Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain

Back pain

Does anyone have any home remedies for back pain?

My back is very bad, and I've run out of ideas. I do the exercises my chiropractor gives me, I sleep on my back, and I don't over-exersice. I've tried ice packs, heating pads, and pills. Pills never work on me, so I gave up those, and the heating pads and ice packs don't seem to work.

The only thing that works okay is taking a good warm bath because it's relaxing - but it doesn't last very long. As soon as I get out, my back muscles get all tense and I start to hurt again!

does anyone have the same problem as me? Does anyone have any good ideas? Opinions?
    I've been BOO'd!

My back is ALWAYS aching, and I have tried all that stuff, as well and none of it works. The only thing that works for me is this blue gel, called Icy Blue or something like that. It's this cold blue goopy stuff that works into your back muscles and it relaxes and soothes it REALLY well. Hope you feel better!
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

Oooooo, I know something that works WONDERS when I injur my back (I don't have back problems, but once I took a bad spill off my horse and pulled muscles in my back). It's call Mineral Ice, and it's used on horses and dogs (don't let this keep you from trying it), but works great on people. I don't know if you have the store Orschlens where you live, but it's a farm and home supply store, and that's where we bought it (stuff is always cheaper there too). If you can't find it there, I'm sure pharmacy's carry it also. Maybe this will work for you!
    Dayna, Alex, Phoebe, Cleo, Rolo, Scooter, & Holly

Thank you so much Popcornbird!

I have lovely arthritis and use this stuff called capsacin cream-it's made from hot peppers-it doesn't burn; but, generates deep tissue heating which helps a lot-another thing is eating ginger snap cookies-it's something to do with chemical reactions-and hey if it doesn't work too well at least they taste good!!
    Ouch you poor baby!!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

Thanks for the comments, I'll have to try your ideas!

My back is fairly bad.

There is a muscle in my stomach that is too short, and it causes one leg to be short, which puts my back off-balance. I also have some jammed and immobile vertibrae. I have sacroiliac fixation, and I have hyperactive rotation. My massage therapist says it feels like I'm exercising too hard to build up for football lol. Yeah, right
    I've been BOO'd!

I know how you feel...I have back (spine) problems too...Icy Blue ot whatever it is really works for me! It relieves the pain..most of the time..I hope you feel better!

Don't spend so much time on the computer

Hehe seriously... my back hurts if I sit in my chair too much.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly
    Don't spend so much time on the computer

Hehe seriously... my back hurts if I sit in my chair too much.
    Lol, there's one of my downfalls!
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you have a bad back too...! I know ALL about it, he he ! The only thing that could take muscle-pain away, was a treatment at the ostheopat. Does this exist is the USA too? I'm sure it does! It is much better for you than chiropractor! I wasn't even allowed to go to a chiropractor!! Try ostheopathy! It isn't cheap, but it's worth a try, hey!
    Good luck

I have had back problems off and on for years now. You don't mention that you have tried any of the anti-inflammatory medicines that are available. You could start with anything containing ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin, etc.). I must admit that these offered me little relief the last time my back was giving me trouble and the doctor prescribed Bextra, an anti-arthritis medication, and it worked beautifully!! Without a prescription plan, though, it would be horrifically expensive - I think my hubby said it was over $2.00 per pill! I would start out with your health care professional (family doctor) and see what he/she has to offer. I have used the chiropractor also and have gotten some relief but it doesn't last.

After 25 years with lower back pain I can understand your frustration. I also tried every medication on the book and nothing worked. As Lut said, forget about chiropractors. If you can find somebody who does acupuncture, that will help you much more. It helped me for several years. Another thing you could try is rubbing in "Tiger Balm." It's used for sports injuries; it stinks but works well.
    Good luck!

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to ask my mom about ostheopathy, and although I want acupuncture, it's very expensive .
    I haven't tried ibuprfin, but I have tried advil. Are they almost the same?
    I'm so glad that everyone has such good ideas! I'll talk to my mom, and hopefully we can try some of them!

thanks!
    I've been BOO'd!

I sometimes have lower back pains too. When it was really bad (after moving) I tried laying on ice wrapped in a towel (for 10 min. at a time, no more!), and then I went to a chiropractor - it didn't help! My doctor suggested going to a physiotherapist, and I did - twice a week for 7 weeks, that helped! The exercises does wonders!

Make sure your mattress is right (not too soft) and don't carry heavy things!! And don't sit down for too long either!

Lay on the floor, bend your knees and press your lower back down, then lift your shoulders as long as you can hold it - it's also good for your stomach muscles.

You may also try putting a small pillow under your left leg when you're laying on the right side in bed, and the opposite.

But, have a chat with your doctor anyway! Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by Randi
    And don't sit down for too long either!
    Randi, this may be the hardest part. Remember Wolfsoul is a Pet Talker!

Wolfsoul, yes ibuprofen and Advil are the same. I agree that for serious pain they offer only partial relief. I hope that you can use some of the "remedies" that have been suggested here. It looks like we all pretty much have tried the same things and some work for some and others for others. Good luck!

For years I had lower back pain...nothing extreme just discomfort. I bought a hot tub 3 years ago. I am now selling my hot tub because my back pain is gone.

If you have high blood pressure a hot tub might not be a good idea. Consult your physician. I've also been told that their might be some tax benefits if your physician prescribes a hot tub.

It is worth checking in to.