View Poll Results: Is your dog afraid of thunder or rain storms?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 47.22%
  • No

13 36.11%
  • Sometimes

6 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your dog afraid of thunder storms?

Is your dog afraid of thunder storms?

Ringo has never been afraid of thunder or rain storms.
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Lolly is terribly afraid. I think it has something to do with her past (old owner was a cop and shot some of his dogs). I've had her for 2 years and she's just SLIGHTLY better than she was when I got her. She used to pant really hard, shake really hard, and not move out of the corner for ANYTHING. Now she still shakes and pants, but she will follow me around at least

Reece could sleep through a hurricane and could care less.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

our duke is really afraid, he cant stop barking and whingeing!

Tikeya and Oscar just whine and want in the house, I think that the prefure when it is sunny. I love thunder and lightning and power outages !!! they are the best !! :P
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

We've had two since we had Mickey. The first one just made him bark a bit but my mom held him awhile and then he was okay. The last one was in the middle of the night and scared him. It was like, one in the morning and he started barking. I had to go downstairs and calm him down.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

My dogs aren't afraid of them. I find that odd. But I have usd a cassette to somewhat get them used to them. So, they get used to hearing it on a ape, and they can't tell the difference between a tape and a real storm.

Jesse is just like me, rain or thunderstorms puts us to sleep. she goes into a deep sleep too, good luck trying to wake her.

No Chewy isnt afraid of storms,we get alot here and I love to watch them,I go out side before it starts to rain when it gets darker and start taking pictures of the sky....LOL iv taken Chewy outside with me so many times during storms that she will go out and run and play in the rain!

-Kay
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Buck doesnt think much of T-Storms... but Jefe... Thats another story. while Jefe Was a puppy, He was struck by Lightining. Hes terrified of T-Storms now....

Thank you for the Awesome Signature, wolfsoul!

-ME

the dogs only get scared when the storms are severe, like a few months ago it was awsome but poor clover didnt think so (would not leave my side, but me acting happy and ignoring her fear helped

the 2 lil dogs dont mind, but are not thrilled about storms either
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Yes, my hound Henry gets very upset during thunderstorms and when he hears firecrackers. He runs around the house howling at the top of his lungs and panting with anxiety.

I'd like to know how other dog owners deal with this. I'd read that dogs like to have a dark, safe place to hide during storms, so whenever the thunder starts, I clear out the bottom of my closet and encourage him to go in there, which he often does. He will also sometimes hide out in the bathroom. I've also found it helpful to close all windows and curtains during the storms, and turn up the TV or music, so that he cannot see the lightening or hear the thunder.

The worst thing is when we get caught outside when there is thunder or firecrackers going off. Henry howls and howls, and all I can do is try and get him home as quickly as possible.

Here's a pic of my big fraidy cat:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Henry the Harrier Hound Says
    " Resistance is Futile "

My lab was very anxious in storms

My mixed black lab developed a horrible anxiety to storms and blackouts.

She used to stand or sit on me when they were bad, and even wet next to me on the bed once, she was so scared.

I finally found that if I put her in her crate during storms, and sat and read next to her, she did much better, and was much less anxious, and so was I.

-Mark

I have two GSD and my 2 year old female could care less about noises..but my 1 1/2 yr old male runs around the house like a nut ball!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I have two GSD and my 2 year old female could care less about noises..but my 1 1/2 yr old male runs around the house like a nut ball!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

pitc, Sierra and Buddy are adorable!!!!!!!!

Rosie could care less.

Zoe, I think, enjoys them. We found her in the rain when she was a very small puppy and LOVES to be outside when it's raining or storming... although I won't let her outside while there's a thunderstorm. When the storms get really bad and there's tons of lightning, she loves sitting on the loveseat, looking out the huge front window at the rain and lightning and everything. It's so cute.

Molli sticks around me when it's storming. She also pants alot.

Bart, I think, MAY be scared. He always goes under the couch when it's storming.... but he's almost always under there anyway?