the balloon festival.

Exactly my point. For you to be able to shop, many many people have to work, instead of having the day off for a holiday with THEIR loved ones. It's not just the cashier, it's the store manager, the people who stock shelves, the custodial staff, the cashiers and the assistant managers/closers who close the place. And that's just for one store!!!!
    See PCB when you are enjoying your 4 days off think of poor me having to work and not getting to spend time with MY family.

I've never heard of anyone getting 4 days off for the 4th of July...at least nobody I know ever has.

Stupid Petco is open ALL the time....Sundays....I had to work Christmas Eve...New Years Eve...New Years Day...I swear they were even open on Thanksgiving.

I'm working of the fourth, but it's by choice. Friday is my normal day off so I chose to work because there happened to be a station available.

I'll be off at 5 pm, in time to participate in the neighborhood cook out and pyromania.
    ~Kat

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I have to work on the 4th of July. I really don't want to, I wanted to go to the parade and the balloon festival.

See PCB when you are enjoying your 4 days off think of poor me having to work and not getting to spend time with MY family.

I've never heard of anyone getting 4 days off for the 4th of July...at least nobody I know ever has.

Stupid Petco is open ALL the time....Sundays....I had to work Christmas Eve...New Years Eve...New Years Day...I swear they were even open on Thanksgiving.
    Really Amy? OMG! Over here like EVERYONE is off, other than people who work in stores. (the 4 days is 2 weekdays, + Saturday and Sunday) I never realized it, but now that I come to think of it, people working in stores, like you for example, must feel horrible having to work when everyone else has the day off. I was planning on buying the tiels a play gym from Petco because its supposed to be on sale, but Karen really got me thinking about the store workers. I feel bad to shop while they have to work, and we're all enjoying the long weekend. Maybe I'll buy it sometime later. Anyway Amy, I'll be thinking about you since you don't get the day off. We were planning on driving and spending the weekend away from home; maybe drive to neighboring states just for sightseeing, or somewhere, but we're quite unsure of it. We might just stay at home and watch the fireworks.

I understand what your saying now Karen. Sorry that I misunderstood you. Its just that all my friends have been talking about the 4th of July sales and how they're going to go on a shopping spree. I think I'll tell them to think about the people working in stores and not being able to spend time with their families. Maybe they'll change their mind also.

On the good side, I went to the library today and there was a sign that said they'll be closed on the 4th and 5th of July. At least the librarians get vacation.

it usually is the retail people that have to work,(and restaurants ) my father was in retail and he always had to work. my brother too. me also for a while.
    I do understand the idea of not shopping so they get the idea,
    but I don't thik that will happen. the 4th is a time to have barbeques and spend time with family and friends. that's usually what we would do , but this year it is just my mother and I and we don't want to barbeque , I offered to but she wants to go to a rib restaurant, I'd think she just didn't trust my bbq ability but she's been talking about this place for a while...

anyway happy fourth of July everyone
    Last edited by kittens; 07-03-2003 at 09:05 AM.